Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 16:30   #1

When to Find Passage from Argentina

Hi all,
I am planning on being in Argentina...eventually. I would love to sail back home or towards home (USA). Is this an uncommon voyage? When do boats generally start on such a voyage? I plan on going to Ushuaia, which I understand has a sizable port, but would it be better to try Buenos Aires?

If there is a better way to research this please let me know, or if this would be better posted in some other section. I am very new to this.

Thanks!
Christopher
geachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 14:50   #2

Boat: One-Off 38" steel sailboat
Send a message via Skype™ to nemoofsweden
Re: When to Find Passage from Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by geachman View Post
When do boats generally start on such a voyage? I plan on going to Ushuaia, which I understand has a sizable port,
This is a old post but unanswered so I give it a try anyway. As I understand it you want to CREW on someones boat? The cruising scen in Ushuaia is not very big, to say the least. Maybe it's a sizeable port but mostly for cruise ships of the larger kind. There are also a few larger sailboats doing charter but most of them only leaves at the end of the season (March/April). Private yachts going either north on east or north on west side do so with a already trimmed crew I think. Westcoast also with a lot of storage filled up with diesel/food. It's not an easy place for a person trying to hitchhike on the waters.

Buenos Aires have large delta with a lot of marinas. There might be easier but still not easy since the route north for Brazil is not very crowded.

Hope that gives a little information for future readers

/Nemo of Sweden, at the moment in Puerto Williams, Chile in the Beagle

2012/13: Cruising Patagonia
nemoofsweden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Argentina, argentina