Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2015, 15:11   #46

Re: Morgan 33 Out Island Owners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Did you keep the name "Times Square"?
Not long term. I have to get lettering made to change it. I plan on calling it "Sweet Allie Bluebeard".

Allie is my 12 year old daughter, who is indeed sweet. My 14 year old son made that up as her computer name. Robbie is big into the Pirates of the Caribbean movie series.

I thought it would make a distinctive boat name.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 18:19   #47

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

It isn't even the first time I was wrong this afternoon.😋

I too would be interested in the mechanism. I met a fella with an OI 51 w/ a centerboard. 10'3" draft with it down.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:31   #48

OK, here it is.

That skinny little string looks like a weak point to me. I am having the boat hauled and painted and while it is out I will be running a stainless wire or something.

According to a very smart mechanic here at the marina, the board is something called "zero weight underwater". Above water it is somewhat heavy but underwater it is light. Which ignores hydrodynamic pressures if the boat is moving.

Anyway, that is the widget.

We shall see if the pic attached to this message.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP8734.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	411.5 KB
ID:	108438  
Old 04-09-2015, 09:52   #49

Well, somebody added that to try to get better windward performance. It's not a pretty mod but no big deal as long as water isn't getting into the keel cavity from the bolt hole! My guess is you will just want to learn to use the boat as it was designed and eventually abandon that jury rigged centerboard.
I would be concerned about figuring out if water has entered the keel cavity though.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:19   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Well, somebody added that to try to get better windward performance. It's not a pretty mod but no big deal as long as water isn't getting into the keel cavity from the bolt hole! My guess is you will just want to learn to use the boat as it was designed and eventually abandon that jury rigged centerboard.
I would be concerned about figuring out if water has entered the keel cavity though.

The person who modded the boat won his division at Block Island Cup Race in 1978. He also added a bowsprit to push the jib sail area up. I haven't put the CB down as I am temporarily confined to a somewhat shallow bay and the string is questionable.

I am about to have the boat pulled and painted so I will address the string when the boat is out of the water. The survey did not find moisture in the area.

I will be replacing the string with a steel wire or similar I think and then will use the drop board when appropriate. Why not?
Old 04-09-2015, 12:28   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
.......................... I will be replacing the string with a steel wire or similar I think and then will use the drop board when appropriate. Why not?
Now, with a clear picture of the centerboard, I would not go to the trouble of changing the line as the board seems relatively light compared to lead centerboards. If a change in the line is needed, you can use Dyneema for strength, but I don't think that's necessary.

For the safety of your boat, I would keep an eye on the integrity of the tube that rises from the through hull with the lifting line within it to a level above the waterline. If this tube remains in good condition then, I see no harm.
Old 04-09-2015, 13:17   #52

Quote:
Now, with a clear picture of the centerboard, I would not go to the trouble of changing the line as the board seems relatively light compared to lead centerboards. If a change in the line is needed, you can use Dyneema for strength, but I don't think that's necessary.

For the safety of your boat, I would keep an eye on the integrity of the tube that rises from the through hull with the lifting line within it to a level above the waterline. If this tube remains in good condition then, I see no harm.
The tube itself is copper and goes up to within a couple of inches of where the line goes through the bulkhead by the hatch. IOW the top is well above the counters. It is fiberglass coated. Unless someone smashed into it with a wrench (hard!) it will never be damaged.

My concern is really the area where the string exits the hole into the ocean. That 45 degree angle is a natural wear point. Also where it attaches to the board, it is going to rub there as well as the board is raised and lowered.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:18   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post

My concern is really the area where the string exits the hole into the ocean. That 45 degree angle is a natural wear point. Also where it attaches to the board, it is going to rub there as well as the board is raised and lowered.
You're likely right in thinking that the line could chafe and eventually need replacing; however, the steel cable could "saw" it's way into a softer metal at the through-hull fittings. 'maybe bronze or even plastic. I hate to keep pointing at negatives, but it's best to consider them.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:01   #54

Quote:
You're likely right in thinking that the line could chafe and eventually need replacing; however, the steel cable could "saw" it's way into a softer metal at the through-hull fittings. 'maybe bronze or even plastic. I hate to keep pointing at negatives, but it's best to consider them.
Right you are. I had not considered the sawing side of things. That stainless is tough stuff.

I will discuss this with the Marina when the boat is hauled. We can look at the line used, look for chafe etc. I have no idea how old that line is. I could start using it and have it break next month or 6 months down the road simply because the line may be 20 years old. It seems prudent to at least replace that line with new chord.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:46   #55

Boat: morgan outisland 33

my 33 has a apt size frig undef counter top on port side adjacent to the deep sink, and we have a micro wave on top of it. also in the starboard lazaret the previous owner made a 1x2 frame , or square kind of box fitted down to the bottom of hull and fastened to wood at top next to hatch opening, I keep all the spare anchor and rhode and boat cleaning equip oil and extra gear ect tons of room. the other side could be done the same way if you didn't have to get down there to work on engine???
eltombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:09   #56

Boat: morgan outisland 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherssa View Post
Great discussion. I also have a 33 OI that I am learning on. I am in need of a newer mainsail. Can any one let me know how close to the original I need to be in replacing this item. My orginal is a 35.6' luff; 37.9' leech and 14' foot.

Also, what have others done with the refrigeration system. Mine is shoot and was wondering what has been done other than to replace the original Andler system?
I just bought a 1976 oi33 and it has new thru battened main by north sails in st. pete, fl. looks good sails great in both light and heavy air. and it has a frige under the counter top on port side adjacent to sink, and we put a micro wave above it.
eltombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:40   #57

I've had mine for about 5 months now and am loving it. Nice boat, big and roomy. It actually sails pretty well. Needs a reef at 15 kts wind. Will move (slowly) clear down at 5 kts.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:20   #58

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

cannot find id number on my 33 O/I. I believe it was built in 1976. nothing visible on transom. not in my paperwork so I suspect the previous owner did not know either.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:08   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
cannot find id number on my 33 O/I. I believe it was built in 1976. nothing visible on transom. not in my paperwork so I suspect the previous owner did not know either.
You'll be able to track down your Hull Identification Number that begins with MRY.... if you know your year and hull number which are numbers included within the HIN. You'll likely find the Hull Number stamped on the plate at the aft end of your boom. I've seen some Out Islands without the hull number on the boom, but it was a common practice.
Old 05-01-2016, 21:32   #60

Boat: 39 Fountaine Pajot

I have been searching to buy a Morgan 33 OI and have my eyes on a couple. Given the fact that she is updated would anyone have issues sailing a 33 through the Bahamas. Our sailing plan includes the Bahamase for 4-6 months a year and maybe at some point a little more south. I also have been looking at a couple 38 and 40 but more cash and needs more updating which reduces my kitty for cruising. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
BeachbumKW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan, morgan out island