Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2019, 18:45   #1

Boat: Pearson Countess 44
bottom paint

Hi all. We are in Cartagena, Colombia, hauled out. We have been using an ablative paint and are happy with how it has worked for us. The ablative bottom paint recommended by the yard here (and likely one of the few available) is Hempel's Antifouling Globic 9000 78950.

Anyone have any thoughts about this bottom paint?
Bill Streever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 19:24   #2

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer
Re: bottom paint

It looks like a nice paint.

From the Product Data Sheet: "As an antifouling for bottom and boottop on vessels operating in deep sea trade at medium to high speed and high activity with short idle periods."

The only application method listed is spraying.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 20:07   #3
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post

From the Product Data Sheet: "As an antifouling for bottom and boottop on vessels operating in deep sea trade at medium to high speed and high activity with short idle periods."
Clearly designed to be used on commercial shipping vessels, not cruising sailboats.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 20:23   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:

It looks like a nice paint if you’re underway constantly (containership), or like to clean you bottom weekly while anchored!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 15:27   #5

Hi Bill. I am in exactly the same situation. Needing to do a bottom job in cartagena and being offered Hempel 9000! Did you try it in the end? Would you recommend?
Kitecruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 15:46   #6

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Closer to sailing cruising boats is the stuff which goes on harbour tugs, harbour ferries or barges...
Old 04-11-2022, 17:32   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I was able to buy Seahawk antifouling in Cartagena, of a sort not legal in the US, though it cost a premium. Best bottom paint I ever had.

Be careful of buying Hempel from the guys doing bottom jobs cheap--rumor had it they draw off a good bit of paint for later sale, then top off the bucket with thinner so it looks full. I'd make sure I got factory-sealed containers and rolled it on myself.
Old 04-11-2022, 18:03   #8

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:

We had our bottom done in Cartegena, the contactor doing it brought a full 20lt tin of "Hemple" (generic-no label, no data sheet). It was substantially cheaper than the other paints available in Cartegena at the time. I suspected it was pilfered from a commercial job but I had no proof.

Only black was available.

The paint was applied by roller, went on fine, covered about like other paints I have used, and lasted over a year, which for us, is typical.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131115_092956.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	426.6 KB
ID:	266818  
Old 04-11-2022, 18:04   #9
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I was able to buy Seahawk antifouling in Cartagena, of a sort not legal in the US, though it cost a premium. Best bottom paint I ever had.
It's "not legal" in most of the civilized world's seafaring nations and the fact that that didn't stop you from using it speaks volumes.
Old 05-11-2022, 05:18   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
It's "not legal" in most of the civilized world's seafaring nations and the fact that that didn't stop you from using it speaks volumes.
If you want to start a thread on the politics and inconsistencies of pollution laws and the futility of banning certain products that are used in tiny amounts and not banning others that are used on massive ships, you could do so and thus not derail this thread with your judgements.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:50   #11
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
If you want to start a thread on the politics and inconsistencies of pollution laws and the futility of banning certain products that are used in tiny amounts and not banning others that are used on massive ships, you could do so and thus not derail this thread with your judgements.
Despite your attempts to minimize what you did and to justify using what is one of the worst poisons ever intentionally introduced into the marine environment, I will continue to pass judgement on you and any others who freely admit to using tributyl tin-based anti fouling paints. Because despite all the things you may be, what you are not is the arbiter of what gets posted in this forum.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:00   #12

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Despite your attempts to minimize what you did and to justify using what is one of the worst poisons ever intentionally introduced into the marine environment, I will continue to pass judgement on you and any others who freely admit to using tributyl tin-based anti fouling paints. Because despite all the things you may be, what you are not is the arbiter of what gets posted in this forum.
Fstbttms, I agree with you about the seriousness of using tributyl tin-based anti fouling paints and I also am willing to call out people who knowingly use it under the justification that it is legal in some places.

However, is it true that large commercial vessels are permitted to use this product? and how about military vessels?

If so, don't we need to speak out about that? and if not, then we need to squelch the misinformation.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:04   #13
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
However, is it true that large commercial vessels are permitted to use this product? and how about military vessels?
Any vessel can have TBT paint applied in those few countries that still allow that practice. But as far as commercial or U.S. (and presumably other) naval vessel go, they all have to do business in places that have strictly forbidden TBT paints to be brought into their jurisdictions, including the U.S. So no, commercial and military vessels do not use TBT anti fouling paints.
Old 06-11-2022, 04:32   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
And that's the great thing about internet forums, that anyone can pass judgment on anyone else for whatever hobbyhorse they may be riding at the time. Clearly this is yours, and I wish you joy of it, and I forgive your uncharitable words.
Old 07-10-2023, 12:06   #15

Boat: Hanse 505 50'

Old thread, but I have a little input. I'm here in Trinidad, and I don't have a lot of options.

I have found that there is Hempel Globic 9000 78900 available. Finding product info is hard because there seems to be two versions, 78900 and 78950 and the website isn't clear. But I was able to find deep links to datasheets.

The 78900 has this quote in the Datasheet, where the 79050 does not:

"The product is especially good for slow steaming vessels and vessels with frequent idle days."

That might make it more suitable to a cruising sailboat than the 79050.

I'm able to get it here for $225 for 5L, where other options here are pushing $500/gallon (3.8L). I might take the risk. I'm planning on going back to barrier coat next season anyway.
ohthetrees is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint