Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2016, 00:58   #1

Boat: Dufour 405 2010
Sailing to New Zealand from Plymouth England summer 2017

The wife has given me leave to go sail so i have sold my New Zealand Lidgard 42 and bought a boat in Plymouth England, a Dufour 405. The intention is to sail out of England July 2017 heading south to Portuga then Canary Islands then cross the Atlantic to Caribbean November leaving the boat there December to fly home to the wife for Xmas back to continue to NZ 2018. I will need crew and advice so tell me your thoughts. Constructive criticism is good.
Hokiangadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:15   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: Sailing to New Zealand from Plymouth England summer 2017

Slow down...spend a year in the Caribbean and 6 months in French Polynesia and then go to NZ.

Phil who spent 6 years in the Caribbean and not enough time in French Polynesia!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:17   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Hokiangadad.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:26   #4

Location: Boat in Preveza Greece, awaiting our next trip, we are based Sunshine Coast Australia
Boat: Jeanneau SunFast 43
Send a message via Skype™ to OzDean

Hello Hokiangadad, Nice work on the Dufour 405 great boat, I have a similar dilemma. I have a Jeanneau Sunfast 43 in Antalya Turkey. We are based in QLD and have been sailing off and on over in the Med since 2011 making our way from Slovenia to Turkey. The plan was to gradually sail the boat back with plenty of stops on the way taking 3-4 years, but we have grown tired of the travel back and forth and keeping the boat maintained over there is a hassle. Most of all through, the luxury of being able to take large chunks of time off work is decreasing. So the question is do I spend the next couple of available time slots off work sailing around the amazing places overseas or do I spend that time actually just sailing the boat back to Oz. I Have decided to get it back here and then will be able to use it more, like on weekends. Have considered shipping it Med to Oz. So my plan in 2017 is to sail across the Med next summer then in a similar situation to you across the Atlantic Dec17. Then for Feb-Jun18, I have looked into leaving the yacht at a place called Bocas del Toro north of panama canall, then long leg over to QLD Jun-Oct before the cyclone season sets in. I looked into where to leave the boat in the Carribean but end up with Bocas del Toro.
OzDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
Slow down...spend a year in the Caribbean and 6 months in French Polynesia and then go to NZ.

Phil who spent 6 years in the Caribbean and not enough time in French Polynesia!
Ehhh.. I don't see why you suggest only six months in French Polynesia..!! You have to give it more.
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:54   #6

My Son and his wife have just sailed from UK to NZ - see blog at:
Lufi of Guernsey and also on facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/Lufiofguernsey/
Fair winds
peedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:25   #7

Boat: Young 42

Hi Kiwi,
I set sail from Auckland on my Young 42, SV Jipcho in 2003, and plan to sail her back to NZ in 2017. I'm curious how much you sold your Lidgard for, as I also plan to sell my kauri boat in NZ. Good market for the old girls?

Sent from my D2306 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
jipcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:39   #8

Thanks for your thoughts and yes the Caribbean would be lovely to sail around or French Polynesia also. Coming back to NZ over 18 months is what i need to do as i have a stuff i want to do here. Wife has a good job and will be happy (almost) with me away over two winters then i can sail NZ waters and go back to teaching kids to sail here in the Hokianga. So any ideas on finding crew or good weather reporting in the northern hemisphere?
Old 02-12-2016, 10:45   #9

I had a broker call me and offer a good price. I said i wanted 250k in the hand and ended up with 239k after his commission and a bit of work found during a survey. My boat was in excellent condition ready to go off for a trip next year just the more i thought about where i wanted to go i came back to sailing out of England so sold her, bought a boat i could sail around NZ coastline and would get back to NZ, i hope!
The NZ wood boats will find their price again but i had also had enough of the constant work to keep it looking good. I see many wooden boats selling incredible cheap as they are not valued by young people who want cabins and heads not varnish and cramped cabins. I loved my Lidgard like another woman but there comes a time when enough is enough!
Old 02-12-2016, 10:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzDean View Post
Hello Hokiangadad, Nice work on the Dufour 405 great boat, I have a similar dilemma. I have a Jeanneau Sunfast 43 in Antalya Turkey. We are based in QLD and have been sailing off and on over in the Med since 2011 making our way from Slovenia to Turkey. The plan was to gradually sail the boat back with plenty of stops on the way taking 3-4 years, but we have grown tired of the travel back and forth and keeping the boat maintained over there is a hassle. Most of all through, the luxury of being able to take large chunks of time off work is decreasing. So the question is do I spend the next couple of available time slots off work sailing around the amazing places overseas or do I spend that time actually just sailing the boat back to Oz. I Have decided to get it back here and then will be able to use it more, like on weekends. Have considered shipping it Med to Oz. So my plan in 2017 is to sail across the Med next summer then in a similar situation to you across the Atlantic Dec17. Then for Feb-Jun18, I have looked into leaving the yacht at a place called Bocas del Toro north of panama canall, then long leg over to QLD Jun-Oct before the cyclone season sets in. I looked into where to leave the boat in the Carribean but end up with Bocas del Toro.
That looks like a good plan. May see you on the way. Why Bocas del Toro??
Old 02-12-2016, 10:51   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipcho View Post
Hi Kiwi,
I set sail from Auckland on my Young 42, SV Jipcho in 2003, and plan to sail her back to NZ in 2017. I'm curious how much you sold your Lidgard for, as I also plan to sell my kauri boat in NZ. Good market for the old girls?

I had a broker call me and offer a good price. I said i wanted 250k in the hand and ended up with 239k after his commission and a bit of work found during a survey. My boat was in excellent condition ready to go off for a trip next year just the more i thought about where i wanted to go i came back to sailing out of England so sold her, bought a boat i could sail around NZ coastline and would get back to NZ, i hope!
The NZ wood boats will find their price again but i had also had enough of the constant work to keep it looking good. I see many wooden boats selling incredible cheap as they are not valued by young people who want cabins and heads not varnish and cramped cabins. I loved my Lidgard like another woman but there comes a time when enough is enough!
Old 02-12-2016, 11:16   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Hokiangadad.
Thanks GordMay, once i find my way around this site should be helpful.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:36   #13

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Kiwis are the most intrepid blue waters cruisers nowadays.

The spirit of Sir F.Chichester be with you

PS your Dufour is not ready for ocean crossing. Take your time to know her better and improve rigging, deck gear and sails..
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:48   #14

Thanks for your confidence in Kiwi sailors. Yes the Dufour is not ready now but work is being done to make her ready over the winter months. I will sail north up the east coast f the UK to Caledonia Canal then back down the Irish Sea to test her and myself before heading south. Should be an interesting trip.I have crew for that part just non for after that.
My Lidgard and i sailed much of the Pacific plus many miles circumnavigating NZ over a number of years so we should be fine, Dufour and I
Old 02-12-2016, 13:06   #15

Boat: Custom sailing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipcho View Post
Hi Kiwi,

At the moment in New Zealand nice old wooden boats are getting ridiculously low prices.
Don't know if they will ever recover as the few with money are buying production fibreglass from Eastern Europe.

Their has been some rather good cruising boats for sale here, Whangarei, which have been in the market for some time.

It would be much cheaper to sell a boat in Europe and buy one here.
KJThomas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
England, New Zealand, sail, sailing