Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2019, 19:34   #1

Waterproof (submersible) connector for bilge level switch

Any recommendations on connectors that are completely waterproof? They would be potentially sitting in bilge water connecting 3 conductor #16 cable (8.85mm OD) to bilge switches. I can make waterproof permanent connections, but looking to make the disconnectable.

Thanks,

Allan.
ayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 19:40   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Waterproof (submersible) connector for bilge level switch

Crimp wiring in long enough that any joins or connectors are rarely actually submerged, never is better of course.

See Mainesail's guides on properly crimping adhesive-filled heatshrink terminations.

TE/AMP Deutsch for connectors if really needed
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 19:52   #3

Boat: Nordic 44

Go to Allied Electronics and search on Bulgin waterproof connectors. They are very good. I have one in my anchor locker that gets submerged regularly and it has never leaked. It is an industrial connector and far better than you can get in a marine store.

One caveat. Shop carefully - the parts must be purchased separately - the cable boot, the connector itself and the waterproof screw down cap.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 20:15   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
... search on Bulgin waterproof connectors. They are very good. ... It is an industrial connector and far better than you can get in a marine store.
I had come across Bulgin in my searching, they looked good, but you never know with marketing these days Great to hear a personal recommendation for them.

Thanks,

Allan.
ayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 09:44   #5

Boat: Grand Banks 36' Motor Yacht

After learning the hard way I rewired to use tinned copper and also tinned the ends of the wire when I cut it (all you need to do is solder the wire ends). The recommended water proof connectors work well. I add some conductive grease to the connection and shrink wrap it as well......... In one case I ran the connectors in a small section of PVC pipe. You put the conductor through an end cap, then put on the connector, (leave extra wire) make the connection, in the PVC pipe and put the cap on with Teflon tape to get a water tight seal. I used hot glue to seal the wire to the pipe caps. That ended my corrosion issues in the bilge. Maybe a bit over the top, but it worked for me.
hernandobeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 18:07   #6

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

The best is using a kit meant for submersible well pumps. My last one has been down my well for over 20 years. If it fails the pump will die.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...K400/205617995
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 21:43   #7
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayates View Post
Any recommendations on connectors that are completely waterproof? They would be potentially sitting in bilge water connecting 3 conductor #16 cable (8.85mm OD) to bilge switches. I can make waterproof permanent connections, but looking to make the disconnectable.

Thanks,

Allan.
I route the supplied wires as high as possible out of the bilge and make connections ring terminals, coated in liquid electrical tape and covered with heat shrink, on barrier strips in a waterproof junction box.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 01:16   #8
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
I route the supplied wires as high as possible out of the bilge and make connections ring terminals, coated in liquid electrical tape and covered with heat shrink, on barrier strips in a waterproof junction box.
This +1

Way better than waterproof disconnect in the bilge.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:37   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Exactly!! If your wiring isn't able to go high enough, why not make the connections in the bilge permanent and the disconnects above the water line where they remain dry.
Crocboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, water