Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2019, 17:16   #1

Boat: Hunter 33 "Cherubini" (1982)
Diesel in my bilge after filling tank?

Getting ready for the winter and I changed my primary fuel filter, and then a couple of days later topped off the tank and sailed/motored to a marina for haul out. When I arrived, lots of diesel in my bilge (ugh, because now whole place smells like diesel just before I store for winter with shrink wrap).

Anyway so of course something may be leaking where I replaced the fuel filter (racor), but I didn't see/smell anything the day I made that change. And pretty sure I tightened everything. I sort of think it has to do with when I topped off the fuel tank today and filled all the way (diesel came out in cockpit where fill hole is, but just a bit).

So is there any way for fuel to get out other than a leak, like is there some overflow thing where if you fill to much, it dumps it into bilge?? Yanmar 2GM20F.

Also any advice on cleaning up diesel, getting rid of smell?
paulg222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 17:57   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Diesel in my bilge after filling tank?

Had my tank air vent line leak when I over-filled the diesel tank. This allowed a small amount to leak out, but as we know, it doesn’t take a lot of diesel to stink things up.
Old 28-10-2019, 18:01   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Where is the tank vent?
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 18:51   #4

Boat: Manta 42

The fuel gauge sender could also have a leak. Check all of the fittings at the top of the fuel tank.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 20:21   #5

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

You said a lot of diesel, so it is not likely you over filled the tank a bit and had some run off. Probably a line is lose or came off.

I replaced the primary fuel filter on my Yanmar 4JH2 one time while winterizing. Sealed up the boat cover after all was done, but when inspecting things a month or two later, I had a bilge full of diesel fuel. The fuel line from the secondary to the primary filter had either come off or not been sufficiently tightened. I had to get the fuel out of the bilge and clean it. Had to pump the fuel into 5 gallon containers. Hot water, a lot of hot water, and Dawn will clean the bilge and time will get rid of the smell.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 21:34   #6

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Not good to fill till it overflows (sure you didn’t do on purpose)..... not only do you risk hose clamps leaking from fill hose and vent hose, you risk a spill due to temp changes and expansion of fuel. Also when I put my boat up for winter even though I try to get tank below 1/4 I close fuel valve at tank.

Cleaning diesel is a lot of work..... I would attack it ASAP and not cover the boat until you got it all up. That smell will permeate everything.....mean time get cushions out..

Good luck!
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 04:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody46CC View Post
You said a lot of diesel, so it is not likely you over filled the tank a bit and had some run off. Probably a line is lose or came off.

I replaced the primary fuel filter on my Yanmar 4JH2 one time while winterizing. Sealed up the boat cover after all was done, but when inspecting things a month or two later, I had a bilge full of diesel fuel. The fuel line from the secondary to the primary filter had either come off or not been sufficiently tightened. I had to get the fuel out of the bilge and clean it. Had to pump the fuel into 5 gallon containers. Hot water, a lot of hot water, and Dawn will clean the bilge and time will get rid of the smell.
Thanks, I'll try the Dawn approach, although hot water might be hard to do while on the hard at the marina.
Old 29-10-2019, 04:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Where is the tank vent?
Not sure yet, I'm new to this boat. Aren't these vents usually external (small through hull)?
Old 29-10-2019, 04:36   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I would check the primary fuel filter since you recently changed this. Has an o ring been trapped by chance?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 08:36   #10

Boat: Gulf 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulg222 View Post
Not sure yet, I'm new to this boat. Aren't these vents usually external (small through hull)?

That's what I've always seen, wouldn't think any would vent some direction other than overboard but can't say for sure. Usually one (or sometimes two) little shiny chrome pieces in the hull near the top of the sides.
Old 29-10-2019, 08:44   #11

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

Have you checked level in tank after the fuel leak. I had a tank spring a leak on a haulout one time. Filled bilge with fuel, emptied tank
Old 29-10-2019, 09:15   #12

Paulg:

Quote: "So is there any way for fuel to get out other than a leak, like is there some overflow thing where if you fill to much, it dumps it into bilge?? Yanmar 2GM20F. "

I see you've joined us just this year, so I am speculating that this may be the end of your first season as sailorman :-)

If so, I highly recommend that you take advantage of this period on the hard to really, really get to know your boat. Start with the fuel system because that is the one that giving you trouble now. Then, when you've dealt with that, pass on to the electrics and other systems.

There is nothing better for coming to know your boat than making sketches (they don't have to be fancy) of the various systems. In regard to the fuel system, get your paws on every bit of it, cleaning and verifying as you go. Start with the tank itself. Run your finger along the welds, including any on the top of the tank, feeling for wet patches. If you find any, just make note of it on your sketch. You can worry about means of repair later. Check all hose connections on their spigots. Make sure the clamping is according to recommendations. Follow every hose with your fingers feeling for wet spots indicating pin holes. Make note of any places where chafe prevention isn't up to snuff. If you suspect that the air vent hose is blocked. Disconnect it at the thru-hull and blow air "backwards" through it with a bicycle pump until you are sure it is not blocked. Clean out the throu-hull with a soft wire. Follow a similar procedure for the fuel supply hose to the Racor and for the "excess fuel" return line. Service the Racor as required. Verify that your "lift" pump (if any), which is separate from the injector pump, is working correctly.

You get the picture. The trick is to be really, really thorough and to make sketches and notes as you go. Doing so forces your brain to comprehend, which is what it is really all about.

Because every boat is different you will find that such people as delivery skippers who take command of other people's expensive assets go through such a thorough routine whenever they take responsibility for a boat.

Because all boats are different we can help you better if any questions you may put to us are very specific [as the one quoted above indeed is :-)] and, where appropriate, accompanied by a photo or two.

All the best

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 09:19   #13

Boat: CLC Skerry

To clean the bilge, after removing all the fuel and water, scrub it with Arm and Hammer toothpaste and water using a kitchen scrubber. The baking soda and mint scent will take care of the smell, while the polishing compound removes scum and dirt.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 09:31   #14

Boat: Amel 50

I didn’t see the type or age of the boat But recent European boats are require to have air vents able to expel air, but which block diesel from going overboard. I had the same issue. Diesel is usually underground at the fuel dock and therefore cooler than surface temperature. When you fill your boat’s tank, it’s usually warmer so the fuel expands. In my case, it couldn’t escape because of the EU regulation air vent, and found it’s way into the bilge through the path of least resistance. That time it was the fuel gauge port on top of the fuel tank that the manufacturer neglected to seal tightly. Nine times out of ten it’s one of the various ports on the fuel tank (gauge, pickup line, return line, maintenance, etc.) This is especially probable in your case as you already checked filters and around the engine.

Once you clean and ventilate (numerous other threads on this topic), I would adopt a strict policy of calculating or measuring fuel consumption since each fill, then fill with a good 5 gallon safety margin to avoid the problem altogether. In the old days we learned to fill the tank to the brim in the winter to avoid condensation. With separators and fuel additives, a little condensation is a far lesser evil than fuel in the bilge!
Old 29-10-2019, 10:02   #15

Boat: Beneteau 343

I had this problem a few times after filling up and traced it to a poor connection of the fuel fill hose to the tank. When I removed both the fill hose and vent hose from the tank and noticed some crystallization on the inside of the fill hose which I thought was quite strange. I cleaned it up, reattached, and the problem was solved. The fuel that remained in the fill hose after topping off was slowly leaking out via the poor connection.

I was lucky and caught it quickly each time and removed it from boat without too much smell remaining. Now I attempt to not overfill which isn't always easy.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, diesel, grass