Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2019, 10:55   #31

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Critique my wiring diagram?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Where is the start battery?

You appear to be running the starter from the house bank. To me this is dangerous on any open water boat. It is also likely to damage the batteries as house banks are not designed for high currents. Maybe this is just left out on the diagram?

With 3 and maybe even 2 batteries in the house bank there are going to be plenty of amps for starting. They draw on each battery isn’t going to be high enough to cause a problem.

They problem is going to be if you have a tendency to let the house bank get too low before trying to start the engine. In that case you need either a separate starting battery or an alternative means of starting.

Alternatives would be a manual spring starter ($1-2k, not very realistic) or a jumper pack from Costco ($60).

For a separate battery alternatives for charging include:
A. ACR
B. Echo charger
C. Separate alternator
D. 10w solar panel and regulator in a window dedicated just to to the starter battery.

Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:03   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
No inverter is depicted in the OP circuit diagram, only a DC switch panel. I asked the OP what the specified cumulative load of the DC panel is so as to ascertain the appropriate conductor sizing which in the circuit drawing is depicted as a 2 gauge. The DC panel has an inline fuse depicted, but does not indicate the amperage rating thereof.

The ampacity rating of a 2/0 wire is much less than 300. It would be inappropriate to utilize a fuse that exceeds the conductors or the anticipated load ratings.

Specialized fuses utilized with inverters commonly have a blow rating twice that of the continuous rating so as to accommodate the short period of surge power requirements for appliance start ups.

It would be inappropriate to have a 300 ampere continuous rating fuse in line with a 2000 watt inverter.

Get a Marine chart. 105 degree 2/0 is rated at 325a outside an engine room.

Every inverter manual (victron, magum, xantrax etc). All list a 300a fuse with 2/0 in their install manuals.

smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:15   #33

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
No inverter is depicted in the OP circuit diagram, only a DC switch panel. I asked the OP what the specified cumulative load of the DC panel is so as to ascertain the appropriate conductor sizing which in the circuit drawing is depicted as a 2 gauge. The DC panel has an inline fuse depicted, but does not indicate the amperage rating thereof.

The ampacity rating of a 2/0 wire is much less than 300. It would be inappropriate to utilize a fuse that exceeds the conductors or the anticipated load ratings.

Specialized fuses utilized with inverters commonly have a blow rating twice that of the continuous rating so as to accommodate the short period of surge power requirements for appliance start ups.

It would be inappropriate to have a 300 ampere continuous rating fuse in line with a 2000 watt inverter.

FWIW, those fuse amperages were an artifact from Maine's original diagram, which featured a much larger bank in addition to an AC charger.

Apologies. I jumped the gun here. I should not have started this thread until the diagram and I were both ready for prime time. It was not, and I was not.

I need to go back to the drawing board for a while.
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:04   #34

Boat: Paceship Acadian Yawl 30 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Neill View Post
Apologies. I jumped the gun here. I should not have started this thread until the diagram and I were both ready for prime time. It was not, and I was not.

I would have to respectfully disagree with you kind sir! Speaking for myself, I just got a crash course on wiring as well as what to look for, do and not do. So, all I can say is "Thanks" for asking your question as well as everyone else who helped with educating others.
Old Today, 07:21   #35

Being an engineer and this is probably just nit picky, I like to see wire gage, type, and number of pairs on a wire (ie 12-2, 12-3). I realize that example may not apply to marine wire since its stranded and coated.
franktroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 16:39   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktroy View Post
Being an engineer and this is probably just nit picky, I like to see wire gage, type, and number of pairs on a wire (ie 12-2, 12-3).
I agree. That info will be added soon. For now, I don't know the lengths of the conductors, or even the exact batteries I'll be using.

Anyway, here's the latest incarnation. I added a reserve/starting battery (again, Ah approximate), and an on/off switch for the house bank. There will be a second bilge pump involved, but I think it will be wired from the breaker panel, so either bank can power it.

That's all I can think of right now. I spent the afternoon digging fence post holes, so my thinker isn't working very well right now. I need a shower and a cocktail very badly.

Old Today, 16:54   #37

Is that BIG one a 1-2-B switch? If so, what you show would work. If not, and it's just an I/O, it won't work, because whenever you turn it on, the reserve and house bank would be combined, negating the idea of a separate reserve bank.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 17:09   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Is that BIG one a 1-2-B switch? If so, what you show would work. If not, and it's just an I/O, it won't work, because whenever you turn it on, the reserve and house bank would be combined, negating the idea of a separate reserve bank.

It's a 1-2-both.

Tags
wiring