Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2017, 14:52   #1

Boat: Custom 55
Early season cruise notes, England

Hi All,

We've spent the past few weeks buzzing around SW England with a hop to Guernsey for good measure thrown in, and I thought I'd share a few notes.

We left our winter berth in Lymington the third week on March, making our first stop in Cowes, just a short shakedown hop. Additionally, the esteemed Dockhead was there, so we figured we should pay him a visit before our paths diverged, him to the NE, and us to Scotland.

A break in the relentless strong westerlies that had been occurring allowed us to make a quick hop to Portland, followed by an overnighter to Plymouth, where we waited in this very pleasant city for a couple of gales to pass by.

Falmouth was our Western limit for our little spring cruise, where we spent a few days, and finally sailed from there to Guernsey to get some time outside the EU and take advantage of the opportunity to top up on some very reasonable fuel-a rarity in these parts! Even Guernsey was largely devoid of visiting boats.

Anyway, the reason for the post is to report that 'off season' cruising is absolutely delightful around here!

The weather has been generally pretty reasonable, with just the odd gale passing by, but damn cold at times.

Basically all of the visitor's berths have been wide open, prices are lower than in the high season, and most of the sailors who are making their way around at this time of year are cut from some pretty hardy cloth. We've had some great interactions with the other folks on the dock. I think that in the summer, there's a bit of a crush of boats around, and folks are generally less outgoing once the crowds get cruising.

All in all, I would say that the crowd who waits until the height of summer to start sailing around these parts are missing a heck of a lot of very good sailing.

We hope to see some of you on the water this summer.
Old 16-04-2017, 15:14   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Early season cruise notes, England

I agree 100%.. some of my best sails in the year were between January and April.. overnight runs across to Cherbourg or the Channel Isles.. was based out off Poole so had the Solent and the I.o.W to the East and local coves/bays from there to Weymouth or all the way to Falmouth if I felt like it.. wind proof trousers and my flying jacket snuggled down in the cockpit downside while the tillerpilot did the work and star gazing between horizon checks.. so many more up there..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 15:28   #3

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL
Re: Early season cruise notes, England

Sounds bloody cold to me give me the GBR any time I don't even remember where my cold clothes are Hahahah Cheers
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 15:40   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
Sounds bloody cold to me give me the GBR any time I don't even remember where my cold clothes are Hahahah Cheers
Well, I'd be lying if I said that we haven't had a few 'why the hell aren't we in the tropics' moments over the last couple of years that we've been spending more time in the chilly north...

But, we spent an awful lot of time going troppo too, so some variety was called for!
Old 17-04-2017, 09:02   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
Well, I'd be lying if I said that we haven't had a few 'why the hell aren't we in the tropics' moments over the last couple of years that we've been spending more time in the chilly north...

But, we spent an awful lot of time going troppo too, so some variety was called for!
A refreshing approach. Even here in the (comparatively) warmer part of Canada, we sail in May and October for the wind, not the warmth, and often get our pick of mooring or dock thanks to the absence of the fair-weather sailors.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 12:02   #6

Nice to see posts like this. I'm based in Cardiff, Wales and hoping to be an all year sea goer to those places mentioned. Once I get my liveaboard and learn to sail properly. Been looking at B Oceanis 411s. Exciting times. Thanks for sharing [emoji1303]
johnyhask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 12:44   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

An un-seasonally warm week before Easter has meant the masses have suddenly descended on the Solent. 5 rallies filled Bembridge. Lymington and Yarmouth had the boards up saying "Full".

Thankfully most folk were heading home this afternoon as we cruised out of Portsmouth for a week away. By tea time we seemed to have the Solent to ourselves so picked up a prime mooring in Bucklers Hard to soak up 300 years of history including were 3 of ships that fought at Trafalgar were built. Tomorrow we anchor in the shadow of one of Henry V111 castles.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 14:01   #8

Yes, the history around here, particularly the maritime history, is just fantastic. Just the other day we happened upon a plaque commemorating the spot where Francis Drake began his voyage from. How cool is that??

For those of us with a keen interest in things nautical, it really is the promised land.

Falmouth museum has an exhibition on Bligh at the moment as well. Think what you want of the man, but his small boat voyage to get him and his loyalists home intact is nothing short of astounding.

TJ

Tags
cruise, England