Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2016, 11:17   #1

PNW Novice looking for experience

I am 35 years old male looking to get some experience on sailboats prior to buying my own. I have a very flexible schedule but cannot commit to trips longer than overnight unless you can afford to compensate me for the cost of having my animals cared for while I'm away. I will be able to make longer trips this summer. My experience with sailing consists of day sailing around the San Juan islands on a 40+ foot cutter as a child. I have also been on other boats for longer periods since then and have never been seasick. I am a hard worker who is more than willing to follow directions and learn.

I am only available for about 20 hours a week right now to sail but am willing to commit to being part of a race team or to help train with a crew before heading out for an extended voyage later this year. I'm open to any opportunities to get experience as long as they are within a few hours drive of Olympia, WA. I am a non smoker and non drinker but don't mind being around people who smoke or drink.
Old 10-03-2016, 16:43   #2

Boat: 19' Lightning
Re: PNW Novice looking for experience

If you want to sail offshore, you'll need to be quite a bit more flexible. You know the old saying "my wife said it was her or the boat, sure am going to miss her". You need to chose between your animals and sailing. Expecting that some skippah is going to pay for your shoreside animal care to put up with your poor excuse for sailing skills is the height of chutspah.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 10-03-2016, 18:26   #3

Well thanks for the warm welcome robmo. I wasn't asking a skipper to pay for anything I was just trying to be clear about my restrictions until summer. I will simply edit that portion of my post since it offends you so much. I apologize that I wasn't clear in my post but I will be available for longer voyagess starting around May when my fiance will be home to care for our animals. I believe with a good woman by my side I can have my cake and eat it too. So my animals will stay and I will sail either by myself or learning from someone else but definitely not with you but thanks for the advice.
Old 10-03-2016, 20:28   #4

Boat: 19' Lightning

You can bet youah ass you'll nevah sail with me buddy, anyone who sails and doesn't drink can't be trusted.
Old 10-03-2016, 21:17   #5

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

SV Finster don't be put off by any rude comments. Hopefully you'll find someone looking for crew who can deal with you schedule. And welcome to sailing.

S/V B'Shert
Old 11-03-2016, 12:19   #6

Thanks Tayana42 I appreciate the welcome

I should also mention that once my fiance comes home I will be available to travel anywhere on the west coast and would be open to travel much farther for the right opportunity.

Tags
enc, novice