Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2017, 06:29   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 'Rogue'
Atlantic crossing November 2017- who is doing it.

And what's your departure date, departure port and destination?

We are planning to leave from the Canary islands mid November and head for Barbados. We were originally planning on joining the Odyssey rally as we hoped there would be a bunch of other boats with kids but there doesn't seem to be many this year.
We have 3 kids on board all under 10 and I have a mate coming up from New Zealand to join us as crew. The boat is a well equiped Beneteau oceanis 50.
I have crossed 3 times already and am a sailmaker by trade. Wife and kids haven't done it yet but my wife is a good sailor (2nd in the world champs before) We did have a partner boat to go in convoy with but it looks like his plans have just changed and he won't be departing until early December now.
If there is any one else out there who might want to go in convoy about the same time then let me know. We will be departing Palma around October 25th bound for the Canaries via a few short stopovers.

I haven't been to the Canaries yet so does anyone have advice on the best marina to go to.
What's the berthage cost and facilities like and is it worth getting there early to do some cruising?

Our final destination is our hometown of Auckland New Zealand in November 2018.
B00B00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 13:06   #2

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
Re: Atlantic crossing November 2017- who is doing it.

We plan to leave around the same time from the Canaries. We're on a Chris White Atlantic 47 Mastfoil. Not joining the ARC but planning to leave around the same time. Just my wife and I. Probably leave from the Balearics around the same time also. Was in Auckland on Agility last year and love it!
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 13:43   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

There's a ton of great sailing in the Canaries and each of the islands is a bit different, with different ecology, climate, etc. There are too many destinations to mention but make sure you hit Tenerife and take your kids to Tiede, the highest point in Spain, the highest point of any island in the Atlantic, and one of the tallest volcanos in the world. There is usually snow on top (just take a fleece, it's not freezing), and the cable car ride up is very cool, with an incredible view from the summit. The island is also a striking example of the weather effect of the trades. The NE side of the volcano is a dense lush deciduous forest, all the way down to Santa Cruz, while the SW end of the island, in the lee of the volcano, looks like the surface of Mars.

I would definitely pick up a cruising guide if you think you're going to be there long enough to roam around.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 13:51   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agility View Post
We plan to leave around the same time from the Canaries. We're on a Chris White Atlantic 47 Mastfoil. Not joining the ARC but planning to leave around the same time. Just my wife and I. Probably leave from the Balearics around the same time also. Was in Auckland on Agility last year and love it!
We will no doubt see you somewhere along the line then. I'm guessing you will be a fair bit faster than us for the passages. What's you plan for the Caribbean?
Let's stay in touch.

Yes Auckland is not a bad spot. Im not an Aucklander but have lived there for a fair while now and call it home.
Old 17-09-2017, 13:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
There's a ton of great sailing in the Canaries and each of the islands is a bit different, with different ecology, climate, etc. There are too many destinations to mention but make sure you hit Tenerife and take your kids to Tiede, the highest point in Spain, the highest point of any island in the Atlantic, and one of the tallest volcanos in the world. There is usually snow on top (just take a fleece, it's not freezing), and the cable car ride up is very cool, with an incredible view from the summit. The island is also a striking example of the weather effect of the trades. The NE side of the volcano is a dense lush deciduous forest, all the way down to Santa Cruz, while the SW end of the island, in the lee of the volcano, looks like the surface of Mars.

I would definitely pick up a cruising guide if you think you're going to be there long enough to roam around.
Thanks for the info. I doubt we will have more than a week or 2 there but was planning on checking out Tenerife.

Tags
atlantic crossing