Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2019, 15:17   #1

Question Fisher 30 Off-Shore

Does anyone have experience that they may want to share motor-sailing a Fisher 30 off-shore? Atlantic, Pacific, around the world kinda thing. I have sailed in them over the years up here in the PNW but have no long passage experience. Things I would worry about is the masts stepped on deck and fuel consumption. Thanks for listening.
Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 15:34   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Fisher 30 Off-Shore

I wouldn’t worry about deck-stepped masts - we’ve had this discussion so many times and huge numbers of circumnavigating boats have deck-stepped masts. What matters more is the boat’s build quality and condition. Fishers are known for a number of things, but being under-built isn’t one of them. A good condition Fisher with well maintained rig will cross oceans no problem, and you have a good chance of staying dry and warm.

Fuel consumption is only an issue if you intend to motor a lot. You simply can’t carry enough diesel on a 30’ Fisher to cross oceans, so you’re going to be sailing, slowly. Take plenty of books and enjoy the trip.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 15:52   #3

Thumbs up Re: Fisher 30 Off-Shore

Thanks for the share. R
Old 04-12-2019, 17:28   #4

Re: Fisher 30 Off-Shore

Hello Plan B, A few years ago, while cruising the South Pacific, a Fisher 30 was in our Cruising Group. The boat was Swiss flagged and had already crossed the Atlantic and Pacific. We talked only a couple times with the married crew as there was a bit of a language problem. A side story is that while sailing westward in our loosely formed group, one of the boats began taking on water and could not stem the ingress sufficiently. The Fisher 30 was the closest buddy boat and rescued the crew. The other boat went down in mid ocean. (Our group had all been in daily contact via the SSB). Although I never heard all of the rest of the story, I assume the Fisher continued on around the world. As a tip, I would suggested you bias the boat a bit more toward sailing ability. Quite simply, a good sailing prop, like a Max-prop. Flush mounting of through-Hull’s. A smoother bottom. Perhaps a smaller aperture, and good light air sails. Good luck.
oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 17:36   #5

Thumbs up Re: Fisher 30 Off-Shore

Great info., thnx. R

Tags
fish, Fisher