Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2019, 16:42   #61

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy
Re: Bread Making on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Also, take a trip to costco or similar and buy a large bottle of yeast for a few dollars - it is equivalent to a large, and expensive, quantity of yeast packets. Store yeast refrigerated if possible. While at home I kept a modest amount in a jar in the fridge for regular use, topped up from the original stored in the freezer. It lasted for years and was a hell of a lot cheaper than those yeast packets.
Greg
My 'breading' is currently land-based, hope to figure out a stove top oven situation this coming season.

I buy yeast from the local co-op aka health food store. 5$ US a pound versus 8$ US for the quarter pound jar from the grocery store. I agree that it is best kept cool as mentioned above.

I only use a formal written recipe if using a bread machine, which is infrequent. Otherwise it's mostly by feel while mixing and kneading. Big stainless bowl for mixing, kneading, rising - contains all the mess.

Starting point: 3c Flour, 3/4c* water, 3 tsp yeast, 1 tsp salt. Rub some olive or vegetable oil on your hands esp. your fingernails before kneading. * I like to start out 'dry' and increase the water until the dough is lively but not sticky and more or less self-cleans the sides of the bowl. Cover with a clean dish towel while rising. After an hour, shape on floured board and let rise again for an hour. Bake at 400F for 10 minutes for pizza, 20 minutes for others. Learn the hollow sound done bread makes when tapped. Pizza gets another 10 minutes after toppings.

Sorry to ramble. The family just made pizza so it's a little bread-heady around here...
Old 18-11-2019, 16:52   #62

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

Carinapdx,
Not sure where you got the idea from, but I have never used anything other than basic ingredients or yeast from a glass jar in our bread maker ( never a mix).
It's doing the same thing as you suggested with your kitchenaid, with the added bonus it will cook it if you want it too!

Much like Jedi , we use ours all the time for pizza dough, and dough for shapes (rolls,etc) .. and NEVER mixes or yeast packets
Svsumurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 18:11   #63

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Many noobs to bread machines use mixes - I think they are often shipped with one or two. Also, many bread recipes specify one or two yeast packets. I suppose both make sense if not baking regularly, but it really is better to move on to bulk ingredients. I wasn't suggesting to use a Kitchenaid mixer aboard, although if you have the space and power then why not? It has more generalized application than a bread machine. Since the mixer also does the kneading with the bread hook there really isn't a big deal to leave it in the bowl to rise, and shape it into the pans. I confess I don't see the point of a bread machine, other than overnight baking for fresh bread in the morning (but at sea the night watch can do that).

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 19:00   #64

Boat: Rafiki 37

Bread is very easy to mix and make. It's one of the easiest thing to cook. And it's pretty hard to completely screw up. Even a bad bread is still pretty tasty.

All that is required is water, flour, salt, a bit of oil and yeast of some kind. If using standard yeast then a little sugar gets the yeast active.

I don't really measure my ingredients. I just start with warm water(~2-3 cups for two loafs), sugar (or honey, or maple syrup, or beer ... or whatever sweet thing is lying around) and yeast. Once yeast is active add some salt(to taste, I like ~1/2 teaspoon/cup of water), a bit of oil (~1/2 cup), and enough flour to make a mixture you can stir without splashing. Then beat it till it takes on a slight sheen. Takes a minute or two.

After this add enough flour to make a workable dough (not too sticky, not too dry). I also usually add some heavier grains like flax or bran, and often some spices like cumin or a little chili powder. Maybe some seeds or other oils ... whatever tickles your fancy.

Knead the dough for a couple of minutes, tops. Then cover with a damp cloth and let rise. Punch down once it's bigger (~double). I usually let it rise a second time, but this not necessary. Transfer to bread pans, then let rise again and bake. I usually bake at ~375F for about 45 minutes, but ovens vary so this can change.

Pop the loaf out of the pan when done. You'll know by look and by tapping the bottom. If it sounds sorta hollow, it's done. Let cool. Eat.

Easy peasy.
Old 19-11-2019, 00:26   #65

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

On the boat, we make bread about once a week, more often than not, pizza. I knead the bread in the mixing bowl and then use the same bowl, after cleaning, to let the dough rise. I usually line the bowl with a light film of olive oil for the rise. If the bread requires two rises, it makes it really easy to keep using the same bowl.

