Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2016, 16:06   #1

Boat: 2006 Lagoon 440
Haul Out Pacific side of Panama Canal

We plan to take our Lagoon 440 south through the Panama Canal in probably October or November and I need to slip the boat to get the anti-fouling taken right back, a new barrier coat applied, and then new anti-fouling. I'm hoping to get some feedback on where slipping is possible on the Pacific side of the Canal, in either Panama or maybe Costa Rica. Obviously first hand experience information would be preferred, or maybe links to facilities that might offer appropriate haul-out and repair services would be most appreciated. Coldar1
coldar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 16:48   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Haul Out Pacific side of Panama Canal

There is a fancy boat yard out on the causeway in Panama City. It looks very expensive. I don't remember ever seeing a cat on the railway at the Balboa Yacht club either. Further north, you can haul out in El Salvador.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 18:39   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

There's a lot of info the Panama City Cruisers Guide. Search Google for a current copy PDF.

Why not haul in Shelter Bay on the Atlantic side? Much more cruiser friendly than Flamencp in PC.
Old 13-07-2016, 19:19   #4

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

You can use vaca monte just north of balboa but it's a rough and tough place. Best to use shelter bay on the other side.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 19:39   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Agree that Shelter Bay is probably your best bet.

The new Linton Bay marina can also lift cats, but SB has more yard services and contractors in place at this time.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 08:39   #6

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

I agree with the others that Shelter Bay is your best option. Plenty of room, nice facilities, pool and restaurant to relax after a hard day working.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 09:33   #7

I hauled out at the yacht club on Atlantic side and did same work as you plan. The ways were immaculate, metal and washed every time after immersion. The best haul out facilities I've seen. However that was in 1992, so things may have changed.
dick sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 11:14   #8

The big problem with Shelter Bay is that it's a VERY EXPENSIVE taxi fare, in a land of cheap taxis) to get anywhere and the closes anywhere is Colon which is probably the most dangerous city in the country.

There is a relatively new boat yard in Almirante near Bocas del Toro. There's lots to do in Bocas and it's only a short, reasonably priced water taxi ride away from Almirante. You can also pick up a bus in Almirante to take you to David, the country's second largest city. I don't know what the regular fare is, but a year ago with my Jubilado (old fart) discount it only cost me $4 and change.
Old 14-07-2016, 11:36   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt_1942 View Post
The big problem with Shelter Bay is that it's a VERY EXPENSIVE taxi fare, in a land of cheap taxis) to get anywhere and the closes anywhere is Colon which is probably the most dangerous city in the country.

There is a relatively new boat yard in Almirante near Bocas del Toro. There's lots to do in Bocas and it's only a short, reasonably priced water taxi ride away from Almirante. You can also pick up a bus in Almirante to take you to David, the country's second largest city. I don't know what the regular fare is, but a year ago with my Jubilado (old fart) discount it only cost me $4 and change.
Last times I was I Shelter Bay there was a free bus twice day into the shopping center.
Old 14-07-2016, 11:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt_1942 View Post

Almirante cant haul cats.
Old 14-07-2016, 11:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Last times I was I Shelter Bay there was a free bus twice day into the shopping center.
Shuttle to Panama City once a week too.
Old 14-07-2016, 13:18   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestsailor View Post
. Plenty of room, nice facilities, pool and restaurant to relax after a hard day working.
And if you like to walk, that's the place. No cars, no people just bugs and silence.
Old 14-07-2016, 16:41   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
And if you like to walk, that's the place. No cars, no people just bugs and silence.
Yes, it is a great place to hike, with lots of wild life and interesting ruins on the old Fort Sherman and Fort Lorenzo grounds. You can also wade and fish the flats behind the reef along the coast
Old 14-07-2016, 16:48   #14

I live in Panama City and run a yacht refit and rigging business here.
On the Pacific side your options are:
Flamenco Island. The marina at the end of the Amador Causeway is called Fuerte Amador Resort and Marina but more commonly referred to as Flamenco Marina. It has a 100 tonne travellift with 29' beam and a hardstand operated by Quality boats who can perform your bottom job. Costs are similar to Shelter Bay on the Atlantic side.
Vacamonte. This is a little distant and to the West of Panama City and is a commercial fishing port but their hydrolift can handle your beam easily. As commented above, it is a bit scummy and is not really geared to pleasure craft. There is no real economy to using it either as it is distant from suppliers.
The Balboa Yacht Club can host you but their haulout cannot manage your beam.
Unfortunately Astillero Vera Cruz is not available to us at this time.
Hope that helps
Mike B.
tiopirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 17:39   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yes, it is a great place to hike, with lots of wild life and interesting ruins on the old Fort Sherman and Fort Lorenzo grounds. You can also wade and fish the flats behind the reef along the coast
That little rock off Fort Lorenzo is where Captain Morgan sank his ship. The day we went in the sea was breaking over it.

Tags
haul out, Panama, Panama Canal