Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2016, 17:59   #1

San Diego to Christmas Is. ??

I lived in Fiji for many years and would like to return in my own boat. It seems that the fastest way would be to Christmas Island and on to Fiji. Has anyone ever went that way? Weather, best time to leave ect. Can this be done? Thank You all!!!
fromfiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 18:29   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: San Diego to Christmas Is. ??

pack a big lunch, it's a loooong way

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 19:23   #3

Unless you really like long passages your better off doing the milk run to Fiji. You don't mention where you are leaving from but if it's the west coast of Mexico or Southern California then March/April is a good time to leave.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 20:00   #4

Thank you for your replies. What is the milk run?? I am aware that it is a long run. What weather could I expect on that run? Please excuse my ignorance as I am new to this. A long time ago I did make a single handed run Tarawa to Fiji.
Old 16-11-2016, 20:10   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromfiji View Post
Thank you for your replies. What is the milk run?? I am aware that it is a long run. What weather could I expect on that run? Please excuse my ignorance as I am new to this. A long time ago I did make a single handed run Tarawa to Fiji.
Where do you want to leave from?
Old 16-11-2016, 20:13   #6

San Diego !!!
Old 16-11-2016, 20:22   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Here's something of a resource to get you started. Pacific Puddle Jump Official Web Site It's from the folks at Latitude 38 (magazine) www.Latitude38.com

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 20:39   #8

Ok SD to the Marquesas leave in March or April, on to the Society Islands, then to the Cooks and then Fiji or go to Tonga first. That's the general direction and there are lots of little side streets to take if you want to get off the milk run. Weather and sailing is generally good.
Old 17-11-2016, 08:14   #9

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

I have made the trip from the west coast to Fiji twice via Hawaii and the Line Islands (Kiribati.)

My personal take; Hawaii, specifically Hilo, would be a much better, first landfall for provisioning than Christmas Is. especially if you require repairs which seems inevitable. As well, crossing the ITCZ is best done at close to right angles to the equator rather than the rhumb line you propose.

If you are set on experiencing an atoll or two along the way, I would recommend Fanning atol and then Canton on your way to Fiji both epic landfalls and more along the direct path you propose.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 09:03   #10

Boat: KP 46

I have made that run in a small sailboat, not from San Diego, but from the Galapagos, nice spinnaker reach down to Easter, spent a week there, then went to Pitcairn, southern FP, Cook Islands, Nui, Tonga and Fiji.

It was a great trip and well worth the time to go south rather than the “Milk Run,” (which I have done a couple of times). I went through Panama in February, and arrived in Fiji around June, but I took my time.

WX was pretty good most of the way. Had a BIG sea from the south a few days out of Easter but the swells were so far apart you did not notice it. Had a day of headwinds just south of Pitcairn but after that mostly trades. A great sail.

Where in Fiji were you? Did you ever see a 200 ft Research Vessel with sails named Betsy Ross anchored in Suva Harbor? We had her there for over a year a couple of years ago.

Have fun!
Michael
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 09:22   #11

Thank you all very much for your replies. I lived in Fiji for over 20 years - left in 2002. Lot of time in Suva but lots of time on Taveuni where a very good friend had a plantation. Thanks
Old 17-11-2016, 12:19   #12

I have made the trip from the west coast to Fiji twice via Hawaii and the Line Islands (Kiribati.)

My personal take; Hawaii, specifically Hilo, would be a much better, first landfall for provisioning than Christmas Is. especially if you require repairs which seems inevitable. As well, crossing the ITCZ is best done at close to right angles to the equator rather than the rhumb line you propose.

If you are set on experiencing an atoll or two along the way, I would recommend Fanning atol and then Canton on your way to Fiji both epic landfalls and more along the direct path you propose.

I'm with Senior Cruiser. We did exactly this route a couple of years ago. Left SFO July4.
Glennwaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 12:42   #13

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Went from Ventura to Vanuatu a couple of years back but had to stop in Honolulu for some parts. Left August 1st. No problems with the weather and it took 47 days in Unicorn which was Bruce Kings boat and was 41ft. No motoring and not pushing it. Just had to watch for hurricanes to the south the first few weeks and be prepared to head north into cooler water. This boat was a great loss for America and now sits happily on a mooring in Sydney. A great piece of history. Sold it to my ex wife.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 12:43   #14

It depends on if you just want to get there and you don't care about visiting some of the really great parts of the South Pacific, seems a long way to go to pass up the opportunity but each to their own. July is hurricane season in the North Pacific. Crossing the equator puts you into safe waters for 6 months if you head towards the Marquesas but Hawaii is a good option if your just wanting to get there. Years ago we left Hawaii in July heading back to Canada and our last stop was Hanalei Bay, about 8 days out we got reports that a hurricane was bearing down on them. Hit them right on with the eye crossing over the island, pretty much smashed everything, hell of a mess. By that time we were well north and in cooler waters so not a worry about it from our perspective. The closer you are to the equator the less the odds for hurricane activity.
Old 17-11-2016, 13:31   #15

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Christmas is a long way from anywhere. If you must see it, sail to Hawaii, fly to Xmas and back, and continue by boat. I suppose you could do Xmas- Penryn and continue w/o missing "the Pacific".
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
christmas, san diego