Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2019, 06:19   #1

The US Coast Guard may cease broadcasting of NAVTEX (Navigational Telex)

Hi sailors,

on noonsite.com i found this.

https://www.noonsite.com/news/usa-us...minate-navtex/

- The US Coast Guard may cease broadcasting of NAVTEX (Navigational Telex) but only after it is available on IMO recognized satellite services.

- Before terminating the broadcast, the USCG will consider comments from the public.

Comments on the proposal to make the NAVTEX information available over satellite are welcomed, plus how you would be affected if they did provide the NAVTEX information via satellite, particularly if you use MF NAVTEX and do not currently have a GMDSS satellite terminal onboard your vessel.

They would also like comments on types of Maritime Safety Information products that might be added in the future if they did provide the NAVTEX information via satellite.

Comments must be submitted to the online docket USCG-2019- 0702 via http://www.regulations.gov, on or before 12 November 2019.

After considering any comments received, the USCG will issue a notice in the Federal Register indicating how the matter will be resolved."

Let me know what you think about it.
Cheers

Luca
Pint76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 06:37   #2

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58
Re: The US Coast Guard may cease broadcasting of NAVTEX (Navigational Telex)

people still use telex?
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 06:44   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenhawaiian View Post
people still use telex?
Hello frozenhawaiian,
I'm agree with you.
I wrote the post just to know this.
Maybe some fishing boat?
Old 23-09-2019, 07:20   #4

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pint76 View Post
Hello frozenhawaiian,
I'm agree with you.
I wrote the post just to know this.
Maybe some fishing boat?
maybe so? I think I last saw a telex on a boat in the early 2000's
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 07:26   #5

Reminds me of when they officially stopped broadcasting Loran. Many folks had a similar reply "People are still using Loran?" Back when they stopped broadcasting in 2010, the number of posts of surprised mariners "caught unaware" was astounding.

Both because they were still using it, and because they were surprised when it was shutoff.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 07:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Reminds me of when they officially stopped broadcasting Loran. Many folks had a similar reply "People are still using Loran?" Back when they stopped broadcasting in 2010, the number of posts of surprised mariners "caught unaware" was astounding.

Both because they were still using it, and because they were surprised when it was shutoff.
Hi Shrew,

I guess that's why they will consider comments from the public.
Old 23-09-2019, 07:43   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pint76 View Post
Hi Shrew,

I guess that's why they will consider comments from the public.
They had an RFC for the end of Loran as well. There was simply a small sub-set of users who weren't paying attention to the RFC, the discussion, or the announcement of the conclusion (Loran ended in Feb of 2010).

Then in May 2010 there were handfuls of posts out there "Loran suddenly stopped working".
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 07:50   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Rumor has it that the iPhone 12 will have it's own radar, AIS, depth sounder, and autopilot apps, so we can get totally lost when it goes "bloop" in the eocean.
Old 23-09-2019, 08:58   #9

Boat: Camano 41

Last time I saw a Navtex, was on the rear bulkhead of the ship in The Perfect Storm, but they never read the printout, so guess what?
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 10:28   #10

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

Here is the complete address for comments,

https://www.regulations.gov/searchRe...p=true&ns=true

Many of us still use MF radio to get NavTex as we are not equipped with Satellite services.

PLease ask for continuation of the MF radio service.

Many thanks,

Wayne
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 10:54   #11

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Budget reduction through ceasing the broadcast of TELEX Wx reports probably makes sense, as I suspect anyone desiring them has alternate reception methods in place. [e.g., email via satellite or HF radio.]

I do still subscribe [via email] to the TELEX reports for my area [MetArea XII] as a back-up in case my other sources were unavailable for some reason.

But then again— in the day— I also depended upon the high seas Wx snippits included with WWV, VH, [etc.] shortwave time broadcasts [which I also relied upon for more 'accurate' position plotting...]

In case anyone is interested in auto-receiving [Int'l] NAVTEX forecasts, I use the handy subscription service [among other free services] offered by FollowingSeas.Net [formerly CruiserSat.net]

Cheers! Bill
Old 23-09-2019, 10:57   #12

Boat: X442

Great, that's another piece of kit coming out of the boat. I quite liked it a while ago when using it for weather info (out of range of land w/out a satellite connection) but all the other stuff re a buoy being somewhat out of place somewhere far away became not much more than noise.

The only thing still cool about it is the round disk antenna in the top of the mast, looks a bit techy at least. The device itself is off.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 14:51   #13

Wonderful. And once that shiny GMDSS constellation goes nuts on a stronger than average solar flare, we're back to cpt. Cook's navigation and weather forecasting methods. I know, they "expect x millions(???) of taxpayer's greenback savings" - interestingly those "savings" never return to the taxpayer.

In short: please support to retain at least some redundancy in the system...
Old 23-09-2019, 15:12   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
Wonderful. And once that shiny GMDSS constellation goes nuts on a stronger than average solar flare, we're back to cpt. Cook's navigation and weather forecasting methods. I know, they "expect x millions(???) of taxpayer's greenback savings" - interestingly those "savings" never return to the taxpayer.

In short: please support to retain at least some redundancy in the system...
For it to provide redundancy there would have to be an appreciable base of people who both have the capability to receive and us it AND aren't capable of "limping" back to some port if somehow everything went dark. Since the vast majority of cruisers don't even have the capability to receive it, they're not able to use it for redundancy. Leaving professional mariners, who aren't going to all simply sink under the surface of the sea if GMDSS and GPS go down simultaneously. In fact its a pretty good bet that the people who have this installed, cruisers or professional mariners, are the best equipped to deal with not having it! But we'll see, that's why we hold public comment periods. Maybe there's a huge user base out there that no-one knows about, in which case it's worth leaving on.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 15:16   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
For it to provide redundancy there would have to be an appreciable base of people who both have the capability to receive and us it AND aren't capable of "limping" back to some port if somehow everything went dark. Since the vast majority of cruisers don't even have the capability to receive it, they're not able to use it for redundancy. Leaving professional mariners, who aren't going to all simply sink under the surface of the sea if GMDSS and GPS go down simultaneously. In fact its a pretty good bet that the people who have this installed, cruisers or professional mariners, are the best equipped to deal with not having it! But we'll see, that's why we hold public comment periods. Maybe there's a huge user base out there that no-one knows about, in which case it's worth leaving on.
I don't know but this side of the pond (UK) most boats I've seen have Navtex.

Tags
navigation