Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2016, 06:18   #1

Boat: Ranger 29 tug, C&C 34/36
canvas work needed?

I am an ex sail maker and canvas worker about to move into a live aboard scenario. Do you think there will be a need for my skills in a typical marina in New England? I live near NYC.
2savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 09:34   #2

Boat: Oyster 55
Re: canvas work needed?

I live in Connecticut and take my boat south for the winter. Brought my boat up here to get some work down to include replacement of my Bimini which is for a 44 ft cat so not cheap.
Spoke to 3 people...2 came to boat, never heard from the first guy who came to my boat, the other was only a phone conversation. The problem is that these are one man shows and when they are busy cannot handle the load. The third person was from a larger company (Fairclough) and they had the new Bimini on in a week despite their work crunch. The reason....they went into overdrive and worked extra hours to please their customers. Also want side curtains and dingy chaps which they can do later before I return to the islands.
So yes I think there is a lot of opportunity here just need to get the word out however obviously it will be seasonal.
Wish I had known about you a few weeks ago.
Wishing you good fortune.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 09:55   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: canvas work needed?

I live in SW Florida. There are both individuals and companies that will do canvas work. The quality and price are all over the board. One husband-wife team located near me have reasonable prices but the workmanship is terrible. Sloppy fit, poor attention to detail. Another gentleman that I've used exclusively for 20+ years, works alone. His work is a bit pricey, but the workmanship is impeccable. If I have any complaint its that his work is glove tight. He pays attention to detail to where he adds features that I did not think of for the same quoted price. He's always busy.

Point is, IMO your chance of success will depend upon your reputation. Also, if you are willing to do some minor sail repair and cushion covers, that will help. In any event, good luck.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canvas