Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2015, 10:37   #1

Female Crew Seeking Overseas Adventures

My name is Samantha and I'm a 22 year old looking for an opportunity to have some overseas adventures after I graduate from college in May 2015! I'm open to crewing positions just about anywhere but have a special place in my heart for New Zealand and the South Pacific. Would be willing to pay for my own transportation, cook/contribute to meals and am flexible with boat expenses.

At the age of six, I joined my family in circumnavigating the globe for eight years on our Halberg Rassy 53'ft. After returning to the states for high school and college, I am ready to get back to the cruising lifestyle and welcome any and all opportunities!

I grew up on the water and am passionate about traveling. I am also a hard worker with a good attitude and love trying new things. In addition to my crew experience (docking, anchoring, night watch, long passages etc.), I raced 420's throughout high school, am a certified diver, love to cook, and enjoy a refreshing g&t with good company every once in a while.

Available starting in late May 2015, look forward to hearing from you!

Sam
Old 14-03-2015, 09:27   #2

Boat: Hans Christian, 38 MKII
Re: Female Crew Seeking Overseas Adventures

Hi Samantha,

I'm Justin. Welcome to CF. I read a lot but post very seldom. Probably too busy working on boat projects!

Congrats on finishing school! That's a heck of an accomplishment, that just gets in the way of sailing ... I really envy people who grew up cruising, seems like a really awesome way to grow up, and most cruiser kids I've met have an outstandingly broad view of the world, what it means to live, and an awesome appreciation for the natural world.

A little about me - I'm 28, and love sailing, traveling, adventuring, being in/on/around the sea, and really enjoy being around like-minded people, people who see the world in a different way than the 9-5ers, and are willing to take a stand for a different lifestyle. I went to school at University of HI and work for them now. My biggest goal in life is to make the cruising lifestyle work and travel the world by sail. I have a problem though, I bought a sailboat a couple years ago... I know, what a dumbass... She is a Hans Christian 38 MKII. I've been getting her ready to support the lifestyle I want, but it has taken a lot of time and all of my money plus some. I bought her as a project, in need of much repair and TLC. I'm living/working aboard her in Honolulu while not out working. I work at sea aboard oceanographic research vessels when I'm broke again.

I've sailed on a tall-ship, made a passage from HI to the Marshalls as crew (double handed), and spent over 1000 days at sea for work. I won't claim to be an expert, but I am competent and want to learn and work as a team to make this lifestyle a reality.

I am really pulling to make a passage this summer. Destination unknown. Timing, uncertain but its looking like May-Augustish. I'm on some final stages of preparation to have her ready, but there is no guarantee. I'm planning some more trips around the Hawaiian Islands to build confidence in the recent upgrades. If all goes well, off we go. I'm really thinking either the Marquesas, Tahiti, Line Islands, or even heading up to Alaska and doing the inside passage, then find somewhere safe to leave her for a few months while I make some more money.

I don't currently have any crew confirmed for obvious reasons, but would be very interested to have you around for the summer if you are in need a boat fix and can help out! There is plenty of room aboard and separate bunk you could call yours for a while...

Let me know if this sounds interesting to you.

Justin
Old 21-03-2015, 16:17   #3

HI Sam

Im busy arranging a delivery from the beautiful Seychelles Islands to Australia with a few stops inbetween and need a couple of crew . Will be onboard a 47 foot Robertson and Cainne Leopard power cat so be very comfortable with your own double cabin and heads. Skipper very experienced with nearly 200000nm . All onboard expenses will be covered and can pay for the flight from South Africa to Seychelles. Timing looks good as delivery pick up about the 1st June. Trip will be 6000nm.
Let me know if you interested
Wesley
Old 23-04-2015, 17:44   #4

Hello Sam,
my name is Olivier, I am french and sailing alone with my son5 years old heading to New Caledonia but with a long stop very likely to New Caledonia. I am considering taking onboard a native speaking english in order to practice my english, female preferably as we are already two male onboard, someone ready to give little hand, who likes children, and can pay for her cost of living onboard, and is not smoking preferably. Reading through your post I thought there might a fit here.

I am planning to leave Tahiti (French Polynesia) beginning of June and sail via Fidji (15 days stay planned), Vanuatu 15 days stay planned) and finally go to New Caledonia very likely to leave the boat and fly to Australia where I am willing to settle (or NZ possibly). My threshold is to arrive in New Caledonia latest mid of August stop there to escape the winter bad weather more south
as my email is quite short notice and I have not even made my mind 100%, I am giving you the address of our blog where you can see pictures of us two (though written in french).
if you are possibly interested can I please ask you to send a few pictures of you and your comments about my plan
blog: Il était une fois ...
please answer me at: martino_fr@yahoo.fr
greetings
Olivier
Old 08-05-2015, 11:03   #5

Sam, I am a semi retired RN. Am leaving SW Fl in a few days going to dry Tortuga then on to Cuba after that I am uncertain. I am not too concerned as to where I go as to whom I go with. If interested email to: robertmshannon@yahoo.com

soonest

thanks

bob
Old 12-05-2015, 21:24   #6

Boat: Van de Stadt 44 #393 Aluminium

We are a couple looking for crew to join us immediately. Started out in Martinique, south to Saint Lucia and them north to Dominica, Terre de Haute, Montserrat, Sint Maarten, BVI, Culebrita, Culebra and now in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Final destination is Boston, but looking for crew to help out specially on passages. Position is unpaid but boat expenses are on us.

Best

Gus and Nati
Old 12-05-2015, 22:16   #7

pirate Re: Female Crew Seeking Overseas Adventures

Thanks for all of your responses, I've tried to get back to most everyone if I felt like it may be a good fit! As of now, I am three days away from graduation and still seeking a crew position. I am very down to earth and easy to get along with however I would be most comfortable joining a boat with at least two other people and ideally a woman on board but that is not necessarily a deal breaker if I feel comfortable with the other crew. Please don't hesitate to private message me or reply to this forum with any questions or opportunities, cheers!
Old 12-05-2015, 23:53   #8

Boat: Pearson Wanderer 30

Where are you located?
Old 13-05-2015, 01:29   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazer View Post
Where are you located?
I am graduating from a college in the south but will be heading back to South Carolina in the next few weeks. This being said, I am willing to fly to another location to meet a boat if it seems like a good match!
Old 21-05-2015, 01:01   #10

If you're still looking, I'm a young, adventurous, retired, engineer about to leave from Florida and cruise a well equipped trimaran. Destination: everywhere beautiful, fun or interesting.
Old 23-05-2015, 12:05   #11

I'm not sure if you're getting my reply
Old 26-05-2015, 18:23   #12

Boat: Van de Stadt 44 #393 Aluminium

Hi Sam, did you graduated? Hope so.

Now in Nassau, Havana next, Florida after and probably a long offshore passage to NY on the Gulfstream.

Any thoughts?

Best

Gus and Nati
Old 29-05-2015, 13:43   #13

Thanks to everyone who has reached out to me-- I have found a position aboard a trimaran heading south from Florida in a few weeks time! Would love any insight on packing, provisioning, safe routes out of the way of hurricane season or cruising in general (especially from other women).

Cheers!

Sam
Old 30-05-2015, 20:10   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Samantha, there are other CF threads already extant that have heaps of input from females about where you are planning to go. Use the CF Google Search function, and you should be able to find them.

You do understand Hurricane season in that region is June through the end of November?

Ann
Old 30-05-2015, 20:24   #15

"peak period from early August through the end of October"

Tags
chef, cook, crew, crew available, Female