Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2010, 12:06   #1

Liveaboards In Nova Scotia

Hi all I'm new to the forum and the past couple of months my wife and I have been exploring the idea of joining the ranks of liveaboards! We currently live in Montreal and although plenty of people live aboard year round in Toronto its not an option here. I don't want to live in Toronto i don't like the city... but Halifax on the other hand!

I'm curious if living aboard year round near Halifax is feasible.

Are there live-aboard marina's?

Would we be warm enough in a production fiberglass boat like the Catalina 445, or Com-Pac 35 if we shrink wrapped?

From what I can tell winters in Toronto are far worse than Halifax but i could be mistaken. I've never been to Nova Scotia though my wife has and it has been her dream to live there since her early teens.

Any thoughts are welcome! I noticed at least one other Nova Scotia Resident on the forum.. hint hint...
Jude2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 12:51   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Hi and welcome. Having lived aboard for a year on the west coast I can tell you it's a great way to live. I'm on an island now and miss the simplicity of living aboard. My experience with Halifax is in the fall and even then it can get very cold and damp. You'll need a very good heater there. I wonder if the Annapolis Royal area might work better? I understand it's much milder in the winter. The tides would provide some challenges I'm sure. That said people live aboard in some pretty cold climates and Halifx is a wonderful city. Good luck with your quest.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 13:06   #3

Your right there seems to be nice Yacht Clubs there.. and the research continues.. I grew up in BC in Prince Rupert and Queen Charlotte Islands Mostly, as well as Merritt, Vancouver...
Old 16-09-2010, 13:55   #4

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Halifax is a great city and NS in general is gorgeous. Not every winter is very cold but once in a while its cold enough to freeze the sea. In the Harbour its self there are several sailing clubs and marinas but im not sure about residential.

My Aunt and her partner kept their yacht at the Western Arm marina and its only 20 mins motoring into the harbour. In summer there are so many places to explore and Peggys cove and Mahon bay are great places to start.

Go for it
Old 16-09-2010, 14:23   #5

Thanks! Nova Scotia seems like a Sailing Paradise in the summer and a perfect way to gain some experience before heading down to Florida/Bahamas/Mexico, also a close reach to Maine. With my luck our first winter will be filled in ice lol...
Old 16-09-2010, 19:49   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Hi and welcome. . My experience with Halifax is in the fall and even then it can get very cold and damp. You'll need a very good heater there. I wonder if the Annapolis Royal area might work better? I understand it's much milder in the winter. That said people live aboard in some pretty cold climates and Halifx is a wonderful city. Good luck with your quest.
I can see the headlines now.... REUTERS: Annapolis Royal- "Montréal couple found frozen to death aboard yacht - hummingway charged with criminal negligence in their deaths" Annapolis Royal is actually less temperate in summer and winter than Halifax, but I do have to say that in my opinion there is no place prettier in Nova Scotia to live (and we have lots of pretty here). In Halifax (not as pretty) you can live aboard at the Armdale Yacht Club on the Northwest arm (probably where Anjou's Aunt moored) which has the best shelter around (and is pretty) and is closest to downtown by road. Nice eclectic membership mix, reasonable fees, and a lovely spot to live. No immediate shops, however. There are a few other areas around the city where you could also live aboard but none better than this.

Winters are not as cold temperature wise as TO (or Montreal) but we have a very cold damp to deal with and, of course, short but very comfortable summers (also unlike TO or Montreal). I would not want to live aboard here without a cored hull.

There aren't many live aboards here but there are a few, and it's a nice community. Coastal sailing here in summer is fabulous towards the Lunenburg area and further afield Bras d'Or Lake on Cape Breton Island is even better in some ways. Nova Scotia is also a great place for honing navigation skills as we are generally as fogbound as Maine

I hope this helps; we're all friendly down here (well, most of us) and would love to welcome some new marine life ( as long as they're not from Toronto, of course!). Let me know if I can help in any way, and I do mean that.

After I read your post I just had to join the forum (I've been a longtime lurker) before you wound up bound by ice and ravaged by scurvy in the Annapolis Basin. I do have a conscience.

So welcome to you, and welcome to me!

Blair
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 19:59   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob2 View Post

Blair
welcome to the forum, Blair!
Old 16-09-2010, 20:10   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Tides are not bad North and East of Shelbourne. Not a real issue in Halifax.

Now in the Bay of Fundy..........that's another matter.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 20:12   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob2 View Post
I can see the headlines now.... REUTERS: Annapolis Royal- "Montréal couple found frozen to death aboard yacht - hummingway charged with criminal negligence in their deaths" After I read your post I just had to join the forum (I've been a longtime lurker) before you wound up bound by ice and ravaged by scurvy in the Annapolis Basin. I do have a conscience.

Blair
Welcome Blair and thanks for saving these poor people from my ignorance!

Old 16-09-2010, 20:23   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Welcome Blair and thanks for saving these poor people from my ignorance!
I like to help!

thanks hummingway, and to all of you for the welcomes. This is a wonderful forum with some tremendous experience shared, and I both enjoy it and appreciate it!
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 22:12   #11

Thank you for the many responses I will read them over again when its not so late! I did a quick search of cored hulls and insulated hulls on Yachtworld and it came up with zip... ... People often complain of the lack of insulation in a Jeep Wranglers top and cry cold, but in the -30 we are more than warm enough, possible similar scenario?

Nova Scotia is looking more and more attractive! Its funny the Yacht Club that attracted my eye was the Armdale Yacht Club before we looked into the Annapolis area. I think the key will be where we find jobs myself being in financial management and my wife in nursing, we will for the most part be working on shore I would imagine unless I find a job where I can work online.. but i digress. An eclectic group of members sounds fantastic!

By 'bound by ice in Annapolis Basin' do you mean the water commonly freezes over in that area? Or the ice will be, well us. Thanks for the offer of help I may need it when I have scurvy!... my wife she is not the best of cooks... << dinner Fortunately that wont fit through the companion way.

J
Old 17-09-2010, 22:24   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude2010 View Post
Thank you for the many responses I will read them over again when its not so late! I did a quick search of cored hulls and insulated hulls on Yachtworld and it came up with zip... ... People often complain of the lack of insulation in a Jeep Wranglers top and cry cold, but in the -30 we are more than warm enough, possible similar scenario?

Nova Scotia is looking more and more attractive! Its funny the Yacht Club that attracted my eye was the Armdale Yacht Club before we looked into the Annapolis area. I think the key will be where we find jobs myself being in financial management and my wife in nursing, we will for the most part be working on shore I would imagine unless I find a job where I can work online.. but i digress. An eclectic group of members sounds fantastic!

By 'bound by ice in Annapolis Basin' do you mean the water commonly freezes over in that area? Or the ice will be, well us. Thanks for the offer of help I may need it when I have scurvy!... my wife she is not the best of cooks... << dinner Fortunately that wont fit through the companion way.

J
There's a lot more space to heat in a boat and you don't have a really hot engine to provide a source of heat like your jeep does. I spent a considerable sum putting a furnace in my boat only to realize that a boat of my size is difficult to heat in relatively mild (as in never below freezing) temperatures. I think for me a radiant source such as a fireplace would have been a good choice since some of the space on the boat doesn't need heating. Actually a combo of the two would be great but I'm not going there myself but you might want to. It's just not cold enough here and I've moved back on land so I'm not as concerned with full time comfort.

All I'm suggesting is that your heat source will have it's work cut out for it in cold weather.

Having a cored hull isn't something that usually shows up in ads in my limited experience. Insulation is that common and brings with it it's own problems though it may be that out east you see more insulated hulls. Condensation can be a problem with them.

Old 19-09-2010, 09:28   #13

Makes sense. How safe is a wood stove on a sailboat? Would that cause insurance issues?
Old 19-09-2010, 09:53   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Search around the forum Jude, there are lots of threads on heating and some on installing a stove. So long as you follow manufacturers suggestions you should be okay.

I think you would be happier with a diesel heater though, especially as a live aboard. A hydronic heater will give you hot water for your morning shower as well as keep the air circulating. Air circulation and ventilation are very important in order to minimize condensation. Notice the word minimize. Mold can be an issue unless you are very careful.

I think that hull insulation is a must for happy living in the more northern climes. It is very work intensive to install though.

Welcome aboard and good luck, and welcome to Brob2 too...
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 11:48   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
It is very work intensive to install though.
:
So it is possible to install yourself? Or have installed? It could be worthwhile to hire someone to do it if it allows us to have a boat of choice. When we are in the purchasing stage of things I'm certain a broker could help with these issues but its nice to have a plan of actions. My brother in law is a mechanical engineer specializing in ventilation of large buildings pools and ice rinks. I bet he could help with that end of things.

Tags
nova scotia