Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2016, 12:46   #1

Boat: 1975 CT-41
Fishing license requirements in Central America

We are cruising down the Pacific Coast of Central America in November/December. Will we be required to have a fishing license for each country if we throw a line in the water?
Sailor Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 08:56   #2

Re: Fishing license requirements in Central America

Where are you cruising from? If I remember correctly, yes, you have to get a Mexico fishing license, but they are relatively inexpensive. ($60 USD / year)

If you are cruising or stopping by San Diego, Oceanside, Dana Point, most of the charter boat fishing places will set you up with a license for Mexico.

Good Luck and safe travels.
dridas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 14:15   #3

Boat: 1975 CT-41

Currently the proud owner of a mexican fishing license in Puerto Vallarta. Looking for feedback for Central America. Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras.
Sailor Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 16:25   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Deb View Post
We are cruising down the Pacific Coast of Central America in November/December. Will we be required to have a fishing license for each country if we throw a line in the water?
I don't know the answer to your question but caution you that the rules may be even more restrictive than you may think. In Mexico, for example (and I see below that you have Mexican licenses, so I offer this only as an example), even if you don't actually wet a line, if you have any fishing tackle on board (which apparently means so much as a fishing hook), everyone on board is required to have a license. That at least used to include new born babies.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Mexico's neighbors are equally restrictive -- there seems to be some competition / pride (in not being taken advantage of by gringos fishing for free) in that regard.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 17:40   #5

Boat: 42 Krogen #61

I worried about the same thing when we came down through. We are on the Caribbean side though. We have not had a license yet, never asked for one etc.....It took me a while to be OK with it, but all the cruisers here don't worry at all. Offshore, no one stops you, even spearfishing, I have never seen a law enforcement boat. Only worry might be showing up with fresh fish in reffer during customs/agriculture inspection. They tend to like USDA packaging. Not saying it is legal or right....just my experience overcoming the same worries. Currently in Panama

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sea Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Central America, fish, fishing, license, men