Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2016, 18:15   #1

Radio Licence Questions

1.Can you buy the books and take the test in 2 different locations?
2. Is there any time or place when a radio licence is not required for a crew member to legally use the radio?
3.Is it the same test and rules all over the world?
4.Is it multiple choice?
Shawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 18:45   #2

Boat: Newport 28
Re: Radio Licence Questions

First question, is what kind of radio license are you referring to?
Old 23-12-2016, 02:22   #3

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

For usa ham license, the exam can be taken at any of the exam locations.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 02:24   #4

In an emergency an un lic. crew can use it. Otherwise, must be lic.
Old 23-12-2016, 02:27   #5

I do not believe it is the same test, and I know it is not the same lic across the world. There are reciprocal agreements and some special requirements.. others would know better.
Old 23-12-2016, 02:29   #6

Usa ham is multiple, with a healthy dose of math, physics and electronics! Worth studying and testing yourself with hamtest online.
Old 23-12-2016, 03:16   #7

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

On a U.S. flag vessel in U.S. waters, for a noncompulsory vessel, (small yacht, for instance) no license is needed for VHF use. There are other bands where an operator license is not required, as well. If you are in territorial waters of any other nation, their laws must be adhered to, and most countries require a licensed operator for non-emergency transmission. There may be countries that require you to have a station license, as well, and some countries differentiate between VHF use, and MF/HF use. Or installation. However, reciprocal recognition of a vessel's flag state license is usually honored as a matter of course. In the U.S., a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit is easy as pie to get. My understanding is that you basically don't have to do anything except mail in the application and the fee paid form to the FCC and they mail you your lifetime license. Permit, actually. The laws in the U.S. are particularly easy on the operator or boat owner. As long as you do not sail foreign. Under 300 tons. A few other exceptions. Or you can take a fairly simple test and get a MROP, Marine Radiotelephone Operator Permit. Then, there is the General Radiotelephone Operator License, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd class Radiotelegraph License, Ship Radar Endorsement, and Ship Service Endorsement, none of which you need bother with. Oh, and GMDSS Operator, and GMDSS Maintainer. Got all them. Don't need them unless I sail on a ship as Radio Officer, and there are probably about 20 jobs total left on U.S. flag ships for Radio Officers, so I really have no use for them anymore, but I keep renewing anyhow, as well as my R/O License. Go figure.

Now a HAM license, which is an Amateur radio license, is a different thing altogether. But most countries have some sort of reciprocal agreement with most other countries allowing you to operate with your license or to quickly and easily get a license for the country you are visiting. I did have an Extra class HAM license but I did let that expire. I got tired of all the junk mail and all the idiots on the bands, and then they dumbed it down so that you only need to be able to copy 5WPM, and I just quit that stuff, gave my gear away to a high school that had a HAM club.

You need to check the laws for the country your boat is registered in. Mr. Google is your friend.
Old 23-12-2016, 05:13   #8

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Last I knew the ham license was a multiple choice test (it was when I did it in 2009) where the questions are pulled from a common pool of questions. The common pool is the same anywhere but the actual selection of questions is not. An unlicensed person can operate the radio if a licensed person is with them. Also in an emergency. There are reciprocal agreements between the USA and other countries but it may be a challenge finding the office to do the official reciprocity.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 05:54   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Radio Licence Questions

'Rubber Duck' never really took off in Europe.. here we have VHF radio's on our boats with a sprinkling of SSB..
Licence's are required for both.. the VHF is really easy with a half day course and exam at the end.. the SSB I know not.. never having done it.
In theory if there is a VHF on board it must be used only by a licenced user.. except in emergencies such as Pan Pan Medico or a Mayday.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 16:44   #10

Boat: Liberty 458

Typically the vessel has a ship station licence and someone on board must have a valid licence for the frequency bands available on board.

Nearly all nations have reciprocity. Ie they recognize a suitable licence from the hailing flag nation.

In an emergency anyone can operate a radio. But in reality I've seen USCG deal with spectrum abusers professionally. I've heard idiots (drunk, stoned or clueless) stressed out because they didn't know or use good radio etiquette and it took ages for the USCG to validate their claims.

Professional use of your radio will get you a faster response in times of emergency.

All nations take use of wireless spectrum seriously. It only takes one stray rf emitter to make comms unworkable.

Study and get your licence wherever you are. Follow good radio etiquette and everyone wins.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, radio