Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2017, 22:30   #1

Boat: Ericson 35-2, 1980
SF Bay Rigging

I purchased my new-to-me 1980 Ericson 35-2 at the end of last year. My plan was to sail this summer and haul the boat in the fall for maintenance, paint, etc. I decided to install a Dutchman flaking system last month and as my toping lift was fixed at the top of the mast, Hood Sails had South Beach Riggers come over and install a block on top so as to run the topping lift back down the mast. Hood did an awesome job (as did SBR) and the system looks and works awesome!

When I called SBR to pay my bill, they told me it was time for new rigging. This is my 9th sailboat since I bought my first in 1998 and as they were all classic plastics having been built from 1964 - 1977, there's not one that couldn't use new standing rigging. I was young and single and I knew dismasting and other issues related to double red flag days were always someone else's problems. But now that I'm no longer terribly young, terribly broke and more importantly, terribly single, I feel these are issues to actually get fixed before I had wished I had gotten them fixed.

My question is this: I'm going to haul the boat at KKMI (probably Richmond - I keep her at SF Marina north of Fort Mason and I live in Sebastopol)...does anyone have experience with either (or both) KKMI and South Beach Riggers as far as rigging is concerned? I'm definitely going to haul the boat so I can check the thru hulls and replace the prop and probably repaint the bottom. So, is it better to haul at KKMI and still have SBR do the rigging or just have KKMI do the rigging as well?

Thanks
Spiny Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 23:06   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: SF Bay Rigging

I don't have any experience with either (I recently hauled at Berkeley Marine and replaced the headstay myself) but a friend was at the Boat Show and won a coupon for a bottom package at KKMI that you're welcome to, if you can use. I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but I think it has some value. I don't think it's the regular ad they run in Lat38. PM me your address and I'll mail it to you.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging, sf bay