Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2016, 15:31   #1

Boat: cape dory 25' 1977
on line sails makers

i have quotes from peak sails and fx sails and they are 40 to 50 % lower than the big names in my area,newport ri.Anyone have any input on why i should not go with the online guys ???
rbenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 16:14   #2

Boat: Sceptre 36
Re: on line sails makers

I have the same problem
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 17:34   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

this subject has been extensively discussed here on CF. Rather than reiterate all that verbiage, why don't you use the google search function at the top of the page and read the accumulated wisdom?

Jim
Old 03-11-2016, 03:15   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, rbenn.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:42   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

Peak has had it's up and downs, not familiar with FX.

You get some pretty great customer service from the big lofts, particularly if they have service facilities in your area, which they obviously have in Newport. Ideally they'll come on your boat, check the fit and finish of your new sails and if any problems are identified, fix it right there locally.

Local opinion here in Annapolis is that the big lofts have very consistent quality and will fix problems without issue. As you go down the line, you run into potential quality and service issues, which makes sense given what it takes to run a good loft.

I would not necessarily call them an "online" sailmaker, but I've heard consistently good things about Mack Sails. Sailed on a long passage with them, a brand new set on a friend's boat, and they appeared well made.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:45   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Here's some of what you're after http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-168330.html & here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-173432.html

Keep in mind too that quality sails often last twice as long as average ones, & superior sails are even longer lived. With some of them going 3x the distance. So cloth quality, proper stitching, & attention to detail really do matter. And often it's possible to tell what a loft's average level of quality is simply by looking at what features & options they offer on various sail types. With the better lofts incorporating many more of them as standard features vs. a more run of the mill outfit's svelte accessories & detailing.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:25   #7

I have personal experience with FX sails. Unfortunately, it is NOT a good story.

We ordered a new headsail for our Catalina 27. Good price. It was shipping on time and we (thought) we were happy. Once we got it on the boat, we realized it wasn't quite right. It "worked" but didn't appear to fit properly. The angle to the clew seemed off. It stopped about 3 feet short of top of the mast. etc.

I contacted FX over and over and over and over. I simply wanted to have someone verify that this was correctly sized, or if not . . . fix it. I sent and faxed 4 letters. I called 5 times. I sent (est) 10+ emails.

Never once did I get one single reply/response. Never once did any human answer the phone.

The sail appears well made and, other than the fact that it isn't the right size/shape, it's a great sail (sarcasm intended).

Bottom line . . . I certainly wouldn't order from them again.

markb
bratzcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:34   #8

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

I have been using Hong Kong sail makers for year's, for myself and my customer's, they use the best Dacron, UV thread, stainless steel fitting's, ect.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:39   #9

Boat: Island Packet 32

I had the same experience as Bratzpa. Never again.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:40   #10

Boat: 1973 Gulfstar 43 trawler, 1979 Endeavour 37 A plan

Oh my, where to start with Peak Sails! We went with them last year when we bought our sailboat on recommendations from a friend who got good sails but bad customer service. I thought, oh well, cheap and good, 2 out of three ain't bad. I was wrong
No contact could be made after the initial order, tried and tried and tried. Was promised 8 weeks no problem. 4 months later got the Genoa. 1 month later got mainsail but it was the wrong size! Sent back and was told I would be reimbursed for shipping, HAH!! After threat of lawsuit finally got right sized mainsail 8 months after initial order Still couldn't get ahold of Chris Stevens the entire time. Was successful in reaching the head of the loft where Peak Sails are made in China. She finally got our order done.
Long story short, please don't do Peak Sails. Just google problems with Peak Sails and read for days.
John
Boatingmadeez.com
GoneIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:42   #11

I've had the same problem as Bratzcpa with FX Sails. I tried for over a year to get a response from them. Finally, I gave up. I don't know where you're located but, if possible, I would try a local loft.
Hank LeSieur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:42   #12

I got two of those hulking Durkopp Adler sewing machines and I know how to use them. I've also heard of Pythagoras' notorious experiments in geometry

Is there any reason I shouldn't be able to make my own sails?

It could hardly be more difficult than precisely fitting swaths of cloth to human bodies.
And if I screw up, I don't have to call or fax myself multiple times nor threaten myself with a lawsuit to fix it

And I get to determine what material I can / want to afford.

just checking...
n13L5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:00   #13

The market may have changed, but in general most "sailmakers" are really advisers that provide specifications to OEM based in southern China, Thailand or Vietnam and collect the difference between OEM and customer price. IOW you're paying for service and nothing else.

If they don't have good service, take your business elsewhere.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:02   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by n13L5 View Post
I got two of those hulking Durkopp Adler sewing machines and I know how to use them. I've also heard of Pythagoras' notorious experiments in geometry

Is there any reason I shouldn't be able to make my own sails?

It could hardly be more difficult than precisely fitting swaths of cloth to human bodies.
And if I screw up, I don't have to call or fax myself multiple times nor threaten myself with a lawsuit to fix it

And I get to determine what material I can / want to afford.

just checking...
I'm sure you would not be the first person in the world to do that especially since you probably already have a pattern available.

Byrdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:26   #15

Boat: Tradewind 33

I have had good experience with Precision Sails - they are based out of Vancouver - very straight forward and helpful staff; they are honest, they will tell you whether the loft is Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Vietnam. I purchased a custom Asym last season (barely used) and this season a laminated headsail that I absolutely love. You send your measurements, they review with you and talk about clue height, etc.. This is how it should be,

Also had experience with FX sails in the past - not so good - headsail was not delivered on time, not sized properly, excellent build quality however and came with Neil Pride logo and sail bag so I'm guessing they just brokered an overstock item that was "close enough". Calls were not returned, lost the boat to Superstorm Sandy so case closed anyway.
1boat2many is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails