Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 23:45   #1

Boat: William Garden 28’ Gaffer
Where to sell our boat on the west coast USA?

We are currently in Mexico, and will moving back onto land in the PNW. Where along the coast would be best to sell the boat?

The boat is a 1982 Wauquiez Amphitrite, an ocean going 43' ketch. On the one hand it would be nice to have the boat in the PNW so we could care for it during the selling process. It would also be easier to prep for sale after we have moved ashore.

Selling in San Diego or San Francisco would mean we wouldn't have to beat up the coast for a month or two, and we would get home faster, and back to work making money sooner. San Diego in particular seems like more of a year round market, weather wise.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
ScottMeilicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:46   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Where to sell our boat on the west coast USA?

Have you given brokers a call to ask this and perhaps find one who's actively selling these types of boats? I flew to Seattle to look at boats and eventually bought mine in San Diego. You might want to find the place that has a broker that has other Wauquiez for sale because people might also be more inclined to travel if there's more than one to look at.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:56   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

Not sure what the sales tax situation in SanFran is but should be a consideration. Washington would open up the Canadian market maybe not as much with the weaker dollar, however there seem to be better deals in the US vs Canada enough to cross boarder shop weak dollar and all.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:34   #4

We have spoken to two brokers, they think their home markets are best. The Seattle broker sells a lot of Wauquiez boats, we bought ours from him, so that is a plus for Seattle.

Thanks for the tax thought, it had not occurred to me so we will have to look into it.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:38   #5

Boat: Panda 38 & Pacific Seacraft Orion, that's two too many ;)

I'd recommend listing it on Cruisersforum with good photos a video and a great specification listing.

Best of luck on the sale

Ross
Old 02-04-2017, 11:17   #6

Boat: PDQ 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMeilicke View Post
We have spoken to two brokers, they think their home markets are best. The Seattle broker sells a lot of Wauquiez boats, we bought ours from him, so that is a plus for Seattle.

Thanks for the tax thought, it had not occurred to me so we will have to look into it.
If you sell it in California, the new owner will either have to pay use tax, (7.75% in San Diego and 8.5% in San Francisco), or buy it off shore and immediately sail it out of California waters.

However, if someone is looking for a boat to use in California, they know that they are going to have to pay the use tax.
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:18   #7

Is use tax different than the sales tax? I paid 9.5% sales tax in WA.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:23   #8

Boat: PDQ 36

Quote:
Is use tax different than the sales tax? I paid 9.5% sales tax in WA.
Use tax and sales tax are basically the same thing, for some reason in California, they call it use tax. A tax for using the boat in California, rather than calling it a sales tax. Perhaps, it's so one can do the offshore thing and not pay the tax if the boat isn't staying in California??
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:37   #9

You may be able to sell with higher price in WA than CA.
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_757 View Post
You may be able to sell with higher price in WA than CA.

We think that too because of the fresh water rinse we always have during the winter and mild winds putting less stress on the rig.

But with yachtworld, folks are pretty willing to travel to look at boats, especially when airfare on the west coast is inexpensive. So I'm not so sure this is true.

Why do you think we may get more?
Old 02-04-2017, 11:44   #11

Quote:
We think that too because of the fresh water rinse we always have during the winter and mild winds putting less stress on the rig.

But with yachtworld, folks are pretty willing to travel to look at boats, especially when airfare on the west coast is inexpensive. So I'm not so sure this is true.

Why do you think we may get more?

Looking at the prices of the boat in PNW are gradually increased in last couple of years. That's I feel.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:01   #12

Boat: Seaward 25

I think there is a lot to be said for having a boat near by during the process. Before buying, we looked at a lot of boats on the west coast. Prices were generally cheaper in Southern Cal but the difference was not enough to overcome the cost of getting the boat to the PNW and adding heat and radar which most PNW boats already had.

That aside, we looked at more than a few that were just not ready to show. Many of the brokers had boats scattered out over several marinas and no effort was made to spruce them up before we came aboard. Any good salesman, in any business, will tell you that the first impression is the most important. If the boat is nearby, not only can you use it but you can make sure the broker or yourself are keeping the boat ready to show.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:05   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonbat View Post
I think there is a lot to be said for having a boat near by during the process. Before buying, we looked at a lot of boats on the west coast. Prices were generally cheaper in Southern Cal but the difference was not enough to overcome the cost of getting the boat to the PNW and adding heat and radar which most PNW boats already had.

That aside, we looked at more than a few that were just not ready to show. Many of the brokers had boats scattered out over several marinas and no effort was made to spruce them up before we came aboard. Any good salesman, in any business, will tell you that the first impression is the most important. If the boat is nearby, not only can you use it but you can make sure the broker or yourself are keeping the boat ready to show.

I understand,
When I was looking for the boat I felt like PNW ones were higher priced than other area even equipped same.
So the reason why I got that impression. I did not see them all so I could not say exact condition.
In this case,
I would say San Diego is the good place. There are good brokers and they are very active.
Old 02-04-2017, 13:29   #14

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Where is the boat located in Mexico? There is a very good boat brokerage on the Mexico west coast named Mazatlan Marine. Locations in Mazatlan, San Carlos and La Paz. They sell a lot of cruising boats. I have purchased two boats and sold one thru them. They are on Yacht World and also have their own website. Lots of "no return" Ha Ha boats are sold by them. Might save you the hassle of bashing back and the wear and tear. (Google Mazatlan Marine and also San Carlos Yachts/La Paz yachts for all their locations and inventory)

Good luck and cheers!
SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 13:43   #15

Thanks Sailfish, I know right where they are. Long term moorage is inexpensive, and hey you never know, maybe we would come back for a season if she doesn't sell.

Tags
boat, west coast