Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2019, 14:11   #16

Boat: Pearson 323
Re: Necessary to design gimbal for Magma kettle grill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitlaw View Post
Speaking of a Weber- a picture of the mount would be great. I have a burned up magma and have thought a Weber was the solution. But how to mount those 4 legs?
I'll send you a picture if I go that route.

May follow Bill's advice and go with a single burner gimballed cooker. May just buy a high-pressure propane burner head, bend some sheet metal around it for wind protection, and design a compass-style gimbal for it.

Plenty of ideas to play with, anyhow.
Santiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 17:39   #17

Boat: Nordic 44

Thanks. There is another thread on CF with a bunch of pics. Search Weber grills.
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:44   #18

Boat: Beneteau 343

I am on my second Magma (corrosion got to my first one after 9 years - hopefully it is a good charcoal grill for someone now) and I have never seen a gimbal arrangement. The parts and anything cooking could easily go flying IMHO. There are times when I'd like to use it underway but for the most part I only use it in very settled conditions, mostly at anchor.

My new grill starts easily with starter button but I am sure that won't last but a few years. High winds have extinguished mine a few times but not enough to abandon. When it happens getting it lit again via grill lighter can be tough but I have always cooked through it.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:07   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitlaw View Post
Speaking of a Weber- a picture of the mount would be great. I have a burned up magma and have thought a Weber was the solution. But how to mount those 4 legs?
I went from a square magma to a weber Q. For the mount I cut a peice of starboard into a rectangle slightly larger than the footprint of the Weber. Then used some 1/4 inch machine bolts to attach the Q to the starboard. Then bolted the magma gimbal rail mount to the starboard.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/magma...0?recordNum=20
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm, Grill