Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2017, 06:35   #1

Naval Architecture for the layman...

If you're anything like me, you're consumed with boats and boat talk, and when you lay in bed trying to fall asleep, you think of boat related things. Which is what I did last night.

I started thinking about all the monohull boats that I've looked at over the last months, and wondered why they all seamed alike.

With all the different naval architects out there, why hasn't one turned the monohull world upside down with some completely different design?

I can only compare this to something that I know, and that's cameras. For decades SLR cameras all seemed alike. They all pretty much looked alike as well. You had a lens on the front, a shutter button usually always in the same place, and a viewfinder. This carried over into the digital world, and newly designed digital cameras followed the old film camera designs. A few years ago, one camera manufacturer decided that the viewfinder was not a necessity and decided to delete it, and create a "mirrorless" camera. And soon the other manufacturers followed suit. People went crazy because this new camera, just didn't look like a camera. But the mirrorless design was just as capable as older designs.

So with that mentality, why hasn't there been a shakeup in the monohull world? Why hasn't someone put the galley in the V Berth, and the engine midship? Or put the cockpit forward, with a rear facing companionway leaving room for bigger berths in the back?

Are there certain rules of a boats design that just can't be changed? Or is it more or less consumer driven, so they design what sells?
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:45   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Naval Architecture for the layman...

Probably like evolution: What works good survived.

Cockpit in the front? Sure, it can be built, once.
Engine amidships? Long shaft, vibration problems, etc, etc.

Come up with a superior re-design and get rich and famous.
Change things around just to make changes may work for a living room rug or
Some other decorative item.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:05   #3

Boat: Currently in between

I remember a thread some time back where a gentleman wanted to wipe out his interior and start over, a clean slate so to speak.

Those more knowledgeable mentioned a few "has to be's" he had to deal with. For instance, bulkheads couldn't be removed or moved as structural integrity would suffer, i.e. mast needed support and bracing. Does that mean you couldn't put the galley up front? No, you could still do that. For him it killed the idea of a king sized bed.

Then there was the issue of tankage, he wanted to move water and holding somewhere else, don't remember where but maybe all in the stern? Turned out it was a plumbing nightmare.

As to your idea of a forward galley my wife just said "No way!" She doesn't want to be cut off from people while cooking and doesn't want to schlep food from the front, through the center bedroom then up and out to the cockpit.

That being said I believe almost everyone was in favor of a center master stateroom, best ride in the yacht!

So the major hurdles would be structural integrity, efficient and workable physical plant (plumbing, wiring, batteries, etc.) and the biggest hurdle, keeping the admiral happy.

All that being said I think there have been some attempts at minor variations. Example might be the Nonsuch with a single non-supported mast moved a little forward. I don't believe it was done to make different arrangements down below but more so for single handling, ease of sailing. Those that have sailed them seem to rave but the masses didn't follow to the point the design became more the norm. Disclaimer: My comments on the Nonsuch are based on reading stories on the Net and noting what the owner's said. I have no expertise here and no first hand experience.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:23   #4

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

You are comparing a cameras in general that morphed with technology advancements, to a specific style of boat. Boats did evolve and morph. Engines to be specific.
But even sailboats have evolved with technology. engines again, watermakers, battery banks, electronic display, gps, refrigeration ect.
Also fin keels vs full, new sail design and material. Change is always happening.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
Change is always happening.

Yeah, but the basic shape and layout has always remained the same.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:59   #6

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
Yeah, but the basic shape and layout has always remained the same.
To a certain degree the shape is constrained by the requirements. Square probably doesn't work below the waterline. But I see your point. Maybe people don't want to have the oddball new thing, until a few others adopt it. Then it's OK. Designers know this, and don't make oddball things.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:19   #7

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

It seems to matter where you look. If you read wooden boat magazine you will see plenty of innovation, particularly in power boats. For sail vessels form must follow function. Even so, there is still plenty that is being done. CF member Panope has built a very interesting and effective boat. Check out his posts for detailed pix of his latest re fit..? Very cool
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:42   #8

Forward galleys were common when owners had paid crew and didnt want the riff raff (crew) mixing with the guests. Forward was the least desirable area on the boat, so that is where the least desirable people worked. My first cruising boat (26 foot) had the galley in the forepeak and it was not fun at all. I lost 12 -15 lbs on a 24 day passage. It was just too rough to cook up forward on most days. In actual fact mono hulls have changed a lot in the last 150 years, from the Collin Archer pilot boats to the downwind sleds that sail around the world in record time, but for cruising boats, things that work well stay in production. Just my thoughts. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:45   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Well.

Viewfinder cameras came before SLR ... NO???? Today's mirrorless cameras are nothing but modern day Leicas.

So, alike, you do not place your galley in the fore as it is hell even to **** there when the boat sails fast upwind in any serious seas.

NO NO NO The best place for the toilet is just next to the companionway and opposite the galley. For same reasons. NOT in the forepeak.

Now that we have cleared the vista, what revolution could there be?

We got Spectra lines and sails, we got comfortable and safe beamy boats in place of narrow and unsafe tubs. We got gtx foul wx clothing, lpg or electric galleys, AF paint, amazing wind and auto pilots, etc. etc. I think, all were revolutionary mods to the otherwise simple concept.

So, what revolution actually do you mean?

I think forgetting the bermuda rig and going for something fast, simple and safe downwind will be the next revolution for cruising boats. Most cruising is done beam reaching and running and using upwind optimised rigs on such boats is simply silly. Let's see who will step in with a square rigged Bene up first. For I am sure someone will, soon.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc