Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2015, 15:01   #1

Location: wherever the boat is -- Jacksonville FL for hurricane season
Boat: Pearson 365 ketch sailboat, 36.5'
2015 New Zealand food restrictions?

We're provisioning for between now and New Zealand arrival in November.

I've reviewed their site (here's one -- there are several, with similar content) for what to declare. While I've heard consistently anything dairy or meat unless clearly NZ in origin will be confiscated, what I really need to know is more about what is confiscated* regarding
  • herbs & spices
  • whole grains (ex oatmeal and muesli cereals)
  • seeds (such as sesame and chia)
  • powdered eggs from the US in sealed packages
  • powdered gluten-free gravy mix (from US)

*figure it's one thing to declare, but not everything properly declared will be confiscated.

FYI - We are planning on arriving in Opua -- we have heard what is and isn't an issue varies by Port sometimes.

Also, I just sent an email to one of the NZ site for more info asking the same questions. If/when I get an answer I will share it here.

Cheers & thanks in advance for your info.
Old 22-08-2015, 15:14   #2

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: 2015 New Zealand food restrictions?

Based on my experience last year everything on that list except the eggs should be OK and the eggs are a ? as I didn't have any.

Anything bought in Polynesia was OK as was the bit of Chilean I had left. That includes canned meat and veg.

The only things they said would go ( we didn't have any ) were fresh meat fruit or veg. Also honey even if unopened. ... and home canned stuff.. especially moose......

Just work on arriving with minimums..... you can buy anything you want in NZ.
Old 22-08-2015, 15:26   #3

The documents on that site seem to be more aimed at people who get of a plane or a ship and must declare what they are bringing in and the disposal bins are in the air/ship terminal.

I would expect that the procedure is different for visiting yachts and Inwould expect that quarantine will come on board and go through your cupboards and pick out what needs to be destroyed.

Just select yes to each of these on your entry card

Are you bringing into New Zealand:
• Any food: cooked, uncooked, fresh, preserved, packaged or dried? Yes No
Animals or animal products: including meat, dairy products, fish, honey,
bee products, eggs, feathers, shells, raw wool, skins, bones or insects? Yes No
• Plants or plant products: fruit, flowers, seeds, bulbs, wood, bark,
leaves, nuts, vegetables, parts of plants, fungi, cane, bamboo or
straw, including for religious offerings or medicinal use?

One thing I've learnt from watching the Australian TV program "Border Security" is if you are not sure, declare it.

I'm betting that your powdered eggs will have to go.
Old 22-08-2015, 19:29   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
The documents on that site seem to be more aimed at people who get of a plane or a ship and must declare what they are bringing in and the disposal bins are in the air/ship terminal.

I would expect that the procedure is different for visiting yachts and Inwould expect that quarantine will come on board and go through your cupboards and pick out what needs to be destroyed.

Just select yes to each of these on your entry card

Are you bringing into New Zealand:
• Any food: cooked, uncooked, fresh, preserved, packaged or dried? Yes No
Animals or animal products: including meat, dairy products, fish, honey,
bee products, eggs, feathers, shells, raw wool, skins, bones or insects? Yes No
• Plants or plant products: fruit, flowers, seeds, bulbs, wood, bark,
leaves, nuts, vegetables, parts of plants, fungi, cane, bamboo or
straw, including for religious offerings or medicinal use?

One thing I've learnt from watching the Australian TV program "Border Security" is if you are not sure, declare it.

I'm betting that your powdered eggs will have to go.
It is my understanding that is seeds and nuts that you can go out and plant...

Ready to eat.. eg salted peanuts ...are OK... had friends arrive via air the other day with almonds... declared and allowed to keep.
Old 22-08-2015, 20:13   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

All problematic foods are raw. No processed foods (i.e., cooked) are problematic.
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 20:26   #6

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

You should arrive in NZ with the minimum.
no meat, fruit or vegetables, no honey, no eggs..
when we came in last year milk was OK...they change the rules often...it may nit be OK now.
Some packaged meat products from some countries are OK...some not...
Best bet is don't bring in anything you think might be confiscated.
If you're not sure, declare it....if you don't and they find it you face big fines
You can buy almost anything in NZ.
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 09:04   #7

NZ has no foot and mouth, or rabies and of course they want to keep it that way, so they don't like dopes who arrive at the border who have bought that lovely but infected Brie from noumea. All that's neede is a blue arsed fly to have a nibble

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
wugwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 09:09   #8

And bobs ya uncle.

So NZ MAF is well trained to accept anything that may pose a threat, thus DECLARE anything at the border. If it's ok they won't take it off you but if they find something that's not declared its an on the spot fine.

I would not worry about some herbs and spices, some seeds of oatmeal. Chuck em overboard before you get past the leads in Opua.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
wugwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 09:33   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Based on my experience last year everything on that list except the eggs should be OK and the eggs are a ? as I didn't have any.

Anything bought in Polynesia was OK as was the bit of Chilean I had left. That includes canned meat and veg.

The only things they said would go ( we didn't have any ) were fresh meat fruit or veg. Also honey even if unopened. ... and home canned stuff.. especially moose......

Just work on arriving with minimums..... you can buy anything you want in NZ.
What???

NO Moose? Seriously, that is a sacrilege. We can some when ever we get one. And I know they don't have moose in NZ, so what's the issue? The fact that it is meat?

I really don't get the honey thing... it is the one food that never spoils. But then, I don't make the rules
Old 23-08-2015, 10:59   #10

Boat: One Off Steel 12m Sloop

I really don't get the honey thing... it is the one food that never spoils. But then, I don't make the rules[/QUOTE]

I have used honey for wound treatment etc. but you should be aware it can be a source of botulism
Botulism - NHS Choices
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botulism
rodrinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 11:00   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalleyWenchTale View Post
We're provisioning for between now and New Zealand arrival in November.

