Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2016, 02:04   #1

Brit sailing between US and Canada

Is this post on the right place?

We are British and are buying a yacht in WA USA to cruise initially British Columbia and Alaska. as tourists we believe we can liveaboard for a Max of six months in either country. However if we arrive by air on an ESTA and the leave the USA sailing on to Canadian waters when we leave Canada and sail into Alaska will we need a US B1/B2 visa in order to enter the country by sea on our own boat?

Has anyone out there done this?

If we have to get the visa could we get it in say Vancouver on arrival in Canada or Seattle before we leave the US?
CatCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:35   #2

Re: Brit sailing between US and Canada

... you need a B1/B2 visa for sure if you visit the US or insular area of the US (USVI).

In fact I would have it on hand even for the 'first trip'. You might have problems when you leave WA on ESTA and have to return to a US port due to problems (health, material, ....)

Most people also suggest it is generally better to get the visa in your home country.

Regards,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:26   #3

Boat: Malö 116 39'

I have a similar problem, but I come on the other side of the continent. I’ am about to sail over the Atlantic on the northern route, from Scandinavia via Island and over to Newfoundland Canada. My plan is to go up the Saint Lawrence River to the Great Lakes. Some of the locks on the river are on the US side. Can I pass them in some type of transit or do I need to check in to US? If I check in, do I have to check in to Canada when I continue my trip? I can be in US for max six month. My plan is that I shall go south on the Mississippi River to the Gulf, and then I need my six month for that. If the time starts to count from the first time I check in to US in the beginning of the season, I will not have much time to come down to the Gulf (or come down there to early). I need 14.0 m clearance under the bridges and I know Tenn-Tom has that clearance.
Lars_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:05   #4

Boat: Nonsuch 30

It is my understanding that if you are passing through the Seaway locks you do not have to enter the US - I think only one lock is in the US. Of course this assumes you do not go ashore anywhere in the US and just pass through the lock. Once you are through the lock (Iroquois?) you can stop on the Canadian side of the river.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:15   #5
Marine Service Provider

Don't take anything for granted, but instead check and confirm everything in writing and get every visa, approval of port of entry, etc. well ahead of time You may be thinking that we Americans are going to be armed to the teeth and unfriendly, while the jolly Canadians are just Brits with heavy accents, but show up at a Canadian port or point for which you don't have specific approval and you're in for a shock, up to and including the confiscation of your vessel.

Be prepared and you'll have a great time - the waters and scenery in Puget Sound and Queen Charlotte Strait are beautiful beyond words, but don't be casual about any government agency or regulation.

Good luck
John Mardall
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:54   #6

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars_L View Post
I need 14.0 m clearance under the bridges and I know Tenn-Tom has that clearance.
Lars, I hope you mean 14 feet and not meters.
To get from the great Lakes to the Tenn-Tom you need to go under a 19 foot bridge:

http://www.captainjohn.org/GL-3-Scoop.html

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:13   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Besides the visa, US customs like to know who is coming. While you have internet, copy the phone numbers of the US Customs where you may enter the US and call ahead a day before you arrive. The customs agents have caught terrorists at the US/Canada border.
There is an advanced id for US and Canadian citizens to simplify crossings. Maybe there is a similar system for Britain/Canada.
Nanaimo, depending on your route, is a better place to enter Canadian customs without the crowds and busy harbors of Victoria and Vancouver.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:22   #8

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

The op is talking west coast, not east coast.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:46   #9

Boat: O'Day 40

Given the low Canadian dollar would you be better off buying in Canada?
Old 06-11-2016, 11:59   #10

It is a sailboat and I shall sail from Iceland to Canada, so I mean 14.0 meters. I know that there is an openable railway bridge in Chicago who is so rusty that they do not dare to open it, but below that I hope I will manage with my 14.0 m.
I have a draft of just 1.5 m.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:20   #11

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Sorry for the thread hijack.
Lars L:
Please read through the 'Captain John' web site, great information. You will be better off, leaving the stick down, until you reach upper Mobil Bay. You might be tempted to sail. Push boats and narrow channels do not mix with sail.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:49   #12

The OP didn’t mention anything about what paper that’s needed to come in to Canada. Do they have a similar paper as the US B1/B2? Do I need any more papers when I come to Canada?
Old 06-11-2016, 14:05   #13

Boat: Catalina 375

Seaway System - Recreational Boating - Cruising the Seaway

here is the link for all questions seaway. I think the US lock is Eisenhower in NY State. When you get above the locks you will find some areas are in USA on both sides of where you are travelling. If you were to take the "Canadian" channel you might run into some depth issues depending on the season and your draft. I know I stay away from the Canadian side between Brockville and Rockport.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...tering-the-u.s.

this is a site for pleasure boaters with questions of US Immigration re pleasure boats.

Make sure all your ducks are lined up before you start. Do not screw with either side of the St Lawrence seaway.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 14:46   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
Given the low Canadian dollar would you be better off buying in Canada?
Lets see how the dollar gets on after tonight's result☺
CatCouple is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, sail, sailing