Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 19:20   #1

Funny Incident On Anchor In Grenada

Just thought I would relate a recent incident that happened to me last week here in Grenada. This fits into the category of "alls well that ends well." It was bizarre enough I thought to share it.

Last week I was anchored for a few days at St George, grenada. I was anchored fairly far from the harbor, where it is less crowded. After a few days, a small double ender showed up and anchored a hundred feet or so from me. With the prevailing wind from the east, we were both pointing towards shore and he was to my starboard. I didn't put much thought into it, other than to admire his boat, which was a nice looking pocket cruiser that seemed well maintained.

The following evening, the wind had died and all the boats were randomly circling their anchors. About 10pm as I sat in the cockpit before going to bed, I heard a boat motoring towards me. Looking over, I saw it was the double ender I had noticed earlier, I was surprised I hadn't noticed him raising anchor and just now was noticing that he was moving. I was still pointed towards shore despite the lack of wind, so he was coming from my starboard, and appeared to be planning to pass fairly close to my bow.

I had on multiple deck level lights in the cockpit as well as house and anchor lights on still, so I wasn't concerned that I could possibly be missed in the dark. As he came closer, I thought "he is coming somewhat close to me..." He looked to be on a course to pass about 30 feet from my bow, but with the low wind, my anchor line should be going downwards fairly steeply, so I figured he would be clear enough.

With all of my lights on, there wasn't much else I could do to help the situation. Plus I could see him at the tiller and he seemed to be paying attention. Just to be sure, I shouted a hello in case he wasn't paying attention already, but received no response.

As he passed in front of me, my bow started to swing to port. I suspected he had managed to run over my anchor rode afterall. But since he appeared to be full keel, I figured my rode would slip off, hopefully. I got up and began to walk to the bow in case his prop fouled, etc on my anchor rode and asked my wife to ready the engine in case he cut our line and we had to reanchor with a backup.

By now he was about 50 feet to port of our bow and turning to port to presumably loop around us. Our bow had stopped swinging, so I figured we had slipped off of his keel.

As I reached the bow and he was now about 100 feet past where we had first seemed to be swung around slightly, our bow began to turn once again fairly rapidly to port and I could see his boat seem to almost stop in its tracks.

Well shoot, he really did manage to foul our rode, but I couldn't figure out how, since by now he was well past where our anchor line should be.

As his boat slowed, it drifted to port. Still in gear and seemingly oblivious, his boat crab walked straight to his port, putting him stern to my stern and about 50 feet aft of us.

I shouted to him that he had fouled my anchor. He immediately cut power, which caused his boat to rapidly turn and move towards the stern of my boat as the anchor took over where the engine had left off.

I still couldn't figure out how he could be attached to my anchor, but I had more pressing issues to attend to, namely his 3 foot bowsprit making ready to spear my newly installed solar panel. Managing to reach past my solar panel, his bow sprit made for fantastic leverage to push his boat aside and fend off to prevent a low speed collision.

The immediate disaster averted, I asked if he was full keel, and suggested maybe he could drift off of it if we waited. He hadn't lost power, so I assumed he hadn't wrapped the line. Then I noticed a mysterious line running from the roller at the base of his bowsprit and down under my boat. Incredulous, I asked if he had an anchor down. He mumbled just coherently for me to understand that he did. I finally understood how he managed to foul my anchor.

Grabbing a boat hook, I told him to release the line to create some distance between our boats. I managed to fish out the line and pull up his anchor amd 60 feet of chain from the other side of my boat. Good thing I have no windlass, so I'm used to such abuse. As I pulled up his anchor, I couldn't help but noticed that he had a solid 120 feet out. I could hardly believe he had managed to drag that around behind him in the roughly 16 feet of water I was anchored in!

Gathering his anchor, I heaved it as far as I could away from my boat in his direction so that he could raise it without hitting us. Being a 35 pound Danforth with 60 feet of chain (I asked him...), that distance was about 10 feet, but he had no problems getting it up while remaining clear of us.

He said something about how his previous spot was "too close to shore with the wind shift" and motored off without another word. The next morning I noticed he had anchored about 3 boats away a little farther from land.

The next morning I moved over to prickly bay and have been here since then. Today I noticed he is anchored here now too. But thankfully he is anchored on the opposite end of the bay, so I get to admire his boat from afar this time.

Anyway, it all worked out in the end, with no damage done (even to his ego, judging by his reaction). I even had an unplanned evening workout hauling his anchor up from under my boat. I have to say that is the first time I've heard of somebody weighing anchor without actually weighing anchor, though...
jrau18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 19:45   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Funny Incident On Anchor In Grenada

Stupid is as stupid does.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:43   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

I've got to admire your composure.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:06   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

So you never got any sort of coherent explanation of what happened, like "I must not have secured the anchor after raising it" or "I just forgot I had it down" or "I'm drunk as a skunk, what anchor?"
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:06   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

That is one of those things that I know one day I will do, it's going to happen, just give it time.

People do stupid things, FAA spent boat loads of money studying it and only came away with an acronym, SLOJ for sudden loss of judgement, reason there are checklists.
This video clip was a test flight for turbine engine conversion, not a normal flight, there were two test pilots on board, and neither did a flight controls sweep and they took off with the controls locked
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:17   #6

Boat: Pearson 34-II

I have stated previously that we always look for an alternative anchorage away from the crowd whenever possible. When no other options exist, we always hope for the best. We have a term for these sailors you have just described:Sailing Goons. Avoid them at all costs. Good luck and safe sailing. P.S. They are found on boats large and small, clean and derelict, classic and contemporary. Great story, J!
Old 06-01-2017, 06:35   #7

Boat: wanting a cat

A64,

I know the guy that had the STC for that Caribou, turbine conversion, I flew on another one, Cape May, N.J. Amazing stol performance...One ended up in Afghanistan.

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:53   #8

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Funny story... since no real harm was done. Could have been much worse. Great job on maintaining your composure and sense of humor.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:18   #9

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I always pull up my anchor before moving, and it's a bit of work. I'm going to have to try his method.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:22   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Admirable self control Sir. I almost lost mine just by reading.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:52   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

D

R

U

N

K

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:02   #12

What an effing BONEHEAD. Sharp knife would have been handy to have with you...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:26   #13

A64 Pilot,

I read somewhere that it was the father of the deceased pilot that shot that footage.

"Controls Free & Clear, Check" I don't wait to get to the runup area to do that. First thing I do when I sit down in the plane.
sheldon957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:40   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon957 View Post
A64 Pilot,

I read somewhere that it was the father of the deceased pilot that shot that footage.

That is my understanding as well.

Only point is posting that is to try to explain we all will do something stupid, and when we do it if asked, we will not be able to explain it, cause we don't understand how and why we could do something so stupid.
Example is after driving to work the same way for ten years, one day you run the stop sign and cause a wreck, why? After several years and lots of study it appears the reason is you simply got a case of the Dumbass.
So how do you prevent it? You don't, you have two people, both empowered to make decisions and your odds of both having SLOJ at the same time are very low.

Only point is, your going to do something stupid, have a plan if possible to accept it and recover from it.
Example one day you will gun it in forward instead of reverse when you pull into the slip, so come in slower from now on and don't gun it at all. Or in this case whenever possible, never cross someone's anchor rode

Maybe the other guy wasn't stupid or drunk, maybe he was a regular guy who just screwed up?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:45   #15
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
I always pull up my anchor before moving, and it's a bit of work. I'm going to have to try his method.

Always new tricks to learn..
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, fun, funny, Grenada