I've reviewed their site (here's one -- there are several, with similar content) for what to declare. While I've heard consistently anything dairy or meat unless clearly NZ in origin will be confiscated, what I really need to know is more about what is confiscated* regarding
  • herbs & spices
  • whole grains (ex oatmeal and muesli cereals)
  • seeds (such as sesame and chia)
  • powdered eggs from the US in sealed packages
  • powdered gluten-free gravy mix (from US)

*figure it's one thing to declare, but not everything properly declared will be confiscated.

FYI - We are planning on arriving in Opua -- we have heard what is and isn't an issue varies by Port sometimes.

Also, I just sent an email to one of the NZ site for more info asking the same questions. If/when I get an answer I will share it here.

Cheers & thanks in advance for your info.
I live in NZ and have only entered by air but it's the same regulations at any port. Today I'm in Canada and tomorrow the US. Sept 16 NZ. I've made many many NZ border crossings and I think all those food items will be confiscated but must be declared. I'm not sure about the egg and the gravy mix but quite likely not allowed.

I was once years ago visiting Kialoa (2 I think) when it had just arrived and MAF; Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries emptied out all their meat from the deep freeze and other food was taken away to be destroyed.

Honey will be confiscated if it doesn't have pest free certification as NZ bees could conceivably catch disease from it. I have brought in to NZ factory sealed food such as smoked salmon from Canada otherwise I bring in no food and all must be declared.

The reason is because NZ economy is based on farming and agriculture and NZ is practically pest free being geographically isolated. This enables us to export our produce. It is not just over zealous officialdom. The officers will be very friendly if you don't hide anything.

I understand border entry at Opua is by special appointment as Customs and MAF are based in Whangarei being the closest offices. Overseas shipping regularly visits Whangarei and there is an oil refinery there serviced by tankers.

There are various appointed "Coast Watch" homes and farm houses overlooking the coast and bays that report any unusual foreign looking vessels directly to Customs. That shouldn't worry you as they are mainly concerned with drug smuggling.

I'm sure you will find more specific details on a NZ Govt website. Try googling something like NZ govt.org or more simply NZ ministry of agriculture and fisheries. And NZ Customs. All the food regulations will be there if you look through the layers.

I realise sailing in is different to flying in as you need provisions for the journey but I wouldn't stock up more than you need. Most factory sealed produce should be fine. I guess you are coming from Fiji and both Suva and Nadi have supermarkets.

In the 1990s 4 fruit flies were found in MAF baited traps in an Auckland residential area. This resulted in a Canadian DC 6 water bomber being brought in and a very large residential area was bombed with an insecticide for weeks with the DC6 flying about 150' over the rooftops until extensive trapping found no more. Nobody died or got sick. It was very nostalgic for me watching the low flying D6. They also used choppers and small top dressing planes in difficult places.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 11:18   #12

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
What???

NO Moose? Seriously, that is a sacrilege. We can some when ever we get one. And I know they don't have moose in NZ, so what's the issue? The fact that it is meat?

I really don't get the honey thing... it is the one food that never spoils. But then, I don't make the rules
Bee bacterial diseases such as European Foulbrood and Israeli Acute Paralysis Virus can be carried in honey. NZ doesn’t have either of those diseases and is trying very hard to keep them out.

The person that clears your boat in will also take away all of your rubbish for appropriate disposal.

Moose you say. NZ has seen many idiots release introduced animals into the wild here. It’s a huge list and some species go on and thrive and cause enormous damage and kill off endemic species or habitat. Needless to say moose were one such animal. They were released into Fiordland for hunters to shoot. Fortunately they don’t thrive, but every now and again someone shoots a trophy.
Old 23-08-2015, 11:34   #13
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

IIRC moose are potential carriers of "brain wasting" diseases, the same as deer and cattle. While the scientists can argue over whether one prion will manage to transfer and infect another animal...you can understand why Customs would rather prohibit the whole beast, than try to draw lines in the sand about whether which parts might or might not be safe.

First time I crossed into Canada, we had potatoes and blueberries aboard. One or the other was allowed loose but not bagged, or vice versa. Damfino. But the customs man was quite friendly and reasonable, he just said "Eat them on the boat and don't worry about it." Quote possibly because there just weren't any potato farms around to catch a blight from us.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 11:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrebe View Post
All problematic foods are raw. No processed foods (i.e., cooked) are problematic.
Home processed ie canned or bottled foods are considered problematic in NZ and you will lose them..and the jars that they came in......
Old 23-08-2015, 11:48   #15

I had an interruption but enjoy your stay. Half of the yachts from Auckland descend on the Bay of Islands from Boxing Day for a couple of weeks and anchorages are fairly crowded but OK. The weather can vary from perfect to horrible and sometimes changes quickly.

If you visit Auckland you will find all the marine services and equipment you could ever need especially around Westhaven a couple of km west of the CBD.

In the Bay of Islands Opua marina office ph number that I have with me is +6494027124 from overseas and 094027124 from NZ. I think that's current. You can often rent a spare berth if you get in early and they can give you more accurate info than myself. Be aware of time zone differences if you call. They are probably 9 / 5 and it will be daylight saving from about late Oct.

The annual Coastal Classic ( Oct 25 ish) yacht race record for 120 mm between Auckland and Russell near Opua is from memory 5 hrs 13 mins in trimaran Vodafone. It can be good sailing along that coast.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, New Zealand