Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2017, 11:03   #1

Boat: Cherubini 33
Navionics question

Hello all,

The more I research this, the more confusion I seem to pick up.

I have a Lowrance 7 Elite, which despite being nagged every time I start her up not to use her as a primary navigation device, I have to admit that I ignore the admonition and do it anyways. She rewards me periodically by shutting down and re reminding me, often at inconvenient times.

Trying to pay attention to her persistent request, and try to make her happier, I decided to upgrade the charts to NAvionics and extend them to Carribean for the Lowrance, and at the same time load the same charts onto my iPad (which will act as a back up, below deck plotter, etc)

The chip for the Lowrance is $199.00, and the 'in app upgrade' for the iPad is $14.99, which is a subscription, but if you do not renew leaves all the charts behind on your iPad.

Why the colossal price discrepancy? Guess I am thinking of replacing my cranky Lowrance with an iPad, a flexible stand and a waterproof case. I feel that I must be missing something here.

Can anybody point out my error, please?

Thanks
Rocinante33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:45   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Navionics question

I think charts are an optional thing to a smartphone but charts are an essential part to a plotter. Hence the pricing difference.

Imagine the charts are actually worth just slightly more than the electricity required to write them. Maybe 1$ at best.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:21   #3

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante33 View Post
Guess I am thinking of replacing my cranky Lowrance with an iPad, a flexible stand and a waterproof case.
We did the exact same thing, replaced our ancient and non-updateable Garmin with Navionics running on an iPad in a waterproof case and on a fixed stand, connected to a charger. Since we're always under a hardtop bridge enclosure, we don't have issues of sunlight making the screen hard to see. Works great for us. Might for you, too.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 13:47   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante33 View Post
Why the colossal price discrepancy? Guess I am thinking of replacing my cranky Lowrance with an iPad, a flexible stand and a waterproof case. I feel that I must be missing something here.
Which one of the two stand up to a marine environment?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 14:19   #5

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I had a Lowrance HDS-7 that also crashed frequently. I have broadband radar so I was locked into the Navico family of product (Simrad/Lowrance/B&G) which are all broadband radar and Simnet compatible. I decided to get a B&G, which I found on closeout (prior-generation stock) from Defender. Sold my Lowrance on eBay and my net-net cost for the upgrade was about $200. My Navionics SD card charts transferred easily from Lowrance to B&G - I just had to specify a different device type when I updated the charts using the Navionics cart updater.

Get the Navionics charts for both your CP and iPad, and keep your eye out for a good deal.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 14:40   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Which one of the two stand up to a marine environment?
Likely both. I used EVA waterproofing bags over my slr era cameras, for diving. Never lost any piece of that gear. I did lose one MARES diving computer though due to water ingress.

A quality proofing case for a tablet should keep it pretty bomb-proof.

That is, imho.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 14:55   #7

JMHO, but I think the reason for the big difference in price between a chip for a plotter and buying the charts for a smartphone, is that with the chip, you actually get all the charts, right there in your hand.

With the smartphone you need to download them, and you don't get full detail unless you look at a particular area while you have an internet connection.

So in reality, most people don't get all the charts they've bought.

Still, it's aggravating to have to pay about $350 for the Australia/New Zealand chip, when the phone chart is $17.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 03:29   #8

Boat: no boat any more

afaik the chart on the mobile is exactly as on the SD/CF (only cheaper)
on an apple device it is locked to the apple-id i.e usable on all devices registered on this id, on all other manufacturer's mobile devices it is locked to the very unit i.e. if that gets damaged it's finito

Tags
navionics