Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2019, 21:08   #1

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch
Just purchased a Hudson 44 in La Paz Mexico

Hello all,

We finally found a yacht that was priced right and enough space we are looking for. Our Windrush II was just too cramped for us. We are now going from a small one cabin V-birth, to a 3 cabin with a aft master queen. My wife will be very happy. The yacht is in La Paz Mexico so we will be refitting her and sailing her across the big pond to the Philippines when we are ready. I sailed the Windrush across the north Pacific through Hawaii and Micronesia, now We want to experience the FP.

But the real reason why i am posting is to connect with cruisers in La Paz and find some good people to help me refit our yacht. She needs all the teak ripped off and i am sure there are issues with the plywood base. Also I need to find a good stainless fabricator to make some new chain plates. other than that, I am excited to hang out in La Paz and get to know the cruiser there. I will be flying in sometime around the first of July to get started.

Fair Winds to all

Capt Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E0017.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	398.8 KB
ID:	193500  
Old 08-06-2019, 07:08   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Just purchased a Hudson 44 in La Paz Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Windrush II View Post
... But the real reason why i am posting is to connect with cruisers in La Paz and find some good people to help me refit our yacht ...
CF member zeehag is very familiar with La Paz and it's marine trades. She's also familiar with Garden designs (hers is a formosa 41 yankee clipper).
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...hag-15904.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:56   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

good day. i do not know la paz but friends have had good luck at berkovich yard.
nice looking boat, and of good size for cruising!
i donot venture north of mazatlan.... i prefer barra de navidad and south for climate..
i am available for questions if needed... solutions are findable
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 18:55   #4

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Join Club Cruceiros when you get to La Paz. They have a great directory of local services, updated pretty frequently by club members. The cruisers net is on vhf channel 22 at 8am every morning except Sundays. Come by the club for 10 peso coffee in the morning, the clubhouse is at Marina La Paz.
Give me a call on the radio when you get here. The locals monitor chan 22 to stay in touch with each other.

No matter what Rich says, stay away from the street fish taco sales carts. Drink plenty of cerveza to stay hydrated.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 21:04   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
No matter what Rich says, stay away from the street fish taco sales carts.
What??? Heresy... One of the best things I remember about our years in the LP area was the fish tacos. What are you so worried about?

Jim
Old 08-06-2019, 21:13   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
Join Club Cruceiros when you get to La Paz. They have a great directory of local services, updated pretty frequently by club members. The cruisers net is on vhf channel 22 at 8am every morning except Sundays. Come by the club for 10 peso coffee in the morning, the clubhouse is at Marina La Paz.
Give me a call on the radio when you get here. The locals monitor chan 22 to stay in touch with each other.

No matter what Rich says, stay away from the street fish taco sales carts. Drink plenty of cerveza to stay hydrated.
Thanks bunches, I will be sure to join the club. Thats what I was hoping to find!

Rob
Old 08-06-2019, 21:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
What??? Heresy... One of the best things I remember about our years in the LP area was the fish tacos. What are you so worried about?

Jim
The seafood is great in La Paz - including the sushi, much less the fish tacos.

Avoiding Seafood out of street carts isn't heretical, just hygienic.

Machaca and carnitas is different - as long as you aren't on a low sodium diet.
Old 08-06-2019, 23:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
The seafood is great in La Paz - including the sushi, much less the fish tacos.

Avoiding Seafood out of street carts isn't heretical, just hygienic.

Machaca and carnitas is different - as long as you aren't on a low sodium diet.
Now you guys are making me hungry, cant wait to try the food there
Old 09-06-2019, 08:46   #9

Boat: Hinterhoeller Nonsuch 33

If you have not already, head down to Club Cruceros and meet some great people where you will likely find all you need. Best, Robert
Robert E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:49   #10

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Club Cruseros members can supply all the information you need and right across the street is a restaurant that when we were there had a fish taco lunch special that was really cheap and really good.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:45   #11

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

While there are a number of yards in La Paz, Zeehag's recommendation of Berkovich's is a good one. Costs are competitive and it's the best protected yard when it comes to hurricanes.

The Club Cruceros Service Guide is a pretty complete resource to services in La Paz (http://www.clubcruceros.net/pdf/service_directory.pdf). It's a good go-to place for services available. It is also useful to check with the local cruising community to get first hand recommendations. There is a coffee get together every morning at the Club Cruceros Club house in Marina de La Paz. They're welcoming and provide a wealth of information and opinions.

For stainless work, I'd recommend Sergio Galindo, he does some of the best SS welding and fabrication in La Pa or anywhere else. It's my understanding he worked for Performance Structures, Inc (PSI), the Oakland firm that fabricated the stainless steel 'bean' in Chicago.

