Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2016, 10:28   #1

Sailing from New York to Australia for a year!

Hello fellow Sailors!! I am Australian female 47yrs and in the process of purchasing a Baltic 50 in New York with the intent to sail to Florida at the end of November and then down through the Caribbean at the start of January. Arriving at the Panama Canal in May to do Pacific crossing in May/June and then South Pacific Islands, arriving back in Australia in November 2017 is this something you would be interested in being a part of?? I'm looking for someone with a US Coast Guard Captains Licence with Sail Endorsement and 2 experienced Crew Members to join me on this awesome trip. The idea of an all female crew, inspiring women, is something i have in mind but not a prerequisite at this time Ideally there will be 4 onboard during the trip so i would love to hear from you if you are interested in all or part of the journey! leannegrant101@gmail.com get in touch!
leannegrant101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 15:44   #2

Boat: Clipper Mk II , 17 ft fractional rigged sloop
Re: Sailing from New York to Australia for a year!

Hi Leanne

i am a 52 yo aussie man with blue water experience . Panama to Australia sounds good to me . if you find you cannot fill your crew list with women for the Pacific crossing, let me know and i can send you my CV.
sounds like a wonderfull trip

cheers

Jimmy
HVYJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 16:08   #3

Hey Jimmy, That sounds great!! Let's stay in touch between now and May and make a plan that will suit! The crossing and the South Pacific Islands will be a lot of fun, adventure and exploring!!
I'll keep you updated for sure!
smooth sailing
Leanne
Old 09-11-2016, 17:19   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannegrant101 View Post
Hello fellow Sailors!! I am Australian female 47yrs and in the process of purchasing a Baltic 50 in New York with the intent to sail to Florida at the end of November and then down through the Caribbean at the start of January. Arriving at the Panama Canal in May to do Pacific crossing in May/June and then South Pacific Islands, arriving back in Australia in November 2017 is this something you would be interested in being a part of?? I'm looking for someone with a US Coast Guard Captains Licence with Sail Endorsement and 2 experienced Crew Members to join me on this awesome trip. The idea of an all female crew, inspiring women, is something i have in mind but not a prerequisite at this time Ideally there will be 4 onboard during the trip so i would love to hear from you if you are interested in all or part of the journey! leannegrant101@gmail.com get in touch!
Howdy and Ahoy and Welcome Aboard CF Leanne!

I am interested in your voyage, in all or part, and am available to assist you on short notice (including in Nov 2016 to Florida or beyond).

I am an Experienced Blue Water sailor (e.g. Kauai Hawaii to California, etc.) and my seabag is packed and I am ready to sail. I would be available as Experienced Crew.

I have a brief profile About Me page on this forum. Here is a link to that:
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: Steady Hand

I will also send you an email with subject title "Experienced Crew Steady Hand" later today. In that I will include a link to my extensive Sailing Credentials, including many testimonials, photos, background, etc.

Best wishes for a safe and happy voyage! And I hope you enjoy your time on CF too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 17:54   #5

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

The US east coast can be pretty tough that time of year. I suggest learning more about the weather patterns before confirming that trip. It won't be fun that i can assure you.

Canberra weather is nice right now though! No boats but I'm enjoying the Aussie hospitality
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 17:56   #6

Hey Steadman that is great news! As soon as I have a confirmed sale on my dream boat i'll be in touch to see if it all will work out.
I'll look forward to receiving your email when you get a chance to do it.
Thanks so much!
Leanne
Old 10-11-2016, 08:57   #7

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Hi Leanne,

The sailing trip sounds great. If you are ever looking for a Canadian husband, please give me a call (PM). You sound like my dream-girl....loves sailing and has her own boat. You are welcome to think of me on those lonely night watches.

To reiterate...loved your post, you are awesome.

Dave
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:35   #8

Boat: Catalina 42 Mk2

Hi Leanne, I have heard of a guy who wants to tow a 40 ft cruiser behind a yacht while doing the crossing (he likes his night time creature comforts) - might be worth a call. He posted his ideas yesterday. He will probably also want to know where you plan to anchor at night while crossing the 13klm deep oceans.....LOL.
Shirvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:35   #9

Boat: Union cutter 33

Dave....get a life....
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:57   #10

hahahaha... I am looking forward to reading about this journey and wish the OP fair winds and following seas. Go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 13:12   #11

omg.. i guess you just laugh at the 'interesting' feedback you get when you put yourself out there!
This is a genuine post.. and we do plan to entertain you over the next 12 months with video blogs and social media updates I look forward to showing you what us strong women can do when we put our minds to it! I bet your mum would have wanted to be onboard!
Old 10-11-2016, 13:23   #12

Boat: 37 Tayana Pilot House

Good luck, God Speed, wish you girls the best, am sure you will be fine.

Pops
navysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 13:52   #13

omg lance i don't know where you got that figure from, but i'm not spending anywhere near that!! With regard to the line up of people to join... I have flown solo from Australia 10 days ago with the intent to gather a crew of people that are not already connected! i can sail at home with my friends, this is about stepping out of your comfort zone and meeting and working along side new people I love the idea. I understand that the concept of what i am trying to achieve is very different, but thats what i like about it.
Old 10-11-2016, 14:43   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Leanne, don't worry about posts like Lance's (now gone missing). There are too many folks who seek a cloud for every silver lining encountered.

You come across as genuine to me, so I wish you good luck in your crew selection and your voyage.

Jim
Old 10-11-2016, 15:41   #15

Boat: 1975 morgan outisland 33'

I wish you Fairwinds and following seas if I had the time I would be following you on that trip
kennyarmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, new york, sail, sailing