Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2017, 10:03   #1

Boat: Catalina 27
Any advice for Kemah/Galveston area?

I've been dreaming of it for years, and I'm finally starting to actually work towards getting rid of the house and moving onto a sailboat. After doing a bit of reading, it looks like Texas is going to be the best bang for my buck as far as slip fees go (and I have to be at a dock, weekdays, 9-5 until I can figure out a different income situation); I'm thinking Kemah looks like a pretty decent place to spend a year or two.

The only thing I'm really concerned about right now is what the sailing opportunities are for that area. Where do people go when they go sailing, or is it just out into the ocean and back? I really wanted to shoot for the south FL area because of the 'quick' back and forth from the Bahamas, but I don't know enough about the gulf to know what might be there worth doing.

Next weekend I'm taking a trip down to Kemah for to treat with the 'natives' and get a feel for the place; my buddy and I are staying on a boat in Legend Point Marina. Can anyone recommend good marinas in the area that are worth trying to see while I'm down there? Any to avoid? Anything else in general? I'm all ears.

edit: Also, advice on other areas besides Texas that I should look into is welcome.
barefootbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 10:39   #2

Re: Any advice for Kemah/Galveston area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootbandit View Post
I've been dreaming of it for years, and I'm finally starting to actually work towards getting rid of the house and moving onto a sailboat. After doing a bit of reading, it looks like Texas is going to be the best bang for my buck as far as slip fees go (and I have to be at a dock, weekdays, 9-5 until I can figure out a different income situation); I'm thinking Kemah looks like a pretty decent place to spend a year or two.

The only thing I'm really concerned about right now is what the sailing opportunities are for that area. Where do people go when they go sailing, or is it just out into the ocean and back? I really wanted to shoot for the south FL area because of the 'quick' back and forth from the Bahamas, but I don't know enough about the gulf to know what might be there worth doing.

Next weekend I'm taking a trip down to Kemah for to treat with the 'natives' and get a feel for the place; my buddy and I are staying on a boat in Legend Point Marina. Can anyone recommend good marinas in the area that are worth trying to see while I'm down there? Any to avoid? Anything else in general? I'm all ears.

edit: Also, advice on other areas besides Texas that I should look into is welcome.
Try Kent Little in Kemah. He is a yacht broker there.

Meet Our Staff – Little Yacht Sales
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 15:26   #3

I'm actually moving into Legend Point this week. The area is great. Legend Point is best price when compared with what it offers and West Marine is directly across he street. Watergate is super pricey and Starship is no longer sailboat friendly as far as slips are concerned.
Schoolboy0316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 16:09   #4

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Was in Waterford Harbor Marina for years. Good place. Your sailing venue is Galveston bay.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 18:05   #5
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

The Home Port on my transom is Kemah, Texas. Currently in Brunswick, Georgia. Not much to offer in Texas but a muddy, shallow, Galveston Bay. Too many oil rigs for offshore sailing (to me). Floriduh is ok.....better than Texas, but has drawbacks too, depending on where you are in that state. Georgia offers some nicer options, with reasonable hurricane protection if you choose the right marina. Take a look. You can sail the east coast without worries of hitting an oil rig. Near enough to the Bahamas or the Chesapeake. Go north or south. Your choice. My 2 cents from a Texan.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kemah, marinas, texas