Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 23:41   #1

Boat: Admiral 38 Catamaran - afLOAT
Navionics iPad User Manual

I've followed several long threads but have been unable to find an answer to my query. I recently purchased Navionics mobile for my iPad2 as a backup to my Raymarine chartplotter and want to find a users guide or manual for the Navionics app.
Please advise if anyone can suggest a source for me.
Thank you,
teej
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 00:41   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Navionics iPad User manual

Its next on my list to write a user guide for the Navionics Ipad App They do have a reasonable FAQ section on their web site.

I am amazed that well known navigation software companies launch apps with a little or no user documentation. Most software is not intuitive and I think many users abandon some software out of frustration.

Plan2Nav has no documention at all. No user Guide no online help no FAQ's

If you have questions about using Navionics ask away and i will attempt to answer.

If you are happy to give feedback i can send you drafts as they are written

regards

Richard Fairman
r.fairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:14   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Go to the "Settings" section in the app and then selecting “Help,” you will find a brief guide, but I don't know if it covers what you're looking for. Good luck!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:24   #4

Boat: Bayfield 40

Is this what you are looking for?

Contents

-Bill
Bill Shuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 16:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.fairman View Post
Its next on my list to write a user guide for the Navionics Ipad App They do have a reasonable FAQ section on their web site.

I am amazed that well known navigation software companies launch apps with a little or no user documentation. Most software is not intuitive and I think many users abandon some software out of frustration.

Plan2Nav has no documention at all. No user Guide no online help no FAQ's

If you have questions about using Navionics ask away and i will attempt to answer.

If you are happy to give feedback i can send you drafts as they are written

regards

Richard Fairman
Richard, it is indeed disappointing that a $50 iPad app does not have a user guide. Stumbling through such an app to try and get the full benefits of the software is discouraging at best. It is encouraging that you are contemplating writing such a user guide. As I imagine Navionics is a popularly subscribed app, I think there will be many users who will similarly look forward to a users guide. Thank you in advance!
teej
Old 07-12-2011, 16:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shuman View Post
Is this what you are looking for?

Contents

-Bill
Bill, thanks for this. I hadn't discovered it when I opened the Navionics iPAd app (it was not intuitive to me). In the absence of a full User Guide, this is at least something that gives me a general overview of the software - so, again, thank you. I'm sure that most (if not all) of the purchasers of this Navionics app would agree that a User Guide would make this a much more valuable navigational tool.
Old 07-12-2011, 16:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterway Guide View Post
Go to the "Settings" section in the app and then selecting “Help,” you will find a brief guide, but I don't know if it covers what you're looking for. Good luck!
Mike, I inadertantly sent this reply to Bill who had responded with info on iNavX, rather than on Navionics which is the app that was the subject of my query. So this note was intended for you:
"I hadn't discovered it when I opened the Navionics iPAd app (it was not intuitive to me). In the absence of a full User Guide, this is at least something that gives me a general overview of the software - so, again, thank you. I'm sure that most (if not all) of the purchasers of this Navionics app would agree that a User Guide would make this a much more valuable navigational tool."
Thank you again for this reference to the brief guide and sorry for my confusion in my earlier response that I misdirected to Bill.
teej
Old 07-12-2011, 17:02   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej

Richard, it is indeed disappointing that a $50 iPad app does not have a user guide. Stumbling through such an app to try and get the full benefits of the software is discouraging at best. It is encouraging that you are contemplating writing such a user guide. As I imagine Navionics is a popularly subscribed app, I think there will be many users who will similarly look forward to a users guide. Thank you in advance!
teej
Yes the user information could be a lot better. But the good news is you can't break it so I continue to poke around and try stuff. Setting and saving waypoints and routes is not inuitive, especially using them later.

For example I creat and save a route, then I have to go find the route in favorites, it will have a generic title "route001" and then you have to change the route name there. I have'nt found a way to set a descriptive route at the time I am creating one.

Also, maybe, I am wrong. But I loaded the iPhone app both on my iPhone and iPad. For Australasia the price point is 14.99 vs. 74.xx.

I run the iPhone version in 2x mode and save 60 bucks. Anyone know if I am missing any critical features solely for the ipad?

Note at present I have non-3g ipad 1 so no gps, so iPad app is still not "critical." I use the charts as bigger more legible reference and the iPhone for the gps part.

The best tool on navionics, imo, is the tides and currents. The second best feature is selecting nav buoys and getting a plane english description. i.e. "Red lateral buoy (can, cylindrical shapre) "CHANGI" having red flashing light with a period of 5 seconds"

The third utility is the iGadget native ability to take a screen shot. Super cool for taking a chartlet picture and email to someone or printing out to scribble notes on.

At $15 bucks for the iPhone version it is the best app I've loaded, except perhaps for Cruisers Forum - LOL
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 16:10   #9

Boat: Mariner 36
Re: Navionics iPad User Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Yes the user information could be a lot better. But the good news is you can't break it so I continue to poke around and try stuff. Setting and saving waypoints and routes is not inuitive, especially using them later.

For example I creat and save a route, then I have to go find the route in favorites, it will have a generic title "route001" and then you have to change the route name there. I have'nt found a way to set a descriptive route at the time I am creating one.

Also, maybe, I am wrong. But I loaded the iPhone app both on my iPhone and iPad. For Australasia the price point is 14.99 vs. 74.xx.

I run the iPhone version in 2x mode and save 60 bucks. Anyone know if I am missing any critical features solely for the ipad?

Note at present I have non-3g ipad 1 so no gps, so iPad app is still not "critical." I use the charts as bigger more legible reference and the iPhone for the gps part.

The best tool on navionics, imo, is the tides and currents. The second best feature is selecting nav buoys and getting a plane english description. i.e. "Red lateral buoy (can, cylindrical shapre) "CHANGI" having red flashing light with a period of 5 seconds"

The third utility is the iGadget native ability to take a screen shot. Super cool for taking a chartlet picture and email to someone or printing out to scribble notes on.

At $15 bucks for the iPhone version it is the best app I've loaded, except perhaps for Cruisers Forum - LOL
Hi,

Can you tell be if it's possible to get a heads up display and to have the heading in magnetic on the Ipad version of Navionics. Thanks
Sailor George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 16:52   #10

Boat: Mariner 36

Hi,

Can you tell me how to set the Navionics for an IPAD to HEADS UP and how to set it to magnetic heading. Thanks
Sailor George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 15:23   #11

I'm new to the forum so I apologize in advance if this has already been covered.
I just downloaded the navionics app for my iPad. Is it possible to load a route using lat and long?
Lindsey1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:18   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Silverton 33' "First Noel"

You can, but not very eaisly. If you go to the top let of the app click on the icon then you are in catagory, click on lat/Long and dial it in. I prefer just making a new route.
JNoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:02   #13

Thanks, I'll try that and pass it on to others.
Lindsey1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:32   #14

Boat: Coronado 26, Dragonfly, Precision 23

This thread is pretty dated so maybe so is my question.

I have just begun learing to use my iPhone as a navigation tool for limited range nav and racing. I have Navionics installed and have learned how to put pins or waypoints on using lat and long. However I see no way to plot a course between waypoints. There is no manual that I can find, but it's been around long enough that there are surely some of you who are agile at using this. Thanks in advance for advice or instructions on using it for simple navigation.

Mike
cptmclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:06   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Silverton 33' "First Noel"

You can make a route or waypoints. you can not connect the waypoints into a route. Sorry. to find the "How to" it is under help. click on Menu, slide the screen up and you will see help. click on help and it will give brief discriptions of how to use the Navionics APP.
JNoel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad, navionics