Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2015, 05:23   #1

Boat: Morgan 462
Marinas/hard stand in the Ionian for wintering

Hello everyone. I so enjoy this forum!
We are headed to the Ionian for the summer and want to leave our boat there next winter. Per current Greek rules they may want us on the hard. We would prefer to stay in the water and risk the the repercussions. We are open to suggestions for either. Mostly looking for something cheap and safe. We will be gone for 6 months. We are a 14 meter monohull weighing in at 19 tons so a good lift is required for haul out.
I would appreciate any good recommendations.
terra57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 06:02   #2

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Re: Marinas/hard stand in the Ionian for wintering

Three or four years since we left that area, but just to get things started:

I know of lots of yachts that've been left afloat over winter without any hassle from the Authotities, indeed I don't know of any that have had a problem.

The best marina options would be Corfu, Levkas, or down the Patras Gulf at Missalonghi; if leaving the boat for several months, my own preference would probably be Levkas. Though Messalonghi would no doubt be a slightly cheaper alternative, unless the Marineiros there have learned a lot, you couldn't rely on them to do much in the way of checking/adjusting lines if necessary; then again, there always seemed to be an overwinter livaboard community in Messi, so if you ask around, someone'll no doubt keep an eye on the boat for you - I watched/checked two the winter we spent there.

If you decide to lay-up ashore, then there are lots of choices: Messalonghi, Nidri, Vlikho, Levkas, Preveza being the larger ones; prices were all much the same when we were there and my preference would be overwhelmingly for one of the Preveza yards (we used Yanni's Aktio yard) being across the estuary from the town proper, they're not as handy/accessible if you're on board, but as a lay-up and leave yard, they're perhaps the best we've used in twelve years cruising.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ionian, marinas