Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2017, 20:03   #1

Why is sailing so formal?

Why is everything in sailing so formal? Everything from the techniques to the names of various items.

Is it just held over from the old days? Are other boating sports just as formal? I mean, I've never heard of power boats say they were tacking.

It's just an observation that I've made and wondered about. I didn't know if was just something that carried over through the years, or if it was mostly a safety thing, or what.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 20:09   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Re: Why is sailing so formal?

Actually, as a delivery guy; we often tack power boats upwind/seas... oh, and sailing has many wonderful traditions; one is a colorful language...
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 20:17   #3

So it's more a tradition thing than it is a practical/safety thing?
Old 26-04-2017, 20:25   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

much of it, yes; now TACKING? That's how you sail up wind....
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 20:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
much of it, yes; now TACKING? That's how you sail up wind....
I know... but why isn't it just called "sailing up wind?"
Old 26-04-2017, 20:26   #6

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
Why is everything in sailing so formal? Everything from the techniques to the names of various items.

Is it just held over from the old days? Are other boating sports just as formal? I mean, I've never heard of power boats say they were tacking.

It's just an observation that I've made and wondered about. I didn't know if was just something that carried over through the years, or if it was mostly a safety thing, or what.
Hi TooCoys,

Not sure that I understand what you mean by "formal"? Every activity has it's own lingo and jargon, it's not meant to be formal or exclusionary, it's just what things are called. Sure, the history behind the terms may be obscure, but that doesn't negate their value. Taking your example of "tacking", what else would you call it? Zig-zagging does not seems to aptly describe it, and that's about the best I can come up with .

There's definitely a lot of terminology that harkens back to days of yore, and having a common vernacular does indeed enhance safety. But I wouldn't call it formal.

Now, if you want formal, let's go visit the New York Yacht Club...

Regards,
David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 20:31   #7

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Giving definitive and specific names to items or groups of items facilitates communication and helps avoid confusion. For example, when yelled out during a gale, "Main Halyard" is more easily expressed and understood than "that long rope that we use to raise the big sail that's behind the mast".

Other than language, there is little formality that I've noticed amongst sailors in this part of the world. Folks speak their mind and wear (or in some cases) or don't wear whatever they like.
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 20:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Now, if you want formal, let's go visit the New York Yacht Club...

Regards,
David

LOL! They'd laugh my boat right out the harbor!

I was just wondering why there was SO MUCH lingo, and why its such formal lingo.

I'll watch videos of some kind of fancy technique I've heard about, and then its such a simple technique its kind of a let down. LOL
Old 26-04-2017, 20:46   #9

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 41

Most activities that have specialized knowledge and skills have specialized language. Music, science, finance, medicine, etc.

The specialized language serves several roles - some of those roles are exclusionary and may even have class (or in some cases racial) overtones and connotations.

But for the most part the specialized vocabulary serves two roles:
1. Efficient communication of precise and technical information. "Left" and "right" by themselves need more words to convey meaning - left or right in relationship to what? The boat? The speaker? The listener? "Port" and "starboard" are more precise and efficient.
2. A quick and dirty way to establish (within broad ranges) the experience and knowledge of crew, pilot, skipper, etc. No it's not 100% accurate, but familiarity with the vocabulary is one of the fastest ways to differentiate between lubber and sailor.

Now, outside the vocabulary concerns - a lot the "formality" the OP (may) be questioning comes down to tradition.

There are two thoughts on tradition. One is that tradition is little more than thoughtless conservatism that is no better than ancestor worship. The other is that tradition is how important (and potentially life-saving) knowledge gets transferred from one generation to the next.

IMO, the best path is somewhere between the two. Some traditions really do codify important safety (and social) lessons that have evolved from thousands of years of sea-going knowledge and experience.

Others are *&*$ing pointless exercises that do nothing but exclude people from the community.

The trick is in differentiating between the two.
mogulskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 20:48   #10

I'm an engineer. They call things by their proper names for identification purposes.

You wouldn't call :Mom: "Dad" would you?

Specificity helps, when left and right are different than port and starboard.

There actually is good reason for it, regardless of "only" tradition.

Sure, lotsa folks get away with calling portlights windows, galleys kitchens and berths bedrooms.

Your boat, your choice.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 21:00   #11

Quote:
It is called sailing up wind. Or sailing to windward. Or beating. Or bashing...

Tacking is the technique used to sail up wind. It describes the maneuvers necessary, due to the fact that our boats can't sail directly upwind.

Its just a piece of terminology. You could say zig zagging, but that isn't as specific.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 21:04   #12

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Wife: Do you think we can lay the jetty inlet?
Me: In in a minute or so, the flood is still pretty strong.
Wife: OK.
[Several minutes later]
Me: Ready?
Wife: Yep
Me: Go for it. Close Reach at the end.

Then we do what we do... Tack

For most of our daysailing, we sail home upwind.
That's just the geometry of our local sailing area and time/tide situations.

For those who critically analyze the photo, we were sailing downwind with no main under cruising spinnaker doing about 8 knots thru the water on the way home from vacation in Canada with a flood tide past Port Townsend. It's just a shot of my wife of 47 years, so there !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	146339  

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 21:14   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Because it's not "sailing up wind". It is "passing the front of the boat through the wind" as opposed to "gybing" which is "passing the back of the boat through the wind".

It's much easier for the skipper to call out "prepare to tack" than "prepare to pass the bow through the wind".

Similarly with all those other nautical terms. There are so many bits of string hanging about on a boat that it's much safer to say "ease the main halyard" than "slacken off that rope that is attached to the top of the big rear sail."
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 21:38   #14

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

Sailing does have terminology which describes a specific action or piece of equipment. It is a bit weird at first, but before long it all comes together. Much of the terminology comes from over 100 years ago so it is somewhat dated.

Other sports have specific terminology as well, although the language is perhaps a bit more modern. Football, baseball, fishing, skiing - They all have their own words to describe specific actions or equipment.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 21:49   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Taking your example of "tacking", what else would you call it? Zig-zagging does not seems to aptly describe it, and that's about the best I can come up with
Two big reasons to evolve.. safety and fun. The barrier to entry for casual sailors is kinda ridiculous compared to just about any other hobby. And when those newbies are on the boat, it's very hard to communicate with them... not because there isn't specific lingo, but because that lingo isn't intuitive.

I know how much tradition is involved, but I really wish there would be a revolution similar to metric vs imperial. Take your "tacking" example. Wouldn't "fore-tack/aft-tack" vs tacking/jibing make more sense as they are unified and easier to remember which is which for a newbie? Same with starboard. For a phrase we use all the time, a single syllable option would make so much more sense. I mean, just saying right to refer to the side of the boat could jibe with the fact that they have "right of way" under sail. There could be so much more integration.

I know I'll get destroyed for this comment and that's ok. See you on the water.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing