Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2015, 07:30   #1

Boat: Hunter 49
Hunter 45 Center Displacement Length Ratio

I am looking at buying a 2008 Hunter 45 Center Cockpit for live aboard and cruising the Caribbean and maybe more adventurous trans ocean trips. I am trying to figure out the math for the displacement/length ratio to determine what type of cruiser the boat manufacture is claiming her to be. From the book Annapolis Seamanship, boats with a displacement length ratio should be over 325 for a heavy cruiser. Anything in between 200-325 is a moderate displacement cruiser. When I did the math, the answer I found was 170. Which classifies this boat as a racing vessel. Not sure if I am doing the math right. Does anyone know how to figure this problem out or any thoughts if this displacement length ratio is being an overrated quality in determining the label of a cruising boat
patriot17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:07   #2

Boat: Hunter 33
Re: Hunter 45 Center Displacement Length Ratio

Your math is right. I got 170.37. To my knowledge, Hunters are considered better for coastal cruising as opposed to "blue water".
Old 07-06-2015, 08:14   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot17 View Post
any thoughts if this displacement length ratio is being an overrated quality in determining the label of a cruising boat
It is a highly over-rated quality. Basically, the higher the D/L, the slower the boat. However, high D/L boats tend to be more comfortable while one is wallowing about being passed by sea turtles and jellyfish. Unless they are pointed downwind...

Also, the D/L doesn't take into account anything about the build quality or outfitting of a boat, so it doesn't really have anything at all to do with how the boat will hold up cruising long-term.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
It is a highly over-rated quality. Basically, the higher the D/L, the slower the boat. However, high D/L boats tend to be more comfortable while one is wallowing about being passed by sea turtles and jellyfish. Unless they are pointed downwind...

Also, the D/L doesn't take into account anything about the build quality or outfitting of a boat, so it doesn't really have anything at all to do with how the boat will hold up cruising long-term.

Mark
All things taken equally boats are sold by the pound. The only thing that can change that is high tech,high quality lighter, stronger build construction. None of the entry level boats are built to the latter standards so it still gets back to poundage.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:39   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

My point is that for any given D/L, the number itself doesn't say anything about the build quality or outfitting suitability. Also, there are many examples of poor quality high D/L boats and high quality low D/L boats. The number is meaningless in determining quality or suitability for long-term, long-range cruising. Cruising grounds are filled with high D/L boats that are in very poor shape and were never of high quality - their D/L number makes no difference, and never did.

I disagree to some extent about price. A cored construction or aluminum, fin keel light boat can be very well built to the same price as a solid glass, full keel heavy boat. Compare a new Cabo Rico to an equivalent sized Allures, for example. Lots of other examples outside entry-level boats. Particularly true when looking at used boats - there are many examples.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:22   #6

Colemj....I think you might have a point with just looking at numbers. I just looked at the Annapolis Seamanship book again about blue water cruising dimensions. The book talks about the ballast/displacement ratio. It says a boat with a ratio lower than 35 percent is considered a pure cruising boat. Over 45 percent is considered a racing boat. This is where things get confusing, Hunter 45 center cockpit has a 32 percent ratio. So in the two different ratios that the book discusses, one says the Hunter is a blue water cruiser and the other ratio says its a racing boat. Now that is confusing.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:37   #7
cruiser

I used to own one of those. If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a PM.

Excellent boat for coastal cruising and island hopping from one calm anchorage to the next. Get one with a generator.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot17 View Post
............one says the Hunter is a blue water cruiser and the other ratio says its a racing boat. Now that is confusing.
Well, of course it will be IF you do what you're doing: taking individual numbers and mis-using them for evaluation purposes.

Ted Brewer writes regularly for Good Old Boat magazine, and compares the boat of the month with other boats of that size and vintage. He ALWAYS uses multiple comparative factors in his presentations. So should you.

And I'm sure in that book you're looking at there is a presentation that says: "Never use only one criteria and here's how to compare numbers and make them useful."

There are probably a bunch of paragraphs explaining how to amass all the different "number crunching" figures, too.

Good luck, happy analysis.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:42   #9

Boat: Cheoy Lee OS 41 ketch

Just returned from A bareboat charter on a Hunter 45 CC. El Primo, this boat has the 5 foot shoul draft keel, about 5'. So maybe the rating confusion is about which keel ( they can the deep or short keel )they are measuring. Great live aboard boat with generator and very good HVAC system. As far as sailing, we had very light wind in the Gulf of Mexico and the boat really didn't want to move all that well. We had the 61 foot air draft rig with a 100 % roller jib, so not exactly a racy rig. Boat seemed heavy for the sail area and wind that we experienced.
Racer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:28   #10

I sse that you chartered a boat from Sailing Florida (Ihave been chartering with them for years). Just chartered a Catalina 350 Hold'r Newt from them on Memorial Day weekend and worked out great. The boat went 6 knots on a beam of 12-15knots. But she had 115% genny. The Hunters usually only have about a 100% and that is what drives the boat forward.
mholtzberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:34   #11
cruiser

Widen your search and begin looking at boats like these, which can safely take you anywhere you want to go for about the same money. Most of them come already equipped for a live aboard couple.
1990 Tayana 52 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	103382  
Old 08-06-2015, 08:48   #12

Thanks for all the info and advice. I sincerely appreciate it. Just trying to learn the ropes of sailing
Old 08-06-2015, 08:55   #13
cruiser

Maybe it's time to find out where Racer86 chartered his boat, then go down yourself and spend a week on a Hunter 45. But the most difficult difference to understand between a boat like the Tayana 52 and the Hunter, is the way it rides through the water. It's something you have to experience, forget about the numbers.

If I had to describe the feeling in one word it would be "confidence."
Old 08-06-2015, 09:15   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

D/L ratio is a pretty minor assessment. If you want to depend on ratios become an architect. You may well depend on info. of those that have experience with that type vessel.
Throw out any response by those that have absolutely the best thing since sliced bread. See if there is an owners group. Reading their exchanges would be invaluable.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:43   #15

Boat: '06 Hunter 45cc Sailboat, 45'

It's not really a factor. My wife and I have lived aboard for 10 years now on hull #15 of the 45cc series. Equipped with a water maker, 8kw genset, three 4-D house batteries and a Group 27 starting battery and roller furling main and jib sails, we've put 20,000 miles on her and run from Pittsburg to Mobile (and every stitch of water we could get into in between), the entire Bahamas chain and the Turks and Caicos Islands, to date.

The 45cc is solid as a rock, sails best in 15 to 25 kts and was not difficult to manage when we were stuck for 12 hours in 14'+ seas. It's a dream to single hand and the perfect live aboard boat as well. Go for it!!
Capn_G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
displacement, hunter, men