Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 20:36   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to wackerb
Immediate crew needed Dominican Republic to Miami

Immediate need for up to 2 crew on a 40' Catamaran. From Cofresi near Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic to Miami. Must be able to stay awake, use common sense, and not get seasick. Unpaid, only expense is your food. Email wackerb at gmail dot com or Skype wackerb.
Old 08-01-2017, 20:39   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Re: Immediate crew needed Dominican Republic to Miami

are you covering travel to DR?
Old 08-01-2017, 20:57   #3

Travel to DR is not provided.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:55   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Immediate crew needed Dominican Republic to Miami

Sorry... seems like an unreasonable request; at the least I'd assume meals, travel costs, etc are the responsibility of the captain and/or owner. Am I missing something here?
Old 09-01-2017, 08:16   #5

No, this is a common arrangement for volunteer, non-professional crew.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:27   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am available as experienced crew on Short Notice for owners and delivery captains too, during all of 2017. More info here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nd-152208.html

And I can fly inexpensivley to DR and from Miami and many other port cities in the USA and Caribbean.

But, what you are asking for, or "need" in your words, is someone who is willing to go on what will not be a pleasure cruise, (and sounds like a delivery) AND they have to pay for their own food and transportation to and from the boat?

That seems unlikely to attract the crew you "need."

My POV?
I suggest that captains and owners should offer to pay for transportation and ALL food too (at a minimum), as it is what I would do if I were the captain/owner (I live by the Golden Rule). It only seems fair to me, since the captain is offering nothing more than a requirement to work (labor) long hours for multiple days for no compensation or reward at all.

If I were a captain/owner looking for experienced crew to help me move my boat, I would pay for their Travel & Expenses (food) and provide them with some reward too.

YMMV
Old 09-01-2017, 08:47   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackerb View Post
No, this is a common arrangement for volunteer, non-professional crew.
Is this your own boat?

Or, are you being paid to deliver the boat for someone else?
Old 09-01-2017, 09:06   #8

Steady Hand - I think it is obvious from the ad that it is for inexperienced people who want the opportunity to sail. I've been using such crew for over 6 months and am sorry you seemed to be threatened by the existence of such people, but just look on Crewbay of FindACrew to see there are lots around who do not fit your particular view of reality. In fact, the last crewperson I brought on who expected transport and food to be paid for as you suggest had over 15,000 nm of documented experience, reluctantly paid for her own food and was completely worthless, couldn't tie a bowline or stay awake on night watches. If you're not interested that is fine, but don't waste all of our time lecturing on how you think I should run my life and my boat. If I wanted someone with your experience I would ask for it.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:11   #9

Boat: Former owner of a Jeanneau Sun Fizz, a 41 ft sloop and a Dufour CT12000, a 45 ft ketch motorsailor

Nuts! I hope that you get the crew you deserve. Captain Denis
Old 09-01-2017, 09:35   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackerb View Post
Steady Hand - I think it is obvious from the ad that it is for inexperienced people who want the opportunity to sail. I've been using such crew for over 6 months and am sorry you seemed to be threatened by the existence of such people, but just look on Crewbay of FindACrew to see there are lots around who do not fit your particular view of reality. In fact, the last crewperson I brought on who expected transport and food to be paid for as you suggest had over 15,000 nm of documented experience, reluctantly paid for her own food and was completely worthless, couldn't tie a bowline or stay awake on night watches. If you're not interested that is fine, but don't waste all of our time lecturing on how you think I should run my life and my boat. If I wanted someone with your experience I would ask for it.
It is unfortunate that you have taken such a defensive and hostile position.

I don't feel threatened at all.

I am not hostile, have no animosity towards you or others, and am only interested in helping others here.

My comments above, and my questions are sincere, and intended to help you get the crew you say you need immediately. Everything I wrote was in a friendly tone of voice. It is unfortunate you did not take it that way.

But, you have still neglected to answer a key question: "Is this your boat or are you delivering it for someone else?"

From your lack or response on that question, I will assume you are being paid to deliver the boat for someone.

In any case, my POV is one based on how I treat others and expect to be treated in return (Golden Rule). You obviously feel it is OK to expect others to work for you for free, and for them to also pay you for the food you provide aboard the boat and for you to have them travel to and from the boat at their expense too.

Here's a tip I would give any captain: If you have had bad experiences with poor crew, it may be as much your own fault for your method of soliciting and selecting them and how you are treating them.

My POV is that responsible, good, experienced crew are worth selecting with care, and worth treating well. That is how I would do it. I offered that POV to you in an attempt to help you with a different POV.

Obviously, we have a different POV about how crew should be treated, regardless of their experience level. I intend to treat my crew well, and reward them for helping me move my boat.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:13   #11

Steady Hand - reread your first post. It is little more than a thinly veiled advertisement for yourself (and a point of view from which you derive a benefit), which is entirely misplaced in the Crew Wanted section, anyway. Sell yourself in the Crew Available section. So it and following posts are just sour grapes to rain on my parade. If you don't have an interest in crewing for me then just keep your thoughts to yourself. Others can decide whether it is fair without your interference and negative comments. Reread my last post and the answer to the ownership is there, but, it is none of you business, anyway. In the guise of "protecting others" you're just tooting your own horn where you have no business interfering. Do you have the self control and integrity to just drop it??
Old 09-01-2017, 10:19   #12

Boat: wanting a cat

Somebody needs to look in the mirror...

Steadyhand is one of the most polite, informative, and decent posters on this entire forum.

meatservo
Old 09-01-2017, 12:06   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post

Steadyhand is one of the most polite, informative, and decent posters on this entire forum.

meatservo
+1 no offence to the OP. I wish I could do the cruise.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:34   #14

can't do this one, wrong part of the world, but I would be interested in knowing if the OP's boat or being paid for a delivery, maybe an answer will be forthcoming as I would like to understand what is normal in these situations.

The reason I wonder is that to the uninformed I think there is a big difference between someone who has a boat and would like some help where space on a boat is being given for some help but food extra, and someone who is making money delivering and wants to reduce workload by getting some extra crew (as the need to be able to stay awake suggests keeping watch and some responsibility) but is not prepared to share delivery fee.

On a separate note would there be any paperwork as to what expected ? If was a delivery would not the owner have an expectation on crew being used etc.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:54   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post

meatservo
That may be so, and on neutral ground his post wouldn't necessarily offend.

However this post is someone advertising for crew. choosing to neg here inside this advertisement changes the nature of that post and makes it impolite and indecent.

Those same comments in a post not advertising crew? Maybe if op had posted somewhere griping about incompetent crew? Then Steady's response is completely polite and well reasoned. I would agree and second it.

I try to see both sides (poorly) and would agree with steadyhand, that if I was in a rush for good crew then I wouldnt expect them to pay for all of their expenses, especially not asking them to pay for their own food on board. (this I find actually really rude and crude)

Maybe OP isnt in a rush for good crew, maybe op has good well experienced and compensated crew. maybe he also has room fro two more. maybe he is extending his hand out to those among us with little to no experience who would love to burn a weeks vacation, fly down to the DR and have some more sea time under their belt. The rush here may be the small window in which said person has to make it happen.

at the end of the day This is crew wanted, not crew or captain caliber discussions. If you really want to give a man constructive criticism do it in private.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, Dominica, Dominican Republic, miami