At home, we use a bread machine. It is slightly easier, but does not contribute to the artisanal feel of making everything by hand.

I have not tried the no-knead recipes but intend to. Some are said to produce a superior "artisanal" style bread compared to kneading.

Also, much of what I have read suggests that leaving traditionally kneaded dough in a fridge for one to several days improves the texture and taste, in some cases producing something like a sourdough style bread. I have done 24 hours of storage but didn't notice much of a difference. More experimentation is on the horizon.
Old 19-11-2019, 00:41   #66

Boat: Alubat Ovni 395

We have a gas oven. A tip: no need to pre-heat the oven as per most recipes. I bake from cold. This has several advantages:
1. It gives longer time for the warming carbon dioxide gas in the dough to expand and makes the bread lighter.
2. It gives a more even cook-through, so no more damp core to the bread.
3. It saves on gas. I used to waste a lot of gas trying to get the overn up to temperature before putting the loaf in. No more.
Antipole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 01:59   #67

Boat: Irwin 32

No knead for that:
https://www.mensjournal.com/food-dri...cipe-20140416/
This is a GREAT recipe, and easy peasy!
bhillmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 03:15   #68

DMK,

I don't know whether you can get them in the US, but I use one of these https://www.lakeland.co.uk/18403/Lék...ne-Bread-Maker . It's a "one stop shop" mixing bowl. kneading area, proving bowl and straight into the oven. - Keeps work tops clean and washing up close to zero.
Oyster406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 06:56   #69

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36

I use our large non-stick wok for mixing and kneading. We have a large aluminum pressure-cooker which I bake bread in. After the first rise, coat the bottom half of the pressure cooker with butter or oil, add a tablespoon of cornmeal and shake around to coat the inside of the pressure cooker. Put your dough in and allow it to rise again. Fit the lid WITHOUT the weight(some say you should remove the gasket from the cooker lid; I have never bothered with this and never had a problem) and cook on LOW heat for about 45-55 minutes, depending on your stove and pressure-cooker. The top will stay white with perhaps a quarter-sized wet spot in the middle. The sides and bottom will be golden and crisp. You don't need to have the oven on full and heat up the boat to make your bread, saves on cooking gas too!
caribcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 08:26   #70

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster406 View Post
DMK,

I don't know whether you can get them in the US, but I use one of these https://www.lakeland.co.uk/18403/Lék...ne-Bread-Maker . It's a "one stop shop" mixing bowl. kneading area, proving bowl and straight into the oven. - Keeps work tops clean and washing up close to zero.
That's pretty cool, thanks!

And yes, it's available in the US on Amazon, about $25US.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 09:43   #71
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit_L View Post
Macblaze wrote:

I was not clear in what I wrote—I don't actually have an oven on board yet! The main reason is that we are using only solar power presently; the generator will be serviced soon, then I will be posting about what's the best on-board electric oven.

I do use a Dutch oven inside an electric one at home. Thanks!
A grill in the cockpit works as well
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 09:56   #72

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJDK View Post
No knead bread is the best way to go. I use it all the time and the result is just fabulous.

Same here, been doing this and a sourdough variant in a cast iron dutch oven for years.
Bread making machine collects dust in a locker.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 18:34   #73

Boat: Adams 13, 13.5m

We cook with a 2 burner meths/spirit stove. No space for an oven, and don't have propane. We use an Aldi $80 AUD breadmaker with 1500watt inverter.
Breadmaker sits beside centre board case, and works ok including going to windward at sea in f6.
Easy to clean up.
barryglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 17:04   #74

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
I'm ready to venture into the area of baking my own bread, but I'm not sure what area I should use to knead the bread - space is somewhat limited.

I have covers that go over the sinks in the galley, but I'm thinking the metal grips in the center of each panel will be fille5d with flour/dough.

The dining table has a nice flat surface, but will I destroy the fine finish on the table surface if I use this area for kneading the bread?

Suggestions?
Strange topic indeed.
Surely you can ged a board big enough to knead the dough?
Thats the trouble with condo boats where you can't put down a coffee mug on the table without worrying it might stain the fine finish.
Life sux
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 06:12   #75

Boat: Oyster 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Same here, been doing this and a sourdough variant in a cast iron dutch oven for years.
Bread making machine collects dust in a locker.
How does this recipe work. The very hot water surely kills the yeast?!

TS
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote