Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2019, 11:30   #1

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft
Canvas Bimini and storms

Good day all

We’ve only done coastal cruising aboard Rocinante from Casco Bay, ME to Key West, Fl. We’ve done a couple of overnights, but mostly day runs. While we always pick good weather widows when moving, we spend the bulk of our time on the hook and have experienced our fair share of gales and even one tropical storm. I’ve never taken down our bimini durng said storms and have had no issues.

Finally, the question!
When encountering heavy weather on passage, let’s say gale conditions, do you take down the bimini to cut back on windage or just keep on trucking?

Thanks for sharing your first hand experience!
Old 25-01-2019, 12:39   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Canvas Bimini and storms

Gale no, storm yes. My bimini is fine with gusts of 40-45 knots apparent, but if it gets there more frequently or higher then that then it’ll go down and leave just the spray hood.

I don’t know if it’ll handle more as I always have it down by then
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 13:23   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Gale no, storm yes. My bimini is fine with gusts of 40-45 knots apparent, but if it gets there more frequently or higher then that then it’ll go down and leave just the spray hood.

I don’t know if it’ll handle more as I always have it down by then
Thank you Tillsbury!
Just to be clear, I’m not concerned about the bimini blowing away or anything along those lines; As I mentioned, the bimini has handled substantially higher sustained wind speeds while at anchor.

My concern is boat handling. So, you’re saying your boat sees no degredation in handling with the bimini in place upto & including gale conditions... correct?

Yes, I understand different boats, might react differently; I’m just trying to get a general idea.

Thaks again!
Old 25-01-2019, 13:25   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRocinante View Post
Good day all

We’ve only done coastal cruising aboard Rocinante from Casco Bay, ME to Key West, Fl. We’ve done a couple of overnights, but mostly day runs. While we always pick good weather widows when moving, we spend the bulk of our time on the hook and have experienced our fair share of gales and even one tropical storm. I’ve never taken down our bimini durng said storms and have had no issues.

Finally, the question!
When encountering heavy weather on passage, let’s say gale conditions, do you take down the bimini to cut back on windage or just keep on trucking?

Thanks for sharing your first hand experience!
Your Bimini and other canvas had better be sewn with Tenara gore tex thread
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 13:36   #5

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRocinante View Post
Thank you Tillsbury!
Just to be clear, I’m not concerned about the bimini blowing away or anything along those lines; As I mentioned, the bimini has handled substantially higher sustained wind speeds while at anchor.

My concern is boat handling. So, you’re saying your boat sees no degredation in handling with the bimini in place upto & including gale conditions... correct?

Yes, I understand different boats, might react differently; I’m just trying to get a general idea.

Thaks again!
I don’t know about “no” degradation. With a “near gale” (around 30 kts) I have no problems. Once we’re into “gale” (around 40 kts) I’ve usually taken the better part of valour and decided that a broad reach is where we’re going. Presumably the Bimini and sprayhood are adding to our sail area but would significantly decrease our ability to go upwind. If I really had to get upwind (and heaving to wasn’t appropriate in 40kts or above I would drop the Bimini for sure. Of course, once we’re going downwind the apparent isn’t as much of an issue, but only this Monday we were screaming downwind under a scrap of jib at 9 knots with gusts of 40 knots behind us, so that was certainly a gale with average true wind of 45 knots or so. Great fun, but I would have dropped the Bimini if it had gone any higher.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 13:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
... a gale with average true wind of 45 knots or so. Great fun, but I would have dropped the Bimini if it had gone any higher.
Thanks again Tillsbury... appreciate the input!
Old 25-01-2019, 14:39   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I can’t imagin trying to drop our bimini with those winds. And the supports would major leave be in the way. I could not handle the boat with them down. But weve been in some pretty good T storms and squalls without it being an issue. NC sounds, 45+ winds, motoring, just turned into the wind and rode it out.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 19:57   #8

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38
Canvas Bimini and storms

Sorry for the silly question, but when you say “drop the Bimini”, do you mean fold it up and put the boot on, or do you mean remove the Bimini canvas entirely? Unfortunately the way my Bimini is built, there’s a lot of unscrewing of various connectors that would need to happen if I were to completely remove the canvas, I’m glad I only have to do that once a season.
Thank you!
Anton
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 06:11   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoha View Post
Sorry for the silly question, but when you say “drop the Bimini”, do you mean fold it up and put the boot on, or do you mean remove the Bimini canvas entirely? Unfortunately the way my Bimini is built, there’s a lot of unscrewing of various connectors that would need to happen if I were to completely remove the canvas, I’m glad I only have to do that once a season.
Thank you!
Anton
Good question Anton!
I would more likely remove it completely. In my case, it’s simply a bunch of zippers and 2 ties around my split backstays to remove the canvas and then fold up the frame. Not a trivial task, but no “unscewing” involved.

BTW, noticed you’re location says New York; where about?
Old 26-01-2019, 06:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I can’t imagin trying to drop our bimini with those winds. And the supports would major leave be in the way. I could not handle the boat with them down. But weve been in some pretty good T storms and squalls without it being an issue. NC sounds, 45+ winds, motoring, just turned into the wind and rode it out.
Agreed hpeer, but like reefing, I would try to do it before the weather arrived.
That’s one of the reasons I’m asking the question. My own experience right now is limited to handling high winds at anchor and I know it’s not an issue, so I make sure all is secured on deck and the canvas stays up through the storm.

Underway, is another story and I have no personal experience in anything above 20 with gusts to 25ish. Don’t want to be caught with an approaching storm and worrying about keeping the bimini up or putting it down. I like to make those decisions well before I need to act on them.
Old 26-01-2019, 08:11   #11

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

If you encounter storm conditions, you should remove ALL unnecessary windage, especially aft, bimini included. You might get away with it 9 times out of 10, but the 10th time it might kick you hard. Also important to think about is that boats that are overwhelmed more often than not are on autopilot. Laziness is a bad option when dealing with the ocean.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 08:16   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Grand Banks 46

We have a brand new Bimini made of Sunbrella Plus. We have broken three sets of zippers recently in winds of 30-35 knots. Our previous Bimini made of the same material lasted 15 years in the Caribbean. Maybe the new zippers are not as strong as they once were? Any thought?
Parrothedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 08:21   #13

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Canvas Bimini and storms

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Your Bimini and other canvas had better be sewn with Tenara gore tex thread

Why? Tenara is marginally weaker than polyester.

I’m a tenara convert, but not because of its strength.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 08:28   #14

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothedd View Post
We have a brand new Bimini made of Sunbrella Plus. We have broken three sets of zippers recently in winds of 30-35 knots. Our previous Bimini made of the same material lasted 15 years in the Caribbean. Maybe the new zippers are not as strong as they once were? Any thought?
The bimini probably does not fit properly, so the zippers are loaded in one place instead of equal load the whole length.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 08:38   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
If you encounter storm conditions, you should remove ALL unnecessary windage, especially aft, bimini included. You might get away with it 9 times out of 10, but the 10th time it might kick you hard. Also important to think about is that boats that are overwhelmed more often than not are on autopilot. Laziness is a bad option when dealing with the ocean.
Thank you MartinR!

I realize that you “should remove ALL unnecessary windage” but, for example, I wouldn’t dream of dropping my dodger. So the question becomes what is considered unnecessary and the bimini provides protection that makes staying at the helm more comfortable.

So, what I’m trying to determine, is at what point do I NEED to give up that bit of extra protection for safety.

I realize a lot depends on my boat & my abilities, but I’m trying to establish a baseline to work from based on what other folks do in similar situations.

I agree with the 2nd half of your statement and I’m always at the helm even when using the autopilot in anything but the most benign of conditions and even then, for small amounts of time - to warm up in the companionway, etc.

Thanks again,

Tags
bimini, canvas