Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2017, 19:27   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico 40
North Pacific: Alaska to Japan via Aleutians & Kamchatka

Happy New Years!
I'm back in NZ earning dollars for the coming sailing leg to Russia and Japan. The boat is happily settled into Haines, SE Alaska with a Boat Watch contract, and I will return to her early April.

The plan for this section of the circumnavigation is to push off around 15 April, explore Glacier Bay and Icy Bay, then with a suitable weather window run the three to four days across to Kodiak Is and explore there a bit. Then I will work my way along the Aleutians - climb the volcanoes on Island of Four Mountains (hopefully Cleveland is quiet), reprovision, change over crew, pick up Russian visa and papers etc at Dutch Harbour and head for Petrapavlosk- Kamchatki around late July, early August.
I hope to spend 6 weeks - 2 months on the Kamchatka Peninsula then head south along the Kurils to Kushiro, Hokkaido by end of October at latest this year.

Im looking to put a crew of four total together that can work as a sailing and climbing team, to change about from looking after the boat while the shore crew is skinning/hiking up and skiing off peaks along the way. The region offers rare good shelter and needs a competent boat crew at all times. The climbing is steep but short with winter alpine conditions the norm for the Aleutians but drier and open terrain on Kamchatka (bears included!)
Crew can join at Kodiak, or join or leave at Dutch Harbour and Petrapavlosk, and will need to be responsible for obtaining their own visas to meet the dates for Russia and/or Japan.

I’ve added more wet weather gear and survival suits to the boat inventory, and the Iridium Go! satellite system has worked very well so far for up to date weather forecasts underway.
This is going to be one helluva an adventure, good for hardened sailors and keen adventurers - come join this crazy Kiwi for a unique high latitudes experience!
Get back to me if you and/or your sailing buddies are interested.
Murtaig
Murtaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 08:56   #2

Re: North Pacific: Alaska to Japan via Aleutians & Kamchatka

Hey Brian here, I have interest to potentially join for some of your delightful looking journey. I am a mountaineer of many years and a sailor of new by comparison. I am a Captain, USCG Licensed aware and capable mechanic,cook, la la la. 541 207 2664 or rescueguy_1@hotmail.com. Be well Bri
rescueguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 14:59   #3

Re: North Pacific: Alaska to Japan via Aleutians & Kamchatka

Hello Murtaig, please consider me for your cruise. I lived in Russia for two years and speak the language fairly well. Russia can be a tricky and complicated place. About me: 37, fit, male, good under pressure, professional photographer, educated, and financially stable. In terms of sailing I have two cruises under my belt, a trans Atlantic crossing from St. John's to Scotland in 2015 and a successful transit of the Northwest passage this past summer and fall with great sailing along the east coast of Greenland and Ireland. I have less experience in climbing so perhaps I can be a boat tender or get some climbing training between now and the start of the trip in order to participate on those trips. I've got good gear including foul weather gear, Delorme Inreach tracker, and other goodies. I can certainly bring some good bear repellent of the large caliber kind if you don't already have that. Up for any adventure and this sounds like a good one. My e-mail is misha.tulek@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing back form you. Misha
Mishathekid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, Japan, north pacific