Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2017, 08:39   #1

Boat: Endurance 35 Pilothouse Cutter
Swinomish channel navigation tips

Hello sellers I am planning a trip South through the Swinomish Channel between the mainland and Fidalgo island in the Pacific Northwest and I wonder if any of you have any suggestions or concerns that I should be aware of. I'll be using Navionics but I have paper charts as well. I have gone through this channel North about a year-and-a-half ago but I was not skippering the boat at the time . Any shared experiences would be appreciated. The boat is an Endurance 35 pilothouse the Mast is about 53 feet above the water and I draw 5 and 1/2 ft. what are the tides like and the current.
Glenn
AZ-Oldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 12:42   #2

Boat: Tartan 30 & Columbia 26
Re: Swinomish channel navigation tips

Definitely have to catch the tide right, check your tide/current charts and make sure the water's going with you ... but not too fast.

I think you're OK at 51' for the Rainbow Bridge, but see what the charts say.

As you exit the channel south, pay REAL close attention to the fore-and-aft markers and keep them lined up as precisely as possible. It's a real narrow dredge through there and if you get to the side you might sink your keel.

If there's any confusion about any of this give the LaConner marina a call, they're pretty friendly about offering advice and they know the channel well.
wristwister is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation