Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2017, 14:01   #1

Island Yacht Charters

I chartered with Island Yacht Charters this summer and in doing my research, found very few reviews of IYC that weren't on their Web site. I thought it might be useful to somebody if there was a recent review, so here is one.

To start with, I've chartered 3 times now and also taken a 3 day class in a J120. That's the extent of my bigger boat experience. Spent a summer sailing a 29 ft and dabbled in dinghies, and that's it, so I'm no sailing expert. Read this review knowing that.

I wanted to get experience with different types of boats and Island Yacht Charters out of Red Hook charters Island Packets. We chartered over Memorial Day and because they are closed on Memorial Day, I picked up the boat, an IP440, the day after. My wife and I and my two teen sons had the boat for 9 days. The norm is 10 days (or 7), but they were closed the first day I was there. They chartered the boat for the same per day price as their standard 10 day charter. IYC was prompt and clear in their communications up front and had the boat ready when we got there. There is a pretty good grocery store literally across the street, where we provisioned. Red Hook is USVI and the prices at the grocery store were very reasonable. IYC provided us a cart to walk across the street with. The grocery store will deliver to the boat if you choose, but we didn't.

The pre charter briefing was extremely thorough. It took well over an hour. There was about 15 minutes spent on looking at charts and the rest of the time was spent on the boat going through systems. I considered it time well spent, but I can imagine some people might be anxious to get going. Like i mentioned, the boat was ready when we got there, so after provisioning and the briefing, we were off.

The boat was an older (2004, I think) IP440 but you couldn't tell it by looking at it. It was very clean and everything appeared in ship shape. Interestingly, it did not have a chart plotter or a GPS. I personally don't think that is particularly essential in the VIs and I think most of their other boats have them. It was equipped with solar panels which were greatly appreciated. The batteries were always charged and I never ran the engine except to move the boat which has not always been my experience. Everything on the boat was functional except the knot meter so that's 2 out of 3 charters with a nonfunctional knot meter. This time, though, a text to Skip brought a response giving the most likely problem and how to fix it. I dove the boat, cleaned off the knot meter rotor, and Wa La, the next day I had an operating knot meter. The rest of the bottom was clean, by the way.

In general, I consider IYC to be an example of what charter outfits should be. There is some obvious pride of ownership going on there that is reflected in the quality of the boat and the overall experience. I would have no issue recommending them for charters. They allow the charterer access to boats that are not your typical charter boat. The boat I had was clean and well maintained, service was excellent, my wife enjoyed herself, and there's not much more than that I needed.
nogawyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 14:11   #2

Boat: Swan 432
Re: Island Yacht Charters

Good review! Regarding the knot meter, did you think of just pulling it up from inside the boat? There is a flap to keep too much water from getting inside.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 14:57   #3

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Skip, his wife, and their team run a really good shop.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 16:58   #4

Was not really looking to mechanic on my vacation. Had it needed that, I probably would have just let it go. A knot meter isn't exactly required. Since I was in the water all the time anyway, I figured I might as well clean it and it worked. Yay!
nogawyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:16   #5

Appreciate the review. My wife and I are considering a charter with them next year. This helps make the decision easier.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:59   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, nogawyks.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 23:00   #7

Welcome!
GeneMazur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, yacht