Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2019, 05:50   #1

Power catamaran in following seas

I'm coming from semi-displacement and full displacement monohulls (lobster boats and trawlers) in the 30 to 40 foot range. Now I'm going to be operating a 42' semi displacement catamaran and I'm curious about handling techniques with steep, choppy following seas or large, possibly breaking waves (such as those found on east coast inlets).

In a lobster boat - I typically try to stay on the back side of a wave as long as I can. If the waves are out running me, I stay on the throttle and drop speed as I find myself in a trough and the following wave starts to lift my stern. Then, as the crest passes under me and I find myself on the back side, I give it power to stay there as long as I can without running over the top of the crest. Repeat process as necessary.

Depending on the particular boat and the waves at the time, it's pretty easy to tell when running completely with the waves or falling off just slightly so let them hit a stern quarter is an improvement.

For those with multi-hull experience, do you use the same techniques or do you have other tricks? My concern is mostly the entrances to some of the east coast bays and rivers that can be treacherous at the best of times and require waiting out weather at other times.

Thanks for your thoughts and experience.
Pelican_38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran