Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2018, 12:48   #1

Where to Charter Post-Storm Caribbean

Hello,

Just talked to a friend who chartered the BVIs in June. News was still not real good. Still lots of devastation, cars missing windows, houses missing roofs, attractions still not back in feet. It’s REAL hard to get current info and I’m at the boat show">Annapolis boat show wanting to talk about a charter in March. Little leery of a whitewash by salesmen at the show. That said, June was four months ago and March is five more, so that’s a nine-month delta. Does that move the needle? There were a couple of tropical storms that rolled through too, so not sure how that affects things. BVI would be an ideal destination since one of our foursome is a first- time charterer, but if it’s the wrong destination, she won’t like it anyway. We’ve done all the destinations (PR, Belize, SXM, BVI, Grenadines, Windwards), so it’s about where to take these two couples with a first-timer? BVI & SXM slammed by storms? Windwards & Grenadines maybe a little Spicey for a first timer who’s not really a sailor? Belize, kinda remote? Thoughts?
LasrSlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 13:29   #2

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42
Re: Where to Charter Post-Storm Caribbean

My last trip was in July 2018: In Roadtown, will see some damage enroute to Base. No issues with provisioning. Stops for a 7 day charter, and seeing minimal impact: Cooper Island(night 1), Day stop Bathes, The Dogs and then overnight Leverick Bay(#2). Next day(Night #3) go to Anegada(minimal damage from storms as a few miles makes a great bit of difference) Could easily stay 2 nights at Anegada. Next night a nice stay at White Bay on Guana or go JVD... Diamond Cay for a relatively quite night(#4 or 5)... Likely afternoon trip to Bubbly Pool. Next day enjoy Soggy Dollar Bar and rest of White Bay,JVD, as most have rebuilt, but some damage remains. Great Harbor(#5 or #6) Typical Visit to Foxy's which was 100% a must for Newbies and oldies alike. (we stayed at CGB and actively rebuilding... Likely much completed by March).
Next day Dive Indians and The Caves and stay Norman Island(# 6 or #7)... And by the way, still haven't made it to the new Willie T's at Peter.

So You could very likely stay 7-10 days in BVI with minimal visualization of damaged structures in BVI...

So no reason to delay going to BVI.
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 19:20   #3

Boat: FP Astrea 42 #164

We were in BVI in December '18 after Irma. We had no problems provisioning and restaurants were open in Norman, Leverick, Anegada and JVD. Great 10 days with no crowds. Perfect!

A year later, much more has improved with CGB and Cooper open. Most charter companies boat inventories are vastly improved too. They need the tourism $$ and you'll have a great time.

We're headed back December!
Funkydrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:01   #4

Boat: Lagoon 420

The BVI’s can use the business to be sure. We were there pre-Irma and loved it. Should be good now even if not all the amenities are up and running.

Don’t rule out the Eastern Caribbean though. It is where we spend most of our time with great sailing, fantastic anchorages and wide variety of experiences available in the various islands.
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 09:20   #5

Boat: 1983 Pearson 34

Just returned this weekend. BVIs coming back. Several restaurants and moorings in Spanish Town, Leverick Bay is open and food is good. Moorings and anchoring available. Bitter End and Saba Rock still under construction, Anegada is open. Restaurants were hit and miss because it is off season. Will be open for the season. Marina Cay is closed, Scrub Island open. Jost Van Dyke is open. Similar to Anegada. Some restaurants close because it is slow. But others open. Nanny Cay open. Norman Island has one restaurant open, plenty of moorings. Peters only has Willy T's. Resort may be opening in the season.
Had a good time. Local bars and restaurants happy to see you. Taxis are a rip-off. GO!!!!
JeffDPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 05:54   #6

It is probably not considered on the same scale as what you are looking for and you may be a little bored, but Bahamas are always good for first timers
Byrdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 10:44   #7

While I don't want to promote another forum. traveltalkonline 's BVI forum is really good source for bareboat chartering in the BVIs. Going through the posts and trip reports since Irma will give you a great sense for what you can expect.

While I haven't been back since Irma my understanding is Cooper island is up and running, New willie T at Great harbour on Peter Island, Leverick Bay (BBQ Friday night not to be missed!) is back and running, Anegada was spared for the most part, Ivans and Soggie on Jost I don't think are the same but for a new comer would still be awesome.

The BVIs have so many positives for first timers. we are currently struggling with this for our bareboat cruise in the Grenadines from Grenada. Want to get up to Becquia but we would be looking at two solid sailing days beating up into the wind, swells, current potentially. BVIs you don't have to deal with that.

If you wanted to consider Grenadines, one way from St Vinacent down to Grenada could be doable. unfortunately for us flights and logistics ruled that option out.

Good luck and let us know where you end up booking! DIF is strong!
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 11:12   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerHappy View Post
Want to get up to Becquia but we would be looking at two solid sailing days beating up into the wind, swells, current potentially. BVIs you don't have to deal with that.
Hi Trigger. I wouldn’t necessarily agree with this.

We’ve sailed all the BVIs and it was excellent.

But we regularly sail up and down the Eastern Caribbean chain including north & south between Grenada and St Vincent. There is so much to see in this region!

Heading north can be a beat, but a fun one at that. For Bequia we head off Mayreau headed up as much as possible. Take what you can to the headland then drop sails and motor in. Or do tacks in if you wish.

Try running up the east side of Grenada then into the Grenadines also.

It’s all very much worth it. Cheers.
Old 25-10-2018, 13:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by krafthaus View Post
Hi Trigger. I wouldn’t necessarily agree with this.

We’ve sailed all the BVIs and it was excellent.

But we regularly sail up and down the Eastern Caribbean chain including north & south between Grenada and St Vincent. There is so much to see in this region!

Heading north can be a beat, but a fun one at that. For Bequia we head off Mayreau headed up as much as possible. Take what you can to the headland then drop sails and motor in. Or do tacks in if you wish.

Try running up the east side of Grenada then into the Grenadines also.

It’s all very much worth it. Cheers.
Thanks for the advice. I need to convince the other couples and crew though! We didn't make it too the St. Vincent side of the grenadines on our last cruise/sail course. Closest we got was to Petit St. Vincent. Hoping to get to Bequia but will have to play it by ear. I must say that I am tempted to sail down the east side of Grenada on the return leg where we will be leaving from Petit St. Vincent and checking in at Prickly Bay.

For the leg up, if you go around the south and up the east side where do you stop on the first day and about how long does it take?

Our current plan (since we are leaving from Port Louise Marina) is to hug the lee side motersail and then when the wind shifts to the east point as close to sail as close to Rhonde island as we can and then on to Carriacou for the night. this will take approximately 6 hours I imagine.
Old 25-10-2018, 16:17   #10

Quote:
I need to convince the other couples and crew though!

I must say that I am tempted to sail down the east side of Grenada on the return leg where we will be leaving from Petit St. Vincent and checking in at Prickly Bay.

For the leg up, if you go around the south and up the east side where do you stop on the first day and about how long does it take?
Oh yes....sometimes it's having the rest of the crew comfortable with the plan, so understand that point, and it is an important one too.

The sail south along the east side of Grenada is quite easy on a very good point of sail. On the leg north from Prickly Bay up the east side it's around 38 nms to Tyrell Bay on Carriacou which is easy enough. You motor sail out from the south end of Grenada heading NE, then when you can turn further north to get on a point of sail you go from there. Tyrell is a good stop in about 7 hours. Or if you clear out of Grenada first you can hit Union Island for a night to clear into SVG. Union is another 8-10 nm further but this is all possible with an early departure from Prickly. If you are fast enough you could even go anchor at Tobago Cays after clearing in at Union.

From Tobago Cays, Bequia is 27 nms. In March we were anchor up at 0730 and anchor down off Jack's Bar at Princess Margaret Beach at 1215.
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
Old 26-10-2018, 09:53   #11

Quote:
Oh yes....sometimes it's having the rest of the crew comfortable with the plan, so understand that point, and it is an important one too.

From Tobago Cays, Bequia is 27 nms. In March we were anchor up at 0730 and anchor down off Jack's Bar at Princess Margaret Beach at 1215.
Did you do that in your Lagoon 42? We will have a Saono 47 so I will be curious how it will handle the swell and or current. hoping the wind is bead east or even a little south.

Give the limited time that we have have, if we did Bequia, we would be heading from Carriacou which would add a significant amount of distance. Maybe I should see if we can rearrange the itinerary to leave from Mayreau or Tobago Cays instead. The problem if we do that is we would need to give up something else, Mayreau, Palm island or Petit St. Vincent for example.
Old 26-10-2018, 11:36   #12

Quote:
Did you do that in your Lagoon 42? We will have a Saono 47 so I will be curious how it will handle the swell and or current. hoping the wind is bead east or even a little south.

Give the limited time that we have have, if we did Bequia, we would be heading from Carriacou which would add a significant amount of distance. Maybe I should see if we can rearrange the itinerary to leave from Mayreau or Tobago Cays instead. The problem if we do that is we would need to give up something else, Mayreau, Palm island or Petit St. Vincent for example.
Yes this was with our Lagoon 420. That Saono catamaran looks very nice and it would handle this entire area no problem and sail quite fast.

I don't think I saw which month you are there? For example early January the Christmas winds can kick up for even a week or more. You'd need to keep an eye on winds to make sure they are reasonable and we've been held up before with strong winds and needed to wait for a while til things settled down. Keep an eye on the gribs. We use Passage Weather. Windy and other online data are also good sources.

It's always a compromise....so many nice places to stop and visit & only so many days to do it all.
Old 26-10-2018, 11:44   #13

Quote:
Yes this was with our Lagoon 420. That Saono catamaran looks very nice and it would handle this entire area no problem and sail quite fast.

I don't think I saw which month you are there? For example early January the Christmas winds can kick up for even a week or more. You'd need to keep an eye on winds to make sure they are reasonable and we've been held up before with strong winds and needed to wait for a while til things settled down. Keep an eye on the gribs. We use Passage Weather. Windy and other online data are also good sources.

It's always a compromise....so many nice places to stop and visit & only so many days to do it all.
I think we have officially hijacked this thread... we will be sailing in early May. I will post my itinerary on a separate thread, would appreciate any advice from cruisers that have the experience and local knowledge!
Old 27-10-2018, 11:07   #14

Quote:
I think we have officially hijacked this thread...
Ha! I agree. PM me if you have any more questions. Cheers.
Old 28-10-2018, 11:23   #15

Quote:
Ha! I agree. PM me if you have any more questions. Cheers.
bumped my thread on Friday - SVT and Grenada itinerary advice, Thanks!

Tags
Caribbean, charter, rib