Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2016, 01:08   #1

Boat: slowly designing a worldcruiser for early retirement
big yachts and small family crews - legality

This is more of an idle curiosity than serious question at this time (because things are years off and probably have extra zeroes on the right/well out of my pricerange) but I was reading about some of the huge megayachts and how the cost of the crews alone can cost millions per year on these boats costing tens of millions to 100+ million so I was just thinking... assuming you had the yacht, what if a person just had extended family and friends do all the manning requirements... Of course that made me curious about the legality of that. (separate from the skills/i'm not suggesting someone unskilled be at the helm) I guess I was just wondering what is legally required whether in international waters or whatever since i'm not even sure how laws apply/i've only ever been on the great lakes and nearer shore ocean stuff before and never responsible for the boat itself.
black_sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 02:10   #2
cruiser

Re: big yachts and small family crews - legality

We are presently exploring the posibility of moving up to a fully automated nearly 70ft 49 ton sailboat for just the two of us. The cost of additional crew would be zero. No problems, but here in the EU an ICC license is required for the operator in some countries.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 07:40   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

In the US there is no size limit on private yachts operated by the owners. So technically you could buy an aircraft carrier and use it as a yacht and the USCG would be fine with it. Trying to get insurance however... Not going to happen. Once you break around 70' you need either a captain or a very good resumed.

Depending on where you are some locations require local pilots starting at above 64' for any non-local flagged vessel. But this is true if you have a captain or not.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 10:39   #4

Once again, it's a big world. Lots of countries. Even within countries, often lots of different laws--the U.S. for example, where laws vary from state to state.

In international waters, any size boat, no problem. As soon as you get into the territorial waters of any country, though, then you have to follow their laws. So that means about 200 different answers to this question (many more, actually, given the differences between states, departments, districts, parishes, and other sub-entities within a lot of countries).

I will leave it as an exercise for the OP to look up all of those different answers.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 11:57   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For inspiration to what a couple can manage in power and sail go to
SetSail FPB

And read about the Dashews and their boats Beowulf (78' sail) and Wind Horse (83' power).

Some of the new FPB boats the Dashews design are 97 feet and longer (FPB130).

Of course Steve and Linda Dashew are outstanding cruisers with lots of experience and boats designed for shorthanded sailing. Not your average sailors or boats.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, family, legal, yacht