Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2015, 17:30   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Cruising Guide to the Nova Scotia Coast

Sailing Nova Scotia - $25.00 plus postage

There is even a thread here on C.F. for Nova Scotia - see:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tia-27205.html

And this is a cruising guide from the back shelves of OSIRIS - this one about the Nova Scotian coast including Prince Edward Island; the Magdalens; and Sable Island.

I only got as far north as Boston during the summer I was intending to sail up the Canadian coast. Seems we are always a day late and a dollar short and in this case the weather was turning cold because we were 3 months late.

Anyway, this guide is fantastic covering such subjects as the charts, publications, navigational aids; Times and distances; Fuel; Customs; and then each region starting with the Bay of Fundy; the Narrows of MInas Basin; New Brunswick; Digby and beyond all the way to Prince Edward Island and the Magdalens.

You can see from the photos attached that this is a loose-leaf binder type book with separate pages for each subject/region. The pages are heavy stock poster type paper that won't tear or wrinkle if you use moderate precaution.

No more "flimsy" tissue paper pages. It has well-drawn sketch charts with refernces marked to the accompanying text descripton. Also suggested routing into and out of each cove/harbor/anchorage.

Hard cover book versions on this subject are posted at about $107.00 with soft cover type guides at about $45.00

This is not a new book, then again most guides are several years old by the time everything is accomplished and you can hold it in your hands.
So this version is only 25.00 plus Postage (its a heavy booklet - 2.5 lbs = approximately $5 media mail)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cruising Guide Nova Scotia Cover 6806.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	100610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cruising Guide Nova Scotia Page 7003.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	100611  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cruising Guide Nova Scotia Page 7004.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	100612  
Old 17-04-2015, 18:16   #2

Boat: Holman & Pye Red Admiral 36
Re: Cruising Guide to the Nova Scotia Coast

Hi again !

Do you have any charts for Newfoundland, way upper Canada or Greenland?

Doug Brown
Old 18-04-2015, 01:30   #3

Yes - but they are electronic raster charts that can be used with any computerized nav program (application) that will accept and display BSB format "raster" charts (exactly the same format as NOAA uses to distribute their US collection of raster charts.)

I don't keep paper copies of charts as I have a library of over 14,000 of them. I have collected them over the years as raster charts and they cover just about the whole known earth - or at least the "wet" part of it that we can get to as cruisers.

I cannot sell them but if you can use and display raster charts, send me a memory stick of at least 2 Gb and I will put the Canadian east coast raster charts on it. Assuming that you live in the USA, include a prepaid postage return envelope or sufficient postage to put on the envelope containing the memory stick you sent - so I can get it back to you.
Old 19-04-2015, 15:30   #4

Boat: Little Harbor 38

Wow, what year is that edition?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-04-2015, 22:15   #5

Don't know - as it is sold and in the mail on its way to the new owner. But, thanks for your interest in the book.
Old 21-04-2015, 19:06   #6

When some members asked about my library of Canadian Raster Charts - I examined my nav program and maps directories and could not find the Canadian Charts - I have raster charts of just about the whole planet (about 14,000 of them) and I will make them available to CF members who can use raster charts.

But after 2 days of searching through old CD's of raster charts I found the Canadian charts.

So they are available to any CF member who can use Raster charts in the BSB and Maptech formats. Just send me a PM and I will reply with where you can mail a 2.5Gbyte or larger memory stick along with prepaid return postage so I can get the stick back to you.
Old 23-04-2015, 04:06   #7

P.S. The Canadian Nautical Charts cover the east coast from Maine to Newfoundland and the West Coast from Vancouver to Alaska.

Tags
cruising, nova scotia