For wood work, I was impressed by the work I saw Peter (Pedro) Cookingham (John's brother) do on his own boat. He may or may not be in La Paz, as he's often out sailing the world on his own boat. If he's not available, ask the local community who they would recommend.

Should you need any electrical work, I'd recommend Victor Manuel Aviña Franchini highly. He's worked in as an electrician in the aerospace industry in southern California, speaks English and does professional work.

For canvas work and upholstery, Danny Gonzales at Pacific Threads does good work but is often in demand and busy. For general information about your boat, both Zeehag and Rich Boran (La Paz Cruisers Supply) would be good resources to contact.

Have fun, good sailing and take time to enjoy La Paz. It's a great town with a friendly, helpful community willing to help.
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:14   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherchronica View Post
Club Cruseros members can supply all the information you need and right across the street is a restaurant that when we were there had a fish taco lunch special that was really cheap and really good.
I think the restaurant/bar you remember was El Cayuco. It was torn down last year, the rumor is that Marina La Paz will use the lot for expansion parking.
El Cayuco did have excellent fish tacos for lunch. Now I have to walk all the way over to Claro Fish for lunch, about 6 blocks. With all the good food in La Paz, walking is a good way to work off the calories. Beware of the streets and "sidewalks".

Other than on the Malecon, when walking or driving one needs to keep his wits about him - the surfaces are rough and uneven. Sidewalk dropoffs aren't uncommon, parts of La Paz are a little hilly.

I've used Sergio for SS welding on my boat. He is very good, but a bit pricey. Malcom's SS shop behind Lubricante Peninsular is another shop for offboat SS work, and is close walking distance from both Marina Cortez and Marina La Paz. Ernesto's SS shop is a drive, but lower prices yet.

Besides Berkovitch, the Abaroa family has several boatyards next to Marina La Paz. Berkovitch is at the entrance to the bay, and is a ways out of town, so having a car, or Uber/taxi will probably be necessary. Berkovitch also has a boneyard of various salvaged parts and assemblies, so you might find useful components there at salvage prices. Club Cruceros runs a swap meet every first Sunday of the month, so you can sometimes find salvaged parts there.

There are several marine chandleries, but prices are typically high as they need to pay a nearly 20% duty to import goods. You are allowed $500 of duty free imports while flying or driving in.

Don't forget friendly haggling and negotiating just about in any transaction. First asking price is usually adjusted for gringos, and especially us "rich" boat gringos. Look at it as sport, rather than an absolute rigid requirement, most Mexicans are friendly and don't respond well to rudeness or pushiness. The cost of living for First Worlders is pretty low in the first place, except for things that aren't produced locally.

Don't be surprised when people you pass on the street say bien dia, or wish you provecho as they pass your table in a restaurant. La Paz has grown to be a city of nearly a quarter of a million, but still has the feel of a small town in some ways. Make new friends and don't just hang out with boaters.

There are big box stores (Walmart and Home Depot) when you need them.
It seems that the local police have been given back policing duties here in the last couple of months. Prior to that, the Federales and Mexican Marines patrolled the streets in pickup trucks with mounted light machine guns. Their patrols were ubiquitous. The waterfront areas always seemed very safe to me, much safer than in many cities in the US.

We'll see how the change in policing goes - so far so good.
Old 10-06-2019, 17:17   #13

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

We know the boat you just bought. Glad that she finally sold. Have been aboard with friends who were considering purchasing her. She does need attention.

La Paz has very good boat services but in case you find a bit of a Pandora's box with that deck work, you may want to consider bringing her over to Gabriel's yard in Guaymas. Much better prices on this side of the Sea of Cortez. In the last year or so, a couple of Hudson's have had all their decks replaced there. On YouTube, check out Sailing Zero. He did a complete deck rebuild of a Hudson Force 50 at Gabriel's and might just be a big help to you.

Congrats and good luck!
Old 13-06-2019, 20:53   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Maybe you know already, but Rich Boren on "Third Day" I believe is there in La Paz and I bet he knows a lot about where to get work done. He's got a Hudson Force 50 IIRC.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 21:12   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Sailfish View Post
We know the boat you just bought. Glad that she finally sold. Have been aboard with friends who were considering purchasing her. She does need attention.

La Paz has very good boat services but in case you find a bit of a Pandora's box with that deck work, you may want to consider bringing her over to Gabriel's yard in Guaymas. Much better prices on this side of the Sea of Cortez. In the last year or so, a couple of Hudson's have had all their decks replaced there. On YouTube, check out Sailing Zero. He did a complete deck rebuild of a Hudson Force 50 at Gabriel's and might just be a big help to you.

Congrats and good luck!
Thats great, I will check out Gabriels Yard, seams the yards around La Paz are a little pricey from what I am finding so far. Yeah I'm assuming I will need to replace much of the deck, if it is not as bad as I think then its a bonus.

Tags
Hudson, la paz, Mexico, purchase