Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2011, 11:44   #1

Boat: Hopefully a cruising Catamaran about 40'.
Shortest waitlist and cheapest rates in San Diego

What Marinas in San Diego would have the shortest wait list for a slip or mooring spot and which ones would be cheapest? Thanks for any help.
DazeAtSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 11:51   #2

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Re: Shortest waitlist and cheapest rates in San Diego

I called around recently and here's what I found. Almar marinas were the most expensive and they don't allow dogs or (IIRC) liveaboards. The closer to the harbor mouth a marina was, the more expensive it was. The smaller marinas the farthest away from the bay's entrance were the least expensive. One was under $400.00 for a 40' boat. Most of the marinas had slips available, it was moorings that were hard to come by. I can't find my piece of paper with those notes on it right now, but there's a summary.
Old 24-06-2011, 11:57   #3

Thanks.

And I should note I also will need one which allows dogs. And it wouldn't necessarily need to be a live aboard. I wasn't thinking about that.
Old 24-06-2011, 12:01   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i just left and i can say this--if you desire a mooring and do not mind paying under 300 dollars per month for transient ball while you await a permanent one(1week to 4+yrs, in actuality) then do thaT-- THERE WILL BE SOME available usually all the time on htis basis. sorry i didnt leave my permanent ball--i was told to relocate from my transient one as i was only allowed to have one so you guys could come into sd..LOL..i just left april 7, and i am still a mooring tenant, but in absentia at present, so i still know--LOL
oh yes--ye can has goggies on moorings. just teaach goggie not to sink dink..... gooodluck. talk with vanessa aat the sd mooring co. i fergit the number-- i think is 291-0994 or some such.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 12:05   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i just left and i can say this--if you desire a mooring and do not mind paying under 300 dollars per month for transient ball while you await a permanent one(1week to 4+yrs, in actuality) then do thaT-- THERE WILL BE SOME available usually all the time on htis basis. sorry i didnt leave my permanent ball--i was told to relocate from my transient one as i was only allowed to have one so you guys could come into sd..LOL..i just left april 7, and i am still a mooring tenant, but in absentia at present, so i still know--LOL
oh yes--ye can has goggies on moorings. just teaach goggie not to sink dink..... gooodluck. talk with vanessa aat the sd mooring co. i fergit the number-- i think is 291-0994 or some such.
wa
Thanks! I take it that a sink dink is a turd in the water. Where was your ball at?
Old 24-06-2011, 12:19   #6

coronado--still is--has an ericson 35mII on it...
Old 24-06-2011, 12:23   #7

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987

A little harder for a trimaran-probably need an end tie. I would recommend Harbor Island West, which is part of the same company that controls the mooring balls. I was there 4 years and happy with the experience.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 09:36   #8

trimarans do quite nicely on moorings... there are may and they dont have to pay more for size -- ask vanessa about temporary moorings...
Old 21-01-2017, 10:36   #9

It's January 2017

Can someone please give an update on the cheapest marinas in San Diego?
Not looking for a live aboard situation.
Looking for long term slip rental.
mike93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 12:00   #10

cheeapest marina in san diego is chula vista marina. not almar, aka cal yacht but chula vista marina. otherwise, temporary ball from mooring company.
Old 21-01-2017, 12:09   #11

Boat: Catalina 42

It's funny to me how often the words "cheap" and "cheapest" are used on sailing forums...
Empty Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 08:03   #12

Looking for permanent slip as opposed to a mooring ball. I like your suggestion about Chula Vista. What is it like there?
Anyone have other suggestions?
mike93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 08:13   #13

you have already read all the possibilities in san diego.
there is north of sd --dana point--also with a long wait list-- you want inexpensive h ah aha ha and san diego--the two are mutually incompatible.
chula vista has a blurb err brochure--i am sure they are online with info. chula vista is essentially desert-- it is a little city . it is close to mexico. the marina is 2 hours motoring to open ocean.
good luck in your search.
there is the possibility of you driving to san diego to check things out--you are the only one who knows your prejudices and needs. you are only one able to figure out affordability for yourself. you are the only one able to filter the bs and find what makes you comfortable.
Old 22-01-2017, 08:23   #14

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike93108 View Post
Looking for permanent slip as opposed to a mooring ball. I like your suggestion about Chula Vista. What is it like there?
Anyone have other suggestions?
Chula Vista is a great marina, clean, secure. It's major drawback is the location. You are away from just about everything. Once you get used to public transit that part is good, but as Zee says, you are a long motor away from sailing. Zee; Steven on a CT 41 in Ensenada says hi.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 09:01   #15

so, goat--you in ensenada now??? how do rates for long term berthing of boats compare with san diego rates?? i was at marina ensenada--the one pauline runs, right on the malecon,next to botes juanitos--used to be between bandidos docks an d juanitos..used to be the fun place...has changed a bit since 1998 and 2011.
no i am not considering a northing---i stay in warmville--farthest north i will go is mazatlan.
it is COLD here in winter. HOT in summer--like phoenix, except the nights are much colder in phx. so far coldest mazatlan night i recorded was 46 f.....2011. this year i recorded 50f
close enough thankyou.

if original poster is able to berth boat in ensenada, the 90 miles or 60 miles--depends on how it is measured and where-- could be insignificant. marina coral and cruiseport marina are spozedly safe to leave boats. mexican marinas usually keep a crew of workers on hand for the maintaining of the boats while you are absent. security in mexican marinas is usually good. i have yet to be missing anything from my boat during any of my misadventures in ports in mexico--and i donot lock my boat when i go to town. cat needs air and he shreds any intruders those who presume to attempt boarding in my absence should i leave for a bit. he has helluva reputation here in mexico--como lion ... hahahahaha
goood bubba.

say hi back and hope to see him soon...tell him to keep that tank together....

Tags
san diego