Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2017, 11:52   #1

Boat: Amel 54
Clearing customs/immigration

Simple question, but having a hard time getting clear answers.
As a US citizen with a USCG documented boat, when leaving the US for Bahamas or another country, what needs to be done regarding US customs and immigration prior to leaving? Do you just sail off, or do you have to notify anyone? I understand the clearing in process for the new destination, but what notifications are done prior to leaving US waters?
dugsmith98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 12:06   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: Clearing customs/immigration

Nothing for Bahamas and most countries but if going to Mexico you need a 'zarpe' which the US does not issue routinely.

You need form 1300 from the US Customs if you enter Mexico.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 12:21   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
Nothing for Bahamas and most countries but if going to Mexico you need a 'zarpe' which the US does not issue routinely.
This is exactly my understanding. There are some countries in addition to Mexico that require a zarpe but none close by as far as I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
You need form 1300 from the US Customs if you enter Mexico.
Didn't know the form number. Thanks for posting that.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 12:23   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Just wanting to add that our zarpe when we cleared out of Mexico, was a handsome, multi-stamped work of art.

Ann
Old 28-01-2017, 13:07   #5

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

While it is not required to travel to and return from the Bahamas lots of folks complete the paperwork to obtain what is called the local boaters option. Once you do this instead of traveling in person to a customs office you can simply phone it in once you return to the US. You do have to go to a customs office to get the LBO card, but you can do this before hand at a time of your choosing. If you don't enroll in the program you have to report to a customs office on your return (think it is within 24 hours which can result in time pressure).
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 13:40   #6

Boat: Boatless

The zarpe for Mexico is madatory. There is a report in the Mexican section of Noonsite.com — of the Mexicans impounding a boat in Isla Mujeres because of incomplete paper work.

We were 30 miles away in Puerto Morales when the confiscation occurred and the local customs agent told me that all would have been fine if the boat owners had paid him $150 to do the paperwork. He showed me a letter he used to get around the need for a Zarpe.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 14:21   #7

If your US registered boat is 30ft or over, you must display a "decal" when you clear back into the US. It costs $27.50/year. You order it online and the decal is sent to you in about 10 days by US Mail. So in most cases, you want to get it before leaving.

Note that this is different than the optional "local boater" SVRS mentioned above. The decal is required.

https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov/main/#

If you also register for the the SVRS system, will have to fill in your decal number while preparing the online float plan.

You used to be able to buy the decal when you cleared in at the customs office. But I don't know if that option is still available. And this means going in person to the office.

The SVRS system (with the decal if over 30ft), works really well clearing back into the US (I've only used it clearing into Florida) You file a SVRS "float plan" online at your last stop before coming back to the US and then just call the CG on a cell phone when in cell phone range of the US.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 00:15   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We cleared out a long time ago and I think we somehow got a zarpe to Mexico but I do not remember how. But once out as you move from country to country the next country may want to see your exit documents or they might not - depends.

Carlf was right on the registration and Tom on the local boaters option. We had been out of the US for a couple of years and sailed into the USVI and went in to clear in and first got an ear full for not calling first. Then we got ripped for not having or using our local boaters option card that we had but when we got it it was for Fla only and on trial and we did not know it went system wide. That was not excuse and we got ripped again for not knowing. Then we got ripped for not having a current registration and paid the 27.50 for it.
Over all it was the worse experience we have had with any country when checking in and we have been to maybe 40.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 07:14   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

Most countries around the world require a Zarpe or something similar issued by the country you have just left. It does no harm to get one even if you are not going to need it on arrival at your destination.

We left St Maartins for Cuba and where told by the Dutch officials that a Zarpe or stamp by the customs was not required, we insisted and did have to show it on entering Cuba, It could have been a rough 1200 mile sail up wind and current if we had been refused entry and told to go back and get one
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 07:28   #10

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
If your US registered boat is 30ft or over, you must display a "decal" when you clear back into the US. It costs $27.50/year. You order it online and the decal is sent to you in about 10 days by US Mail. So in most cases, you want to get it before leaving.

Note that this is different than the optional "local boater" SVRS mentioned above. The decal is required.

https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov/main/#

If you also register for the the SVRS system, will have to fill in your decal number while preparing the online float plan.

The SVRS system (with the decal if over 30ft), works really well clearing back into the US (I've only used it clearing into Florida) You file a SVRS "float plan" online at your last stop before coming back to the US and then just call the CG on a cell phone when in cell phone range of the US.
We did SVRS as well last year, and clearing back into Florida was just a phone call to customs and answering questions. The alternative without SVRS leaves a high probability of having to sail to a US Customs port of call for inspection and clearing in. Which may or may not be in the direction you are ultimately heading.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 08:01   #11

I signed up for the Local Boaters Option 3 years ago, and I have purchased the decal online every year.

My US passport expired last year and because my new passport has a different number, when I returned from the Bahamas a couple of weeks ago and called to clear in, I was told I had to appear at a Customs office within 24 hours to have my records updated.

I arrived in Riviera Beach, FL, on a Saturday, and the nearby Customs office was closed on weekends. I had to go to the office on the private aircraft side of PBI airport instead.

Also, when clearing in via telephone, you are given an arrival number. Be sure to write that down and keep it with your records, just in case.

I'm not a fan of filing a float plan before I leave the US. I do make friends and family aware of my plans, but not Big Brother. However, I didn't consider the idea of filing one just before I return. That might smooth the way with the bureaucracy.
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 12:17   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Australian Customs - now called Australian Border Force - require notification at least 4 days in advance of arrival. We usually do this via e-mail with a tentative day of arrival, which can be modified when one is closer. We usually plan our arrivals for between 0800 and 1530 Mon thru Fri to avoid the overtime fees on weekends that one pays to the Quarantine Service.

Usually what you need to do is check online for the requirements of each country you visit, well before you leave where you are, so that you know in advance what you need to do to be welcome.

Ann
Old 29-01-2017, 12:31   #13
RPZ

Dug,

If you intend carrying any firearms onboard you need to register them with U.S. Customs first. Otherwise they will be subject to importation rules.
RPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 17:45   #14

Boat: Amel 54

Thanks for all the great insight! I was aware of the exit stamp from other countries, just thought it strange that no notifications were mandated for exiting the US. Thanks for the clarifications.
dugsmith98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 10:45   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I just used SVRS yesterday and when I called in en route into FL, I was told I needed to wait to call until docked, not just in US waters.

But beyond that, it worked very well.
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customs