Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2017, 12:25   #1

Bareboat Charter Near Cancun?

My wife is finally on the verge of talking me into a land-based trip to the Tulum area of Mexico. We are looking at renting a house for a week with another family which, quite frankly, sounds miserable to me. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem being with another family and a nice house sounds fun - but for maybe a couple of days, not an entire week. I am the type of person who needs to be active, challenged, or otherwise thrilled on a regular basis which is why so many of our vacations are have been charters, ski trips, or other out-of-the box trips - which the entire family typically enjoys.

Anyway, I was hoping that maybe there would be a place to charter a sailboat for a few days but I haven't had any luck finding any charter companies down there. Does anyone know of any outfits in the Cancun-Tulum area that would let me charter a sailboat without crew? It would actually be really cool to charter it for the whole week and be able to come by the house to drop off/pick up house guests. Maybe even anchor off the beach in front of the house for a night or two. If that is not an option I am hoping I can at least find a place to rent a small sailboat or Hobie Cat for some fun day excursions. It just doesn't seem too charter-friendly down in that area but I hope I am missing something.

Also, we are looking at going down during the first week in April. I am a kiteboarder so if the wind blows at least in the low to mid-teens I should be able to spend some time kiteboarding - which could be the saving grace for me. Anyone know what the typical winds might be that time of the year? And yes, I know I may sound a bit jaded - I am just wired in a way where I have to stay active or I go crazy.

Mucho Gracias!

Matt
capnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 15:08   #2

Re: Bareboat Charter Near Cancun?

Ha! I'm dealing with exactly the same scenario with my wife. What did you end up doing? Find any good charters?
SeaWarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 16:43   #3

Well, I gave in and spent a week in a house in Akumal. Wasn't the worst week ever but I would have much preferred to be on a boat somewhere. It was a big house with a chef but I'm more of a DIY guy so not really my thing. We had a nice week of relaxing, eating good food, seeing Mexico and socializing with our good friends. So long story short, I don't have any additional insight into charters down in Mexico. However, from research I think the Dream Yacht Charters was the main player around LaPaz for bareboat charters. There is a guy on another forum that I session that recently chartered there. If I can remember who it is I'll pass the info on to you.

Matt
capnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:00   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

We've spent a lot of time around Islam mujeres, Cancun,Akumal over the years.
I've never found a bareboat, and I think the reason is that
1. There's really nowhere to go.
2. The locals make money with the Cancun booze cruises to isla.
3. There are no good anchorages in the immediate area other than isla.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 05:33   #5

Anybody ever have any luck? The wife and I will be down in Akumal April 29th through May 7th, looking to do some sailing. Having a hard time finding anything other than crewed day drinking trips.
Death Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 05:59   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Nearest bareboat charter in the region I know of is in Belize. I think for sailing activities in the area you are best to look for a beach cat, kite board, etc. Snorkeling/Diving too of course.

There is good fishing too, both sport fishing offshore and light spinning tackle or fly in the flats.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 06:02   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
We've spent a lot of time around Islam mujeres, Cancun,Akumal over the years.
I've never found a bareboat, and I think the reason is that
1. There's really nowhere to go.
2. The locals make money with the Cancun booze cruises to isla.
3. There are no good anchorages in the immediate area other than isla.
Do those Islam Mujeres have to wear a burkah? 😆
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 06:05   #8

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Do those Islam Mujeres have to wear a burkah? [emoji38]

Once again, auto correct wins, I lose!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:41   #9

I have a 33ft cat in Isla Mujeres that I am open to chartering bare boat or with captain and crew. The sailing around here with this size cat leaves a lot of options since the draft is under 4ft. You can even sail to Holbox which a lot of cats can’t. Contact me if interested but do it soon because I’m considering selling her to take advantage of the boat shortage and demand in the Carib right now.

Instagram - sailaquatic
Wounded wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 10:00   #10

Wounded Wing - is your offer still available? If so, I would be interested - traveling to Cancun area and would like to spend a couple days sailing between June 29th and July 2nd. Even though I am bareboat certified, my pref would be chartered with captain who knows the local waters. let me know!

KuJo
615 838 6023
KuJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 06:31   #11

Boat: Hunter 30

Hello,

I land in Cancun on December 28 and leave on January 4. I would love to do a bareboat charter (with or without captain) exploring the Yucatan Peninsula. My goal would be to stop at Isla Holbox, Isla Contoy, Isla Mujeres, and Cozumel. Please let me know if you know of any bareboat charters, or Wounded Wing, let me know if you are interested. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Hunter
hunter_mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 18:26   #12
Marine Service Provider

Dream yacht charters has a few boats for charter out of Isla Mujeres.
Swimmingbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, cancun, charter