Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2016, 11:27   #1

Boat: In the market for the time being!
Advice on a Pearson 26

I spent most of last week looking at boats in my area. Not a lot to choose from. Wouldn't mind some advice on this. Given the pros/cost, price seems high to me. Was thinking of offering $4.5k:

https://salem.craigslist.org/boa/5865644411.html

1976 Pearson One Design: What I know about it...

Pros:
  • New bottom paint in 2015 done by a boat yard (didn't replace barrier coat - said it didn't need it)
  • Rudder shaft seems tight (owner assumes it was rebuilt at some point / doesn't know)
  • Mast step rebuilt / replaced with a tabernacle
  • No signs of laminating anywhere, no leaking deck hardware or hairline cracks, blisters etc.
  • No soft spots on deck
  • No lose stanchions or other deck rigging.
  • Trailered and covered 9 months per year.
  • Tandem trailer is great condition (brakes, bearings, electric, jack, tires, keel guide etc.)

Cons:
  • Current owner has never hooked up a battery. Doesn't know if any electrical works or not.
  • Interior has had non-desirable (for me anyway) modifications:
    • Wood sanded and peal and stick contact paper attached.
    • Removed head, replaced with bucket type porta potty
    • Removed sink, table etc, replaced with bench
  • Motor is not currently mounted and a couple of pieces of plywood sitting in motor well. Seems odd. Probably should be retro-fit with a new adjustable mount.
  • 9.9 4 stroke Honda motor is old, but does start easy
  • Hanked on jib and main are in OK shape, but may requiring replacing soon.
  • Missing stainless downhall pulley
  • Missing v-birth foam
  • Missing main sail cover (currently using a make-shift/tarp)
  • No spinnaker or pole
maplemale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 13:04   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Advice on a Pearson 26

Looks interesting and the fact that it is sat on a trailer means you might be able to take it home to work on over the winter if you have space which is a bonus. The fact it is water tight and dry is also a bonus. Its a cheap boat so if you bought it and just sorted out the basics it would give you a cheap way of going sailing.

E bay and Craigslist are your friend for spares here, take your time and you find what your looking for.

BTW great time of year to buy, leave it until the Spring and all the tyre kickers will be out buying stuff. Try the offer now before Christmas if you can.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 13:15   #3

Compared to say, a C&C 28, or a Catalina 27, how is it going to handle? And, am I crazy to think I could take it out of the bay on nice days for some ocean sailing?

I'm told they have terrible weather helm. Which I don't really consider an issue since it's more of a fun day cruiser thing. Also, it's a fairly heavy boat. Seems like wife and kids will have more fun with it than say a J24?
Old 05-12-2016, 13:26   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Can't comment on the sailing ability as I am in the UK and haven't sailed a Person 26. However, a J24 is a completely different animal with a deep keel which causes all sorts of problems in shallow waters if that is your thing.

If sailing with the wifey and kids then a porta potty is probably a better option than a toilet and holding tanks. Are you sailing this on the great lakes and do they have rules about pumping out heads? if so taking a porta potty ashore to empty will be a much better option.

Don't worry about a Spinnaker, but if you can find a second hand crusing chute (Gennaker in the USA) will be much easier and fun to play with.

Pete

Pete
Old 05-12-2016, 13:27   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yes, as much as I love J24s, this will be more fun for a family. Is it in fresh water? That's a plus. Trailer? That is a big plus. Handling I believe is good, I haven't sailed one but I'd be a little skeptical of "terrible weather helm." It is probably susceptible to overloading/loaded heavily too far aft, and/or if rig is not tuned properly, trim etc. that can affect helm. A genoa and one reef in main and I bet she's fine in 10-15 knots. She's not a super stout boat but I think she could definitely handle nice days in the ocean.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 13:50   #6

Boat: Hylas 49

The 26 is slow, heavy and does not point well. That one is overpriced. You can buy a Pearson 30 for $5,000
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 14:03   #7

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I cruised Puget Sound on the earlier version of this boat. We did fine on it.

Could go cruising with some mods to the boat.

Hondas are really good. Do basic maintenance and it might last you another 10yr. 9.9hp is overkill for the boat so run at reduced throttle. Will help longevity and fuel economy.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 14:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
The 26 is slow, heavy and does not point well. That one is overpriced. You can buy a Pearson 30 for $5,000

I think you've got lower prices across the entire eastern seaboard than we do on the West Coast.

But, the only Pearson 30s I've found near $5k seem to need about $5k in work or more. And the ones that don't are upwards of $10k - $15k. At least, that's all i've found. That said... I agree it seems a little overpriced. Figured I'd offer $4.5k and end up at $5k. Keeping in mind the trailer adds about $1500 in my estimation.
Old 05-12-2016, 14:58   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, best make a phone call then and take a road trip. Do you have a tow bar on the car and can it tow several tonnes, probably 4 at a guess with the trailer.

Pete
Old 05-12-2016, 15:16   #10

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplemale View Post
I think you've got lower prices across the entire eastern seaboard than we do on the West Coast.

But, the only Pearson 30s I've found near $5k seem to need about $5k in work or more. And the ones that don't are upwards of $10k - $15k. At least, that's all i've found. That said... I agree it seems a little overpriced. Figured I'd offer $4.5k and end up at $5k. Keeping in mind the trailer adds about $1500 in my estimation.
In my area a trailer like that in really good shape would be $2K or more, when you can find them.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 17:18   #11

Called and talked for quite a while... haven't seen anything but pictures yet and none of trailer. Doesn't sound too terrible mobile and prefers I just come look. Seems like a nice, honest guy, told me about every negative. We'll see what she looks like up close. Road trip coming up in a week! Towing will be easy for that boat...

I was towing about 12k lbs a few weeks ago and some guy in a cooper mini was trying to beat me off a light from the right lane so he could cut me off. He was peddle to metal and I roasted him so bad... he had this shocked look on his face. Then flipped me the bird later when he caught up as I was turning.

Anyway... the PSD's are towing machines and mine's not stock. I'm a diesel head. I'm going to be the guy living aboard some day who decides to turbo charge and dyno tune his yanmar. lol
Old 05-12-2016, 17:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
In my area a trailer like that in really good shape would be $2K or more, when you can find them.
I might be undervaluing it... Guess I'll see in a week.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:58   #13

Boat: Endeavour 42 CC Katash

My first fixed keel boat was a Pearson 26. Boat made very well. I actually went through the factory in RI. Should have no problem offshore on a mild day. Raised my 2 girls on it then moved on to a P28 then to a P365, so you can see I liked Pearsons. Can't comment on the price though, Ive been away from it for 25 years. Good luck.
pwmullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:18   #14

Boat: Bristol 47.7 1985

A '76 P26 was our first boat('88-'94). Uncle has 424 since mid 90's I think. Solid boats and ours sailed fine on Chesapeake and some coastal with a decent genoa. I would get a mainsail cover, hook up battery and put the outboard on and then do a good cleaning. I would not put money into electrical or head for a while. 6 a bit high. Buyers' market in that range.
evbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:04   #15

Boat: Hunter 26.5 (for now <grin>)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
I would think a trailer would be worth up words of 2.5k alone, assuming it was travelable.. Still all the missing stuff, the mod's or items which may not be working, I think you will be able to do better.. I bought my first 26' class sailboat in March, and took about 3 months to find my boat..

I looked at a lot of boats on CL and other the well known sources.. When I saw one in Kemah Texas (about 250 miles away), I knew it was mine.. The best advice anyone can give you is take your time.. Once you find your boat, you will know it..

flk k
liveaboard60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson