Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2017, 07:20   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Smallest Liveaboard?

I was walking the piers, drink in hand, a couple nights ago, and was admiring a little Catalina 22 and a couple slips away, a Nonsuch 22. Both are kinda tubby little boats with enough room for a single liveaboard. Now me, I have too many ongoing projects to go smaller than my 27' boat, but if it was nothing more than a place to sleep and eat, with no tool and material storage needed, no great piles of junk, no workshop space, I could see living in something like that.

Anybody here living aboard, in a teeny weeny boat? Who lives on the smallest? Anybody living full time in a Potter 19? How about the 15? I'd like to hear about it. "Tiny houses" are all over the news these days and lots of folks are embracing that minimalist lifestyle ashore. Seems like "Tiny liveaboard boats" ought to be a thing.

I have seen folks here in Louisiana living in very small "camps" afloat, but while they can be moved, they are not really designed for traveling. I want to talk about actual boats that are designed to go places, not plywood shoeboxes on styrofoam pontoons.
Old 08-05-2017, 15:57   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Smallest Liveaboard?

Had a nice looking Woman who claimed to be living aboard I think it was a 25' Hunter in my Marina for awhile, but it didn't last long. I think she stayed in it when she couldn't find any better. Odd situation as she drove a relatively expensive car and had what looked like expensive clothes.
Then "poof" she was gone and a for sale sign on the boat.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 17:05   #3

Boat: Vancouver 27

Not sure if you're excluding yourself from that mix, but I always thought a 27' was kinda "tiny house" material!!

I think if more young people knew about the lifestyle and how to make it sustainable it would catch on and become the "thing" it deserves to be..
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:32   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

My Nephew lied on a Catalina 22 for a few years, but now he's moved up to a Sovereign 24.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:42   #5

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Big difference between the Nonsuch and Catalina. You cannot stand up on the Catalina. That would be a deal breaker for me.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:43   #6

I lived on a San Juan 23 for a few months. That was enough for me. While the lack of a "real" head, shower, and galley was an issue, the biggest pain was the lack of full standing head-room. Getting dressed every morning while squatting, lying down, or bending over gets very old, very quickly.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:56   #7

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

A friend in trade school lived in a old 22' with a swing keel from the 70's (don't remember the exact model maybe a venture). There was a women a few years ago who came to a Oday Mariner get together that lived on a Mariner for a while that's 19'.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:00   #8

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Thought of couple more. When I worked at a marina we had a couple of women that lived aboard a little 24' express cruiser, but those have a fair bit more room in them.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:02   #9

Boat: Morgan Out Island 33

When I was stationed in Hawaii in the 90's I met a young lady who was living aboard a 16' sailboat. I went on board. It was neat and clean but reminded me of camping out. She said she was living aboard for economic reasons.
She was nice looking and had a decent job.
I have has some pretty primitive living conditions but that was work related.
I wouldn't want to live on a boat that small. For me, a 25' would be as small as I would consider.
cwoflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:18   #10

I'd say this: you could totally do it on the boat I own now: a Chrysler 22, only production boat made by a car manufacturer. When the (poptop) is up, you have 6'2" headroom. Sleeps well, has table and good stowage. Designed by Halsey Herreshoff for bluewater coastal sailing. Built like a tank, way more stable than a Cal 22, with its 800 lb retractable keel: draft with keel up is about (16").... sail it right onto the beach. Probably one of the only monohulls that can do that.
You could totally do it on this boat.

Bill
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:31   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You can. but with so many really inexpensive 30ish boats out there, why would you?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:01   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papasail View Post
I'd say this: you could totally do it on the boat I own now: a Chrysler 22, only production boat made by a car manufacturer. When the (poptop) is up, you have 6'2" headroom. Sleeps well, has table and good stowage. Designed by Halsey Herreshoff for bluewater coastal sailing. Built like a tank, way more stable than a Cal 22, with its 800 lb retractable keel: draft with keel up is about (16").... sail it right onto the beach. Probably one of the only monohulls that can do that.
You could totally do it on this boat.

Bill
Thanks for reminding me of the Chrysler 22; I remember seeing a fair number of those on lakes Erie and Ontario back in the day.

If you really want to sail right onto the beach, though, I'd recommend this:

I always wanted one of those as a kid. Actually, I still do. If I had stupid money, I wouldn't buy a sports car, I'd buy an Amphibicar.
Rudderless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:28   #13

Boat: C&L Sea Ranger 36, Columbia Payne 9.6

Considering I only occasionally use the forward berth on my Vega to sleep, I see no reason why a boat with that length removed from the LOA would not suffice nearly equally as a liveaboard.

I feel like it's not the sleeping room added by the extra LOA, but other factors that generally coincide with it (such as additional beam, reasonable headroom and storage). The extra length is important for me because I enjoy hosting friends (on two occasions we've had 5 adults on multi-day trips to Catalina). If not for that, I'd be fine with less.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:40   #14

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

I have been living on my Schucker23 for nine years so far. She is practically perfect, except for the stuff that needs fixing, repair or upgrades. I love my home.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:21   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You can. but with so many really inexpensive 30ish boats out there, why would you?
I think this is the BEST answer